Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
gIn 1979 I bought a 788 in .223 Rem. It had a 1:12 twist. I shot 55 grain Spitzers in it but when deer hunting I used the Speer 70 grain Semi Spitzer. It stabilized it fine with the 1:12 Twist. I use these in my Model 700 ADL Sythetic .22-250 with 1:14 Twist. It stabilizes them fine. But remember, that's a Semi Spitzer. Big difference compared to a Spitzer.

Out to a couple hundred yards it's a hammer.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hard to beat a 60 grain Partition.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by rickt300
If I started using my 223 on deer what would I do with my 7-08?

Having seen a book deer that was not small, fall to a 69 SMK with a lung shot and not overly blown out, IE bullet worked just fine, there really isn't a lot of use for bigger rounds.

Heck we shoot most of ours these days with a 10mm Glock and a 300/221 with 194s at about 1000 fps... just doesn't take much unless you are after the once in a lifetime and need worst angle, max distance type of thing.... yes I'd hunt with such as a 338 mag in Deep South for BIG deer... or Mexico etc...

And having killed a deer past 550 with 223 and 75 amax, and with a truck of witnesses... the 223 can do a lot

338 WM for Big Deer in the Deep South?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Filaman
gIn 1979 I bought a 788 in .223 Rem. It had a 1:12 twist. I shot 55 grain Spitzers in it but when deer hunting I used the Speer 70 grain Semi Spitzer. It stabilized it fine with the 1:12 Twist. I use these in my Model 700 ADL Sythetic .22-250 with 1:14 Twist. It stabilizes them fine. But remember, that's a Semi Spitzer. Big difference compared to a Spitzer.

Out to a couple hundred yards it's a hammer.

This right here...^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

but I seem to use stuff that has proven effective for decades over something "new and improved"....

Most of my shooting while hunting involves 200 yds or less...

proper effective bullet and shot placement....

one of the guys from Montana should be along momentarily for their descenting opinion....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

Having seen a book deer that was not small, fall to a 69 SMK with a lung shot and not overly blown out, IE bullet worked just fine, there really isn't a lot of use for bigger rounds.

Heck we shoot most of ours these days with a 10mm Glock and a 300/221 with 194s at about 1000 fps... just doesn't take much unless you are after the once in a lifetime and need worst angle, max distance type of thing.... yes I'd hunt with such as a 338 mag in Deep South for BIG deer... or Mexico etc...

And having killed a deer past 550 with 223 and 75 amax, and with a truck of witnesses... the 223 can do a lot

Given a 225 ttsx or 210 ttsx, the 338 win mag is usually very accurate, and there isn't a deer out there than can survive the south end hit on a northbound deer if its the once in a lifetime deer and the only shot you have as he scent trails a doe with his head down at 300 yards.... I have used 300 mags and have come away, even with 180s, less than impressed on some long and angular shots.

I have never been disappointed with the 338 Win mag.

Again I'm talking once in a lifetime, like Mexico big bucks or south TX kind of thing when you never know what will walk out and how far off... and I"m comfortable with a 338 to way on out there, at least 800 yards.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by cas6969
Hunter A can see and shoot deer 500 yards away where he hunts. He can also watch deer run 500 yards and fall over if need be.

Hunter B can't see farther than 40 yards where he hunts. Anything that runs at all vanishes and needs to be tracked.

Hunter A and Hunter B need to be careful giving each other advice, arguing or telling the other he's wrong.

always interesting that tracking seems to be an issue. Maybe its a lost art. We really enjoyed it, but now have a dog and really enjoy watching the dog work. He LOVEs it and lives for it.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
A dog that will follow a blood trail is a rare dog, they are to be cherished! I remember reading a small book of the old gunwriter Byron Dalrymple on using the .243 on Hill country deer. At that time, the two most popular factory load weights were 80gr and 100 grain. He felt the 80gr was the fastest killer "but used for a high lung shot", tight behind the shoulder. It made sense to me. I feel all the smaller calibers are deadly, they just need to be used "surgically". But I find I 'always tried" to place a bullet "surgically", even on varmints! smile Also, trying to find a .224-.244 bullet that was an "all around" deer/big game bullet was a challenge for me. I still feel the right weight /style of mono is a good game bullet. The vmax style worked best for me on varmints/coyotes. I think it's (a) way too much fun to handload/shoot small caliber rifle and (b) to just settle on one bullet/style/weight, in any cartridge," leaves a lot on the table" ( I always wanted to use that term!) for overall satisfaction. smile

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
A dog that will follow a blood trail is a rare dog, they are to be cherished!

I've had the privilege of seeing a couple of those at work. Amazing.

You're right, they're rare. But when you have one, you have a real treasure.

DF

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
To top it off, Tiger was a stray, pup, broken leg on a RR track that my SIL husband would not allow to stay with them. We were to hold him till the shelter opened in a few days. Thank God he was at the house a few days, just flat fell in love with him.

His first ever try was sniff sniff, took off on a dead run right to the deer. He has missed a few. And in hindsight it was me not quite reading him right. And he has taken a long path to a few, RE using the wind instead of a straight line... but what do we expect.

He has found them over a mile away. Over 10-12 hours after they were shot even.

And a couple others he has not found there was not enough sign at the spot and I"m convinced those deer never died, were hit to high, due to all the hype of the high shoulder shot stuff for DRT needs for whatever reason, it often nets to high hits that are spectacular, until the deer comes to and runs off none the worse for wear, we usually find those beds about 100-150 yards away and usually can't find any blood in the bed or if so its just a tiny smear.

Tiger is still young, 5 I think, and in 2021 if plans go right, he will be with us in Alaska and hopefully doing fine and wonder what he is going to do if I can get him on caribou, moose and bear trails

Its almost so much fun watching him work, that I often have more fun with that than shooting a deer.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Worst part is he could have found my 11 point last fall, if the burrs were not so bad. We have not found good boots for him. He works until he just can't stand the burrs so we put him up, and followed that deer for hours, and managed to walk right by where he died just after we had jumped him one last time... only to find him there the next weekend... that SUCKED. What a waste of meat. Sometimes they just go though.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
No experience with a 223 in this configuration, but I took a cull buck at 30 yards this past season with a 130 grain 260 ELD-M.

Entered back of front shoulder, exited about 3” behind the offside shoulder. Left a fist size hole, buck ran about 40 yards and piled up.

Last edited by addicted; 06/12/19.

Drink and be merry for soldiers die for your freedoms.

Semper Fidelis!
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
These are tiresome!!!!!

Molon Labe
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Worst part is he could have found my 11 point last fall, if the burrs were not so bad. We have not found good boots for him. He works until he just can't stand the burrs so we put him up, and followed that deer for hours, and managed to walk right by where he died just after we had jumped him one last time... only to find him there the next weekend... that SUCKED. What a waste of meat. Sometimes they just go though.

WTF? Great ramblings.....

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
These are tiresome!!!!!

...says the guy who volunteered to read them...

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by blammer
ok, dumb question time.

for the 75 eld-m, what twist do you need to stabilize it?
I have a rem 788 I was thinking about using.

In an AR, can you load them to mag length or are they single feed only?

I'd be interested if the ogive didn't start before the case mouth when loaded to AR mag length.

If it's a factory stock 788 barrel it's 1 in 12 twist. You're asking a lot of that barrel with a 75 grain anything. I used to use Speer 70 grain Semi Spitzers in my 788. They stabilize fine in a 1:12. Killed deer well out to 200 yards, no problem. Other wise, if you still want to use 75 grain bullets rebarrel it to a 1-8 twist barrel. That's what I have in my new AR, 1:8 and I don't even plan on using anything heavier than 70 grains in it due to mag length limitations. In fact the Sierra 65 grain Game Kings is what I'll probably use for deer.

Last edited by Filaman; 06/17/19.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

Given a 225 ttsx or 210 ttsx, the 338 win mag is usually very accurate, and there isn't a deer out there than can survive the south end hit on a northbound deer if its the once in a lifetime deer and the only shot you have as he scent trails a doe with his head down at 300 yards.... I have used 300 mags and have come away, even with 180s, less than impressed on some long and angular shots.

I have never been disappointed with the 338 Win mag.

Again I'm talking once in a lifetime, like Mexico big bucks or south TX kind of thing when you never know what will walk out and how far off... and I"m comfortable with a 338 to way on out there, at least 800 yards.

300 win mag is plenty for any whitetail deer.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I would go lighter and faster, there is no need for a solid copper 75 grain bullet on a WT deer.

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I would go lighter and faster, there is no need for a solid copper 75 grain bullet on a WT deer.

If you’re referring to the ELDM, it ain’t solid copper.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
thanks for answering the question guys.

Nice to still see you here Rost.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I dont know how some of you with 1:12 or 1:14 have got these heavy 69 or 75 gr to shoot well.
When I was younger I had H&R single shot heavy barrel.
I don't know what twist it was, but it would key hole 62 grain

Last edited by Dre; 08/20/19.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1OntarioJim, 1234, 11point, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 72 invisible), 3,001 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,335
Posts18,468,674
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.