Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Looking for feedback on either my shooting or my rifle.

It's a Tikka Stainless Lite in 6.5 Creedmoor, SWFA 6X scope. 100 yard groups, factory ammo off bags. I'm going to check the stock bolt torque next.

Results are about typical. The best 10 shot group I got out of the rifle so far is the pic labeled ELDX. Other groups with that ammo has not been quite that good, but similar.

Attached Images
ELDX 1.jpg (78.94 KB, 571 downloads)
xp.jpg (81.28 KB, 355 downloads)
interlock.jpg (79.52 KB, 328 downloads)
Last edited by WoodrowFCall; 06/19/19.

Well, we don't rent pigs, and it's better to say it right up front because a man who does like to rent pigs is — well, he's hard to stop.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Until you've checked the torque on the action screws, made sure the scope mounts are tight, and set the trigger to 3 to 3-1/2 lbs I'd wait to pass judgement.

If all that is squared away, get some Black Hills 143 ELD-X ammo and shoot a group with that. If it doesn't shoot that well, then disappointment is in order.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
is it bouncing around on the bags?

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
let some one else shoot it

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I know a bunch of the guys here don’t have an issue with it, but I can’t shoot good groups with a 6x. I can’t always tell if I’m holding in exactly the same spot every time. Maybe a larger aiming point would help.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by timl
I know a bunch of the guys here don’t have an issue with it, but I can’t shoot good groups with a 6x. I can’t always tell if I’m holding in exactly the same spot every time. Maybe a larger aiming point would help.

The shape of what you're aiming at matters, as well as the size. With appropriate targets it's no biggie to shoot well below MOA with even 4x.

A good general purpose target that works with a lot of reticles/magnifications is a large open diamond. Targets made to suit specific reticle/magnification/distance combinations are even better.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I shoot groups of about the size you got with the ELDXs, or maybe 1/2" larger with my 6.5. at 100 yards. I use 160 grain Round Nose bullets.
But mine is a short barreled 1903 Mannlicher with iron sights.
[Linked Image]OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA by Steve Zihn, on [bleep]

So yeah, I'd be a bit disappointed with those groups from that rifle using that scope.

It may be that something is loose, adjusted wrong, maybe a bummer scope, or perhaps the loads you tried are some the rifle just doesn't "like". But with the "tool-set" you described, I'd want better.

Last edited by szihn; 06/19/19.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by mathman

The shape of what you're aiming at matters, as well as the size. With appropriate targets it's no biggie to shoot well below MOA with even 4x.

A good general purpose target that works with a lot of reticles/magnifications is a large open diamond. Targets made to suit specific reticle/magnification/distance combinations are even better.
With diamond shaped targets I regularly shoot sub MOA at 100 with a 2.5x scope. When my eyes were better I regularly shot sub MOA at 100 with iron {aperture} sights.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Check scope mounts.

Take the action off the stock.

Adjust trigger to 2 lbs.

Put the action back on, being careful to line up the slot in the receiver with the recoil lug.

Torque the action screws to 45 in/lbs

Try again.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

Got a recommendation of the target I should try?

Well, we don't rent pigs, and it's better to say it right up front because a man who does like to rent pigs is — well, he's hard to stop.
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
if all the above check out then maybe your front rest was loose,happened to me and opened groups up like you show but i had an aha moment and groups shrunk to 1/2",then move on to your hold whilst on the front rest. try laying your hand or wrist draped over the front ring and see what shakes out. i prefer the benchrest hold too with my non trigger/support hand holding the rear rest or some such but this hold is not particularly great for light rifles as they DO bounce a bit on recoil sometimes.
good luck,
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Check scope mounts.

Adjust trigger to 2 lbs.

Put the action back on, being careful to line up the slot in the receiver with the recoil lug.

Try again.

P

The scope mounts are tight and have nail polish on the screws for indication of something getting loose.

Will do.

Will do.

Will do.

Will do.

Thanks.... and thanks for the other replies.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I don't blame you for chasing all the accuracy you can get. Tikkas are supposed to be hammers. I'd check rings (seen new ones crack), screws, and stock torque. Prolly take a peek at the barrel channel clearance.

All that said, shots 1-5 of the ELDX ammo look to be right at MOA. It looks like it's trying but it's walking a bit after it heats up, JMHO.

I did read the memo that 5 shot groups are useless and now we're up to 10 for lightweight big game rifles, but I've yet to get the urge to shoot something 9 more times after it's already on the ground when 4 more will typically do the trick.............

Last edited by Potsy; 06/19/19.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by whitearrow
if all the above check out then maybe your front rest was loose,happened to me and opened groups up like you show but i had an aha moment and groups shrunk to 1/2",then move on to your hold whilst on the front rest. try laying your hand or wrist draped over the front ring and see what shakes out. i prefer the benchrest hold too with my non trigger/support hand holding the rear rest or some such but this hold is not particularly great for light rifles as they DO bounce a bit on recoil sometimes.
good luck,
Big Ed

Rifle was on bags.... right hand on trigger, left hand on toe bag. I'll have to look at this.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I’ve seen a few Tikkas have wandering zeros...

I’ve never seen one shoot worse after bedding the lug permanently into the stock.... but I’ve seen several shoot better, and maintain zero better.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I have a different view, as usual. A couple of years ago, I bought two T3X Lites in .308, one blued and one stainless. I mounted 6x scopes on them. I replaced the bottom plastic with aftermarket bottom metal. I was disappointed in the results from what I expected from 5 shot groups. The barrels heated up quickly. In a addition to the barrel heating, I found shooting the lightweight rifle a challenge. I sold one and got a stainless T3X CTR.

I put the CTR in a GRS Berserk stock and mounted a 6x scope, then took it to the range. From the get go, the CTR will put 5 shots into a group under an inch. It just sits there and does not move around. If I do my part, it will shoot half inch groups. If I don't, it shoots 3/4 inch groups. It will get a McMillan Game Warden stock with sniper fill.

I then decided to give the T3x Lite another try. I reassembled it with the factory plastic bottom metal and took it to the range last weekend. The factory guarantee is for 3 shots MOA at 100 yards. I stuck to 3 shot groups and waited for the barrel to cool down between groups. It was windy and the rifle was just as light as before. What I found was that if I watched the wind carefully and took care with each shot, the T3x Lite will put 3 shots into under an inch at 100 yards. I am the determining factor, not the rifle. This is easily sufficient for my hunting needs and I will probably put a McMillan Compact stock on it and stay away from the Edge lightweight construction.

My conclusion is that light rifles are harder to shoot than heavier rifles, that light barrels warm up more quickly than heavier barrels, that stiffer barrels shoot better and that I am the most important variable. This is old news. I don't think that I can expect any changes to these variables simply by purchasing one manufacturer over another.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Yes.

I've been disappointed in my new tikka 3 times now.

Camp is where you make it.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Here's how my T3X shoots factory 143's.......

[Linked Image]

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Yep! I’d practice more, or blame a buddy if I shot like that.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Check scope mounts.

Adjust trigger to 2 lbs.

Try again.

P

This.^^^

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wouldn't settle on it but I love tinkering. I have a few Tikkas....only one gave me fits and that was due to cracked filling/pillar area on a McM Edge that bedding quickly fixed.

Yup.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah i would try it with another scope with more magnification, at least 9 or 10 power, I never could shoot tight groups with a low power scope.....Hb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

I’ve never seen one shoot worse after bedding the lug permanently into the stock.... but I’ve seen several shoot better, and maintain zero better.

Is your 6 creed bedded? smile

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
[Linked Image]

After this I’m immediately suspicious of rings if a tikka isn’t shooting well

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I sure wish you'd post a pic of your lug bedding job if you don't mind. I'm with you.....can't hurt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Somebody put a Tikka sticker on your Remington. Try a 3/4” square “dot” to shoot at. I swear there’s nothing better for a 6X. IMHO.

In the meantime, check all that stuff. You ain’t in Tikkaville yet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And be sure mount screws aren’t hitting the bolt head.

Seen it....

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by jmd025
[Linked Image]

After this I’m immediately suspicious of rings if a tikka isn’t shooting well

Just wow! What rings are those? I suspect aluminum bodies. I went with sportsmatch in steel. I did use the pin though.

Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Yeah i would try it with another scope with more magnification, at least 9 or 10 power, I never could shoot tight groups with a low power scope.....Hb

I'll do that last, but honestly, I can see the dot just fine with the 6x. I'm pretty happy with the image, but if all else fails.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Tikka factory rings

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by fredIII
Yep! I’d practice more, or blame a buddy if I shot like that.

I probably should blame a buddy..... and practice more.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by jmd025
Tikka factory rings

Are they aluminum?

Looks like they are from the posts I've found.

Last edited by WoodrowFCall; 06/19/19.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WoodrowFCall

http://www.targetz.com/targetzlib/10058.pdf

And this

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by JGRaider

I sure wish you'd post a pic of your lug bedding job if you don't mind. I'm with you.....can't hurt.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Kimber7man

Is your 6 creed bedded? smile

You mean YOUR 6 Creed?

No.... hasn’t shown a need for it.... it’s s fuggin hammer.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have a few tikkas and always shot them off the bench with a short harris bipod and averaged around 1-1.25” groups. I forgot my bipods last fall and had to use my caldwell bag and the groups suddenly dropped to around .5-.75” in all 3 rifles. I no longer use the bipod when shooting these rifles from the bench and just stick to the caldwell bag and a rear bag as well.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JGRaider

[Linked Image]

Tikka recoil lug bedding done right.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks Dog.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

Try These.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JG, nice shooting, what scope you running. I assume yours is a sporter w/standard round barrel?

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I like at least a 10 power, 14 is better for me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some actually blame bad groups on the target? SMH

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Depends on what you bough it for.

If you bought it to shoot itty bitty groups, you might be disappointed shooting groups with a 6x scope at 100 or 200 yds.

If you bought it for a hunting rifle and are going to kill stuff bigger than chipmonks, maybe not.

How many times do you shoot 3,4 or 10 times at a game animal. Usually for me it takes one, sometimes two. Very seldom more.

You did not mention whether you shoot over a chrony to develp an accuracy vs a velocity correlation.

I do, and after I make a choice on the load I will hunt with, I'm particulary concerned with first shot out of a cold barrel that has been fouled in.

One could always take and shoot one round and if he was satisfied that he did his part, wait until the barrel reached ambient temperature, then fire a second round, then do the same, ad nauseum.

Or he could go on three different occasions and shoot the same target at the same distance. That might give you a better indication of what to expect from your "hunting" rifle!

Each target below, 1st shot out of cold barrel before the hunt.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I had an old insurance mentor that had a saying, when you know you know, and you know you know, confidence replaces fear.

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 06/19/19.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

With crosshairs or duplex or similar reticles, I recommend an X as the aiming mark, preferably one with legs on the X which are tapered. Something like this, although you can make a serviceable aiming mark of similar style with a Sharpie:

[Linked Image]

It is a great deal easier to hold consistently on the centre with this design than it is to try to hold on the centre of a circle or the corner of a square or diamond, and I've found it perfectly viable to shoot groups under 1 moa even with low-powered scopes. I've shot any number of sub-moa groups with aperture sights too, though with a different aiming mark - having the right aiming mark for the sights makes a big difference.

The other thing that you might try paying attention to is consistency in how you hold the rifle. I've found that holding a light rifle in both hands (ie weak hand on the forend) does have a beneficial effect on accuracy from the bench, as does maintaining consistency of such things as pressure of the buttplate against the shoulder. Make sure your trigger finger doesn't drag on the stock and swivels don't drag on the bags too. That may account for some of the stringing.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 65BR
JG, nice shooting, what scope you running. I assume yours is a sporter w/standard round barrel?

Thanks. Standard T3X , 4-12x LRHS.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by GeoW

g

Fake news! I shoot a 4x4 inch white square with nothing on it at all ranges with cardboard behind. It is like using the natural inclination of the eye to line up the front sight with the peep opening!

Last edited by bigwhoop; 06/19/19.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I 'borrowed' this pic of JG's target:

[quote=JGRaider

[Linked Image]

FWIW (?) At 100 yds I 'usually' use these target dots -- 2" dia.

FOR ME - I aim AT 6:00 PM. The whole circle is ABOVE my crosshair. I can tell when the gun goes off if I'm Hi, Lo, R, or L.
I normally use 8 X but have used less.

I don't like aiming at a large square or diamond - because there is so much room for the crosshair to BE IN or cover.
It didn't take me long to see the advantage of 6 O'clock hold.

Try it, you might like it.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I’ve got one that strings horizontally a bit. Reloads have tightened it up a bit, but it still string horizontally. I expect that I’ll nail down the issue without too much trouble.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

It's a Tikka Stainless Lite in 6.5 Creedmoor, SWFA 6X scope. 100 yard groups, factory ammo off bags. I'm going to check the stock bolt torque next.

Results are about typical. The best 10 shot group I got out of the rifle so far is the pic labeled ELDX. Other groups with that ammo has not been quite that good, but similar.

All these sob's will tell you their Tikka's shoot sub moa 10 shot groups all day long and they are the last guys to enter into the moa all day long challenge here. I'm thinking your superlite is doing just fine and probably about typical for 10 shot groups for most superlite tikka rifles. Mine was shooting about like that, until I glass bed it. Then groups shrank to a reasonable size. Keep in mind, your rifle is new and the barrel is still breaking in. You'll start seeing a little better accuracy after 100 rounds down the tube.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

All these sob's will tell you their Tikka's shoot sub moa 10 shot groups all day long and they are the last guys to enter into the moa all day long challenge here. I'm thinking your superlite is doing just fine and probably about typical for 10 shot groups for most superlite tikka rifles. Mine was shooting about like that, until I glass bed it. Then groups shrank to a reasonable size. Keep in mind, your rifle is new and the barrel is still breaking in. You'll start seeing a little better accuracy after 100 rounds down the tube.

The ultimate Paper Tiger has spoken....

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Just curious. We're you shooting from a bench, or an improvised device? Not trying to be a smart azz. Just curious. Folks like to start wrenching on rifles,before checking this very important box. Might be easier to address than changing a bunch of things on the rig. Tikkas can be challenging to assemble. Look into that first. Scopes can be a real problem also. But if you aren't shooting from a solid platform,good groups will be hard to come by.

I currently have 3 T3s. I've owned 13 over the years. The worst was an 06. Stainless synthetic. It shot right at MOA. Take a hard look at your bench and technique first.

Last edited by Otter6; 06/20/19.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Not fancy or expensive,but it sure helps sort out accuracy issues.
[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Just curious, is the 45 in/lb recommended from the factory or is that based on your experience? I was wondering what they should be torqued to.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by prarie_creek_station
Just curious, is the 45 in/lb recommended from the factory or is that based on your experience? I was wondering what they should be torqued to.

It's in the manual.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Here’s a clue dumbass. Most people don’t give a dam about your beloved challenge.

While you’re sitting at the bench ejaculating over groups, others are out getting it done with some 3/5 shot groups.

You ever dig up a pic of you with a dead animal?

All these sob's will tell you their Tikka's shoot sub moa 10 shot groups all day long and they are the last guys to enter into the moa all day long challenge here.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by GeoW

g

🥴 those targets are sure tricky.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

DUI is the cars fault. 😎

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

I'll have to count boxes, but that group was after about 80 rounds. I do think there have been quite a few suggestions that are worth looking at.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Otter6
Just curious. We're you shooting from a bench, or an improvised device? Not trying to be a smart azz. Just curious. Folks like to start wrenching on rifles,before checking this very important box. Might be easier to address than changing a bunch of things on the rig. Tikkas can be challenging to assemble. Look into that first. Scopes can be a real problem also. But if you aren't shooting from a solid platform,good groups will be hard to come by.

I currently have 3 T3s. I've owned 13 over the years. The worst was an 06. Stainless synthetic. It shot right at MOA. Take a hard look at your bench and technique first.

Concrete bench with sand bags on top. Pretty sturdy/stable.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Some targets just don't produce a good sight picture. It'll definitely make it harder to zero in a rifle.

I appreciate the input from everybody. Lots of good thoughts!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Some targets just don't produce a good sight picture. It'll definitely make it harder to zero in a rifle.

I appreciate the input from everybody. Lots of good thoughts!

Yep. Some people just have to be smartasses.

I can use a 3/8" dot for a target with my high magnification, fine reticle scopes but it won't make for a good sight picture with a 6x and Leupold heavy duplex.

One of the links I provided should give you a good target for the SWFA 6x you're using.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W
My favorite aiming target is simply an "x" drawn at right angles with a sharpie on white paper. Size and thickness of the lines can vary with the range being shot and magnification of your scope.

Easy and precise.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Otter6

Concrete bench with sand bags on top. Pretty sturdy/stable.

👍😎

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Not saying it's the shooter but when a tikka rifle with a fixed 6 SWFA won't shoot the shooter is suspect

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by Trystan
Not saying it's the shooter but when a tikka rifle with a fixed 6 SWFA won't shoot the shooter is suspect

Trystan

Really?!......🙄......Hb

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I don’t shoot “groups” near as well with a 6x.... as I do a 10x or 12x.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Did you try moving the front bag towards the end of the forearm? I’ve seen a few rifles shoot better with the front support about 2” off the front of the forearm.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I’ve never seen a Tikka really care what you shot it off... bipod, front rest, sandbag, ruck, rolled up jacket off the hood of the truck.... whatever.

I tend to not baby them though... and keep a firm grip with the right hand. Often I’ll shoot them left hand atop the scope, holding the rifle down on the rest/bipod/ruck/etc.

Another thing... the 6.5 Creed bucks a lot more than most people think, especially in a lighter gun. Hell, it’s still a 140 at 2800. They kick less than a .270 (but not a lot).... they’re still more stout than a .257 Roberts, and definitely more than any of the 6’s. Shooting them free recoil, left hand on the rear bag, can be tricky and lead to larger groups.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I’ve never seen a Tikka really care what you shot it off... bipod, front rest, sandbag, ruck, rolled up jacket off the hood of the truck.... whatever.

I tend to not baby them though... and keep a firm grip with the right hand. Often I’ll shoot them left hand atop the scope, holding the rifle down on the rest/bipod/ruck/etc.

Another thing... the 6.5 Creed bucks a lot more than most people think, especially in a lighter gun. Hell, it’s still a 140 at 2800. They kick less than a .270 (but not a lot).... they’re still more stout than a .257 Roberts, and definitely more than any of the 6’s. Shooting them free recoil, left hand on the rear bag, can be tricky and lead to larger groups.

Yep. I usually lay my left hand on the front scope ring. Never had much luck with it at the back bag. Especially if you ever tried squeezing the back bag to fine tune the shot. The only rifle I shot free recoil was a PPC bench rifle. Everything else is controlled.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R

Agree with this 100%.!!

Roy

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

Thanks, I will try it out!

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by geedubya
Depends on what you bough it for.

If you bought it to shoot itty bitty groups, you might be disappointed shooting groups with a 6x scope at 100 or 200 yds.

If you bought it for a hunting rifle and are going to kill stuff bigger than chipmonks, maybe not.

How many times do you shoot 3,4 or 10 times at a game animal. Usually for me it takes one, sometimes two. Very seldom more.

You did not mention whether you shoot over a chrony to develp an accuracy vs a velocity correlation.

I do, and after I make a choice on the load I will hunt with, I'm particulary concerned with first shot out of a cold barrel that has been fouled in.

One could always take and shoot one round and if he was satisfied that he did his part, wait until the barrel reached ambient temperature, then fire a second round, then do the same, ad nauseum.

Or he could go on three different occasions and shoot the same target at the same distance. That might give you a better indication of what to expect from your "hunting" rifle!

GWB

You stated this is for a hunting rifle, correct? I agree with this method, since the first shot is the one that counts. I understand shooting groups for consistency in the desired ammo, but 10/5 shot groups shouldn't be much of a consideration for your stated application. Once you have performed some of the suggestions these guys have suggested, try the cold bore method GWB stated above and post your results. For a hunting rifle, I bet you will be quite satisfied.

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Get rid of that SWFA and get you a Leupold. shocked Nobody else posted a pic of a 10 round group so how is a cherry picked 3 shot group a fair comparison?Like another poster said I am more interested in where the first bullet goes from a cold barrel.That only applies if you actually hunt,not post pics of 3 shot groups.Funny, I never shot in any competition that used 3 shot groups as a standard.I would be more than happy with that 10 shot group and would use it on any type of a large game hunt.JMHO,Huntz

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Huntz
Get rid of that SWFA and get you a Leupold. shocked Nobody else posted a pic of a 10 round group so how is a cherry picked 3 shot group a fair comparison?Like another poster said I am more interested in where the first bullet goes from a cold barrel.That only applies if you actually hunt,not post pics of 3 shot groups.Funny, I never shot in any competition that used 3 shot groups as a standard.I would be more than happy with that 10 shot group and would use it on any type of a large game hunt.JMHO,Huntz

If you'd be happy, why change the scope? wink

It's actually been pretty "bullseye" on cold bore shots. I'd still like to get this thing dialed in. The more consistent, the better right?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Originally Posted by Huntz

If you'd be happy, why change the scope? wink

It's actually been pretty "bullseye" on cold bore shots. I'd still like to get this thing dialed in. The more consistent, the better right?

Because they are fugly. grin
6X is plenty scope for normal hunting,but I gravitate to something lighter.I do not twirl the dial.I have had good luck with a 6X36 Leupold with LR reticle.Light,strong and once you know where the dots shoot you are good to 500 yards.Too often in the real world you do not have time to do much besides take a reading with your range finder and shoot.If I know were my bullets going to land your only variable is windage.If you have shot enough high power you should be able to read the wind through mirage or plant movement enough to get you a good Kentucky hold off for windage.These are basic shooting skills that will get you lots of game down with one shot, muy pronto.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The first Tikka (a 270) I had wasn't a great shooter until I ran some J&B through the bore and retorqued the action screws. Look for a target with bold horizontal and vertical lines in the center you can line your cross hairs up on. I have some Rangemaxx and Hoppes targets like that.

Here's a link to another good one

https://shop.brownells.com/shooting...msclkid=58e6bbebc92b152cdfade6e6e7d66cd5

Last edited by Bill_N; 06/21/19.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Maybe I missed it, but did you Drexel out the speed bumps a few inches behind the front swivel stud?

I have better luck with my Tikkas shooting with a firm grip front and back.

And I may have missed this, too, but did you try different loads? Mayb your rifle just doesn't like that bullet or powder.

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by IDMilton
Maybe I missed it, but did you Drexel out the speed bumps a few inches behind the front swivel stud?

I have better luck with my Tikkas shooting with a firm grip front and back.

And I may have missed this, too, but did you try different loads? Mayb your rifle just doesn't like that bullet or powder.

No, I have not. I'm going to wait on modifying the stock. I've read many pros and cons on doing so. Some guns shoot better, some don't.

Yeah, all factory stuff right now, but several different loads.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Oh, I did check my action screws. I should have stepped it up slowly, but I set it to 42lbs and got the screw to turn a good bit before clicking. I'm going to try that in the morning.

Edit: by a good bit, I mean at least a 1/4 turn on each.

Last edited by WoodrowFCall; 06/21/19.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly

Trystan

Really?!......🙄......Hb

Yes really and there's not a thing wrong with that nor would it be anything to be ashamed of. Perhaps his eyes don't work well with a low power scope? If they don't that's the shooters eyes. It is not likely to be the scope because fixed 6 SWFA'S are fairly renowned for being dead nuts accurate. So are tikka's. The man asked for advice so instead of leading him in circles I offered it straight and did leave room that it is a possibility it may be the rifle or scope. Odds are pretty low of a faulty tikka or SWFA fixed power scope though it is not impossible

Last edited by Trystan; 06/21/19.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

I agree the tikka doesn't much care what you shoot it off of. IME there also not finicky about holding perfect form. The tikka's I've owned have shown this repeatedly especially when putting a number of inexperienced shooter behind the rifle a lot more than once and watching them print a nice group.

Last edited by Trystan; 06/21/19.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oh, I did check my action screws. I should have stepped it up slowly, but I set it to 42lbs and got the screw to turn a good bit before clicking. I'm going to try that in the morning.

Edit: by a good bit, I mean at least a 1/4 turn on each.

I'd be surprised if it's not something very minor. You've had some good suggestions and I think you're on the right track. One thing at a time, process of elimination. You'll get there. smile

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

should have bought a Swede...........

>>>>>>>>>>>> grin<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

You guys are getting 2800 out of 140’s in your 6.5cm Tikkas? I’m getting robbed

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Went back to the range this morning. I tightened up the action to 45 in-lbs and rested my left hand on the scope ring.

I shot 2, 10 round groups with Federal 140 gn Non-Typical White Tail. I was very disappointed... 2 inch groups. Total crap.

Then, things got better.

The Hornady Precision Hunter 143gn ELDX has been the best shooting of all the ammo I've tried.... I only had 10 rounds of it left. 9 of the rounds hit 15/16 of an inch! That's more like it. The 10th round was an honest flier. I knew it before the recoil as I shifted as I pulled the trigger.

I went back and did another 10 round group with the Federal stuff and went back to an ugly group.

Attached Images
06222019 PH 143g ELDX.jpg (84.15 KB, 97 downloads)
06222019 140gn Fed NTWT.jpg (81.44 KB, 77 downloads)

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’ve used the 150 eldx in my Tikka 7mm-08 with excellent results. The 143 should be a winner.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Went back to the range this morning. I tightened up the action to 45 in-lbs and rested my left hand on the scope ring.

I shot 2, 10 round groups with Federal 140 gn Non-Typical White Tail. I was very disappointed... 2 inch groups. Total crap.

Then, things got better.

The Hornady Precision Hunter 143gn ELDX has been the best shooting of all the ammo I've tried.... I only had 10 rounds of it left. 9 of the rounds hit 15/16 of an inch! That's more like it. The 10th round was an honest flier. I knew it before the recoil as I shifted as I pulled the trigger.

I went back and did another 10 round group with the Federal stuff and went back to an ugly group.

Well, I was going to update my original post to reference this one as where I ended up. It doesn't look like I can.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Ok, I got a question on measuring groups. Someone pointed out to me that you measure center to center and not od to od.

See the attached.

So, which way is it?!?!?

Attached Images
147 ELDX group with calipers.jpg (91.5 KB, 87 downloads)

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I do outside to outside, then subtract a caliber.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

P

If that's the case, then I'm looking at a 0.674 inch 9 round group.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

P

So I guess you're not disappointed anymore? smile

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

P

Yeah, not much wrong with that 9 shot group. If the rifle will repeat that, you’re GTG.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
That ELDX group (the 9 shots) will make a lot of custom gun builders cry.

BC that's really, really hard to beat.

Good shooting. You have a keeper.

Didn't read this whole thread too see if you reload, but I would bet you can shrink it some with a handload.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
That ELDX group (the 9 shots) will make a lot of custom gun builders cry.

BC that's really, really hard to beat.

Good shooting. You have a keeper.

Didn't read this whole thread too see if you reload, but I would bet you can shrink it some with a handload.

Bought bullets, primers, and powder today. Going to order dies tonight.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by WhelenAway

P

So I guess you're not disappointed anymore? smile

Nope.... Just need to figure out a couple of loads and go hunting.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Ha! I guess its not the shooter then 👍.....(Like some implied) ....Good luck with your new rifle......Hb

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I like your attitude.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Nice! Enjoy finding a good load.

My Tikka really likes the 130 Sierra Gamechanger (or Tipped Gameking - whatever they are calling it)

And the deer don't like it very much, bang-flop.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I to have notice some time I get a jump on light rifles

Tater
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Now Woodrow...... (ha)

Would you tell us or show a pic of the TARGET you decided to use ? Just Curious.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine shoots the 143 ELDX’s ok but really shines with a healthy dose of H4350 and 139 Scenars. Here’s 5 at 100, I know it’s not a 100 shot group but it shoots this good consistently!....grin

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a T3x Lite Stainless Laminate 6.5 Creedmoor that goes to wandering after 4 rounds. If I shoot 3rds and wait a bit, shoot 3 more, wait and shoot and it will shoot MOA, maybe a little over. If I try to shoot 5, swap mags and shoot 5 more it looks representative of your original groups. I am not going to shoot more than twice when hunting, and then only if I get 2 culls come to the feeder on the same hunt.

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

P

That undersizes the group slightly. The hole prints on the paper are rarely full caliber size.

BMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
mathman, I use the two holes that are the furthest distance apart and measure the outside of one to the inside of the other. Would this give accurate group measurement? Thanks.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by BMR
mathman, I use the two holes that are the furthest distance apart and measure the outside of one to the inside of the other. Would this give accurate group measurement? Thanks.

Close enough for practical purposes.

It can be problematic when it's one ragged hole though. grin

Last edited by mathman; 06/24/19.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by jwall
Now Woodrow...... (ha)

Would you tell us or show a pic of the TARGET you decided to use ? Just Curious.

Jerry

shocked I didn't change it yet.

After reading and taking the advice that you need a target that will help you line out both the vertical and horizontal lines on the grid (and not just the center point), I noticed that the targets I was using actually had a thicker line for the center. I could actually see when my reticles were NOT on those grid lines. It satisfied what the other targets were doing. Since my printer stopped working and I wanted to go shooting, I stuck with what I had.

I do plan on trying other targets though.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P

P

That undersizes the group slightly. The hole prints on the paper are rarely full caliber size.

The way I measure groups undersizes them significantly, since I lie, mostly.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Saturday, with this thread in mind, I used this target

http://www.targetz.com/targetzlib/10013.pdf

to shoot a couple of 5 round groups at the end of the day. The scope was a Meopta Meopro 3-9x42 with their version of a duplex reticle. I shot one group on 4x and one group on 3x, both at 100 yards. The sight picture was good even with the center dot obscured, I just laid the reticle lines evenly between the big blocks. I'll measure them tonight, but for now I'll say if you're using the right target then shooting well under moa with 4x isn't a problem.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

P

P

What are you talking about?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m only a 1.5 MOA shooter for 10 rd groups from sticks/bipods/prone over a backpack in field conditions anyways. Worse if I’m cold. My 6.5 Tikmoor shoots a lot better than I can. I’ve settled on caring more about my 1-shot groups being where they are supposed to be after I slam the rifle against the vehicle on the way in and out or after I dial up to where the tape on my turret says I should be hitting.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P

P

P

What are you talking about?

I measure my groups, then assign whatever diameter I want.

That’s the lie part. And the groups never end in a 0, it makes the lie more believable.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

shocked I didn't change it yet.

After reading and taking the advice that you need a target that will help you line out both the vertical and horizontal lines on the grid (and not just the center point), I noticed that the targets I was using actually had a thicker line for the center. I could actually see when my reticles were NOT on those grid lines. It satisfied what the other targets were doing. Since my printer stopped working and I wanted to go shooting, I stuck with what I had.

I do plan on trying other targets though.

Thnx for your Xplanation.

If it works For You, that’s all that matters.

For myself—- I didn’t have confidence aiming in Large targets. Reticles subtend certain amounts of the target, depending.... On a large square or diamond I FEEL there is too much room for
the X to move around and I don’t know it.

It’s been way too long to remember from Whom or Where I got the idea of a
6 O’clock hold but I immediately recognized the advantage ** FOR ME.

With the circle on TOP of my Crosshair when the gun goes off —- I know if I’m
on, R, L, H, or L.

Like other things what works for one does NOT mean it works for all.

Thnx and Good Shooting

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Saturday, with this thread in mind, I used this target

http://www.targetz.com/targetzlib/10013.pdf

to shoot a couple of 5 round groups at the end of the day. The scope was a Meopta Meopro 3-9x42 with their version of a duplex reticle. I shot one group on 4x and one group on 3x, both at 100 yards. The sight picture was good even with the center dot obscured, I just laid the reticle lines evenly between the big blocks. I'll measure them tonight, but for now I'll say if you're using the right target then shooting well under moa with 4x isn't a problem.

The 4x group was 5/8" and the 3x group was 13/16". With the targets overlaid the 4x group fit within the 3x group, so the composite is ten shots inside 13/16" using no more than 4x.

You'll be OK with "only 6x" as you saw when you tried the right ammo. grin

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
So it wasn't the scope or the rifle......hmmmm, imagine that! I'm not saying tikka's with SWFA scopes shoot I'm just saying they don't not shoot! Grin

Trystan

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
So it wasn't the scope or the rifle......hmmmm, imagine that! I'm not saying tikka's with SWFA scopes shoot I'm just saying they don't not shoot! Grin

Trystan

Actually, it may very well have been the rifle. The only two things that changed were the action screws and me resting my hand on the scope to weigh down the rifle on the bags. I would have confirmed if I had more of the PH ammo. It also doesn't like some ammo.

I'm going to work up loads now and see what I get make that will consistently shoot. I guess then, I can try changing how the rifle is held.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Actually, it may very well have been the rifle. The only two things that changed were the action screws and me resting my hand on the scope to weigh down the rifle on the bags.

I think touching the rifle above the stock would have made all the difference - even if it didn't affect the way the barrel vibrated it would have affected the way it recoiled and recoil starts as soon as the bullet starts moving forward, and affects bullet departure point.

Seating position at the bench also affects point of impact - the more forward your torso is, the more effective weight behind the rifle and the more effect of the recoil movement. But I suppose accuracy should still be okay if the position is consistent, just point of impact will be slightly different compared with shooting off-hand.

Last edited by mauserand9mm; 06/26/19.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

Actually, it may very well have been the rifle. The only two things that changed were the action screws and me resting my hand on the scope to weigh down the rifle on the bags.

I think touching the rifle above the stock would have made all the difference - even if it didn't affect the way the barrel vibrated it would have affected the way it recoiled and recoil starts as soon as the bullet starts moving forward, and affects bullet departure point.

Seating position at the bench also affects point of impact - the more forward your torso is, the more effective weight behind the rifle and the more effect of the recoil movement. But I suppose accuracy should still be okay if the position is consistent, just point of impact will be slightly different compared with shooting off-hand.

How about torque of the action screws?

I had at least a 1/4 turn on both.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Not sure, but you could see how it shoots now with your hand on the scope, and if the same issue happens.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Mine shoots the 143 ELDX’s ok but really shines with a healthy dose of H4350 and 139 Scenars. Here’s 5 at 100, I know it’s not a 100 shot group but it shoots this good consistently!....grin

[Linked Image]

A little horizontal creeping on there. Watch the thumb pressure on that trigger hand. Another 95 shots and who knows! You kill stuff shooting like that?

Just kidding. Nice shooting there my friend.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Just wanted to update, this rifle is teaching me how to shoot. Being honest with myself, I'm beginning to realize how accurate it is and easy I can lose focus. I'm not sure it cares what ammo I feed it. I'm not consistently shooting 10 rounds.... But I'll work on that.

Today, I used the left hand on the toe bag. It's a light rifle, but putting my hand on the scope doesn't seem to make a difference.

Also, cold to hot.... It doesn't care.

Attached Images
Tikka 2.jpg (93.75 KB, 61 downloads)
group 2.jpg (89.71 KB, 64 downloads)
group 1.jpg (92.28 KB, 61 downloads)

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I like a story with a happy ending!

What began as a potential unicorn turned out to be just another typical tikka work horse~

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Right on Wesley. Nice shooting Woodrow. That'll work all day long.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 58 invisible), 2,357 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,638
Posts18,455,306
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.