Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Looking for feedback on either my shooting or my rifle.

It's a Tikka Stainless Lite in 6.5 Creedmoor, SWFA 6X scope. 100 yard groups, factory ammo off bags. I'm going to check the stock bolt torque next.

Results are about typical. The best 10 shot group I got out of the rifle so far is the pic labeled ELDX. Other groups with that ammo has not been quite that good, but similar.

Attached Images
ELDX 1.jpg (78.94 KB, 571 downloads)
xp.jpg (81.28 KB, 355 downloads)
interlock.jpg (79.52 KB, 328 downloads)
Last edited by WoodrowFCall; 06/19/19.

Well, we don't rent pigs, and it's better to say it right up front because a man who does like to rent pigs is — well, he's hard to stop.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Until you've checked the torque on the action screws, made sure the scope mounts are tight, and set the trigger to 3 to 3-1/2 lbs I'd wait to pass judgement.

If all that is squared away, get some Black Hills 143 ELD-X ammo and shoot a group with that. If it doesn't shoot that well, then disappointment is in order.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
is it bouncing around on the bags?

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
let some one else shoot it

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I know a bunch of the guys here don’t have an issue with it, but I can’t shoot good groups with a 6x. I can’t always tell if I’m holding in exactly the same spot every time. Maybe a larger aiming point would help.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by timl
I know a bunch of the guys here don’t have an issue with it, but I can’t shoot good groups with a 6x. I can’t always tell if I’m holding in exactly the same spot every time. Maybe a larger aiming point would help.

The shape of what you're aiming at matters, as well as the size. With appropriate targets it's no biggie to shoot well below MOA with even 4x.

A good general purpose target that works with a lot of reticles/magnifications is a large open diamond. Targets made to suit specific reticle/magnification/distance combinations are even better.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I shoot groups of about the size you got with the ELDXs, or maybe 1/2" larger with my 6.5. at 100 yards. I use 160 grain Round Nose bullets.
But mine is a short barreled 1903 Mannlicher with iron sights.
[Linked Image]OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA by Steve Zihn, on [bleep]

So yeah, I'd be a bit disappointed with those groups from that rifle using that scope.

It may be that something is loose, adjusted wrong, maybe a bummer scope, or perhaps the loads you tried are some the rifle just doesn't "like". But with the "tool-set" you described, I'd want better.

Last edited by szihn; 06/19/19.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by mathman

The shape of what you're aiming at matters, as well as the size. With appropriate targets it's no biggie to shoot well below MOA with even 4x.

A good general purpose target that works with a lot of reticles/magnifications is a large open diamond. Targets made to suit specific reticle/magnification/distance combinations are even better.
With diamond shaped targets I regularly shoot sub MOA at 100 with a 2.5x scope. When my eyes were better I regularly shot sub MOA at 100 with iron {aperture} sights.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Check scope mounts.

Take the action off the stock.

Adjust trigger to 2 lbs.

Put the action back on, being careful to line up the slot in the receiver with the recoil lug.

Torque the action screws to 45 in/lbs

Try again.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by mathman

Got a recommendation of the target I should try?

Well, we don't rent pigs, and it's better to say it right up front because a man who does like to rent pigs is — well, he's hard to stop.
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
if all the above check out then maybe your front rest was loose,happened to me and opened groups up like you show but i had an aha moment and groups shrunk to 1/2",then move on to your hold whilst on the front rest. try laying your hand or wrist draped over the front ring and see what shakes out. i prefer the benchrest hold too with my non trigger/support hand holding the rear rest or some such but this hold is not particularly great for light rifles as they DO bounce a bit on recoil sometimes.
good luck,
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Check scope mounts.

Take the action off the stock.

Adjust trigger to 2 lbs.

Put the action back on, being careful to line up the slot in the receiver with the recoil lug.

Torque the action screws to 45 in/lbs

Try again.

P

The scope mounts are tight and have nail polish on the screws for indication of something getting loose.

Will do.

Will do.

Will do.

Will do.

Thanks.... and thanks for the other replies.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I don't blame you for chasing all the accuracy you can get. Tikkas are supposed to be hammers. I'd check rings (seen new ones crack), screws, and stock torque. Prolly take a peek at the barrel channel clearance.

All that said, shots 1-5 of the ELDX ammo look to be right at MOA. It looks like it's trying but it's walking a bit after it heats up, JMHO.

I did read the memo that 5 shot groups are useless and now we're up to 10 for lightweight big game rifles, but I've yet to get the urge to shoot something 9 more times after it's already on the ground when 4 more will typically do the trick.............

Last edited by Potsy; 06/19/19.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by whitearrow
if all the above check out then maybe your front rest was loose,happened to me and opened groups up like you show but i had an aha moment and groups shrunk to 1/2",then move on to your hold whilst on the front rest. try laying your hand or wrist draped over the front ring and see what shakes out. i prefer the benchrest hold too with my non trigger/support hand holding the rear rest or some such but this hold is not particularly great for light rifles as they DO bounce a bit on recoil sometimes.
good luck,
Big Ed

Rifle was on bags.... right hand on trigger, left hand on toe bag. I'll have to look at this.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I’ve seen a few Tikkas have wandering zeros...

I’ve never seen one shoot worse after bedding the lug permanently into the stock.... but I’ve seen several shoot better, and maintain zero better.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I have a different view, as usual. A couple of years ago, I bought two T3X Lites in .308, one blued and one stainless. I mounted 6x scopes on them. I replaced the bottom plastic with aftermarket bottom metal. I was disappointed in the results from what I expected from 5 shot groups. The barrels heated up quickly. In a addition to the barrel heating, I found shooting the lightweight rifle a challenge. I sold one and got a stainless T3X CTR.

I put the CTR in a GRS Berserk stock and mounted a 6x scope, then took it to the range. From the get go, the CTR will put 5 shots into a group under an inch. It just sits there and does not move around. If I do my part, it will shoot half inch groups. If I don't, it shoots 3/4 inch groups. It will get a McMillan Game Warden stock with sniper fill.

I then decided to give the T3x Lite another try. I reassembled it with the factory plastic bottom metal and took it to the range last weekend. The factory guarantee is for 3 shots MOA at 100 yards. I stuck to 3 shot groups and waited for the barrel to cool down between groups. It was windy and the rifle was just as light as before. What I found was that if I watched the wind carefully and took care with each shot, the T3x Lite will put 3 shots into under an inch at 100 yards. I am the determining factor, not the rifle. This is easily sufficient for my hunting needs and I will probably put a McMillan Compact stock on it and stay away from the Edge lightweight construction.

My conclusion is that light rifles are harder to shoot than heavier rifles, that light barrels warm up more quickly than heavier barrels, that stiffer barrels shoot better and that I am the most important variable. This is old news. I don't think that I can expect any changes to these variables simply by purchasing one manufacturer over another.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Yes.

I've been disappointed in my new tikka 3 times now.

Camp is where you make it.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Here's how my T3X shoots factory 143's.......

[Linked Image]

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Yep! I’d practice more, or blame a buddy if I shot like that.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 1Longbow, 54 invisible), 2,669 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,362
Posts18,469,005
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.