-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There are too many issues with Pebble to address them all quickly and easily, but it is the wrong mine at the wrong time in the wrong place. There is a reason EVERY reasonable company that has signed on has left.

They want to dewater a major piece of the Iliamna watershed to 2,500' and build the largest dam in the world on the dewatered peat sponge. And that lake is going to hold back a pile of heavy metals which have been safely secured in the ground for millennia. Having disturbed by the mining means it will have to sit for decades until it is capped by silt. When the dam washes out because no dam that size has ever been built and virtually all bigger ones DO wash out it will cause tremendous damage and likely kill quite a few people.

There will be no jobs for Alaskans aside from a very few locals. The skill set required to run the huge machines is rare and will be imported from other projects. The money will be funneled out of AK to Canada mostly. There is a back-door plan in place to allow a Native Corp to run the operation which would eliminate the need for ANY bonding. But the people they kill will not the money anyway.

Oh, and the heap leach gold extraction they claimed would not be done is already on the planning table.

That said I am strongly pro-resource extraction but this is a horrible plan.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by 79S
And eco tour and fishing trips..so yeah I would be opposed to pebble as well if I were her. But I'm not her, and mining and oil are the life blood of this state.. so build the mine..

Quite certain in 2019 tourism’s economic impact for our state far exceeds that of mining; roughly 4:1 in the numbers I could find. I’ll certainly concede oil ... mining, maybe not so much. As ‘bender articulated, lots of people who aren’t necessary anti-mining (myself included) are strongly opposed to THIS mine. Heck, even Stevens was opposed to it ... let that marinade for a spell.

Uh you mean uncle ted? Get it right Jesus..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
There are too many issues with Pebble to address them all quickly and easily, but it is the wrong mine at the wrong time in the wrong place. There is a reason EVERY reasonable company that has signed on has left.

They want to dewater a major piece of the Iliamna watershed to 2,500' and build the largest dam in the world on the dewatered peat sponge. And that lake is going to hold back a pile of heavy metals which have been safely secured in the ground for millennia. Having disturbed by the mining means it will have to sit for decades until it is capped by silt. When the dam washes out because no dam that size has ever been built and virtually all bigger ones DO wash out it will cause tremendous damage and likely kill quite a few people.

There will be no jobs for Alaskans aside from a very few locals. The skill set required to run the huge machines is rare and will be imported from other projects. The money will be funneled out of AK to Canada mostly. There is a back-door plan in place to allow a Native Corp to run the operation which would eliminate the need for ANY bonding. But the people they kill will not the money anyway.

Oh, and the heap leach gold extraction they claimed would not be done is already on the planning table.

That said I am strongly pro-resource extraction but this is a horrible plan.

I’m just giving people [bleep], you articulated it very well. I read shoemakers article maybe she should of had you proof read and add what you wrote. Anyhow great info you put out..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
you forgot to add hint at the end...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great to hear you have hippy hunters in Alaska.

What is the daily bag limit?

I am a conservative with a lowercase "c".
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
She is an excellent writer. Very impressive! Like Will Rogers said about land, they ain't making any more of it. Spoil a pristine area and what are the chances of it ever coming back?

Old guy, old guns.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I am against pebble mining , when you remove the pebbles from a eco system the whole thing crumbles , pebbles are the building blocks of wilderness , they should just take the big rocks and let the pebbles grow up for future generations to argue about. Let the 3rd world mine their pebbles , they have the safest mining practices on the planet in the 3rd world. The 3rd world IS NOT A PART OF OUR ECO SYSTEM and its fine if they do it because at the end of the day we need the pebbles and honestly I don't care if the 3rd world destroys their environment because there isn't anyone there that will applaud my association with an image that has nothing to do with facts. People in the 3rd world don't even own protest signs , how could they possibly be taken seriously by anyone without protest signs.? Off to the capital building to protest pebble harvesting, hopefully the Empire will see me and publish a photo of my protest sign so that I can put it on facebook so I can get some attention , I mean save the planet .

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Count me as a hippie hunter too ! As a hunter I care about the environment as money is not my god !
And no , our hunts are not free, but we have always been conservative in how many and what we take .
Just the infrastructure required to start proposed Pebble mine will irreversibly alter the entire SW portion of the state and if history has taught us anything, it's that these massive mines always take the profits and leave the mess for the locals

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

94 members (AnthonyB, 35, 7x57Hunter, AGL4now, 160user, 41rem, 12 invisible), 968 guests, and 729 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,502
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.