Hop To
G
Gun_Doc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
For the gurus here:

It is pretty well accepted that scopes work best when near the center of their adjustment range. This begs the question of “How much adjustment is too much?” More specifically, “How much adjustment are you willing to tolerate before you consider adjustable mounts?”

Let us make the following assumptions:
- We are talking about “set and forget”, not ranging and adjusting.
- We assume too much adjustment is a combination of windage and elevation, specifically (following the Pythagorean Theorem):
Total Adjustment = Square root (windage^2 + elevation^2)
- We will say “too much” is some percentage of the total adjustment in either windage or elevation (which are usually the same, or at least close.)

Example: Elevation and windage adjustment range are both 52 MOA. We center the scope and find that to zero requires “12 MOA up and 8 MOA left.” This works out to:
Square root (12^2 + 8^2) = 14.4 MOA
14.4 = 27.7% of 52 (because 14.4 / 52 = 0.277)

So, how much is too much, 25%, 50%, 75% . . . what is your number?

Note: Assuming 52 MOA is the total adjustment up/down, right/left, we have only one half that amount from center, or 26 MOA. This means that in our example we have used 55.4% of the available adjustment (14.4 / 26 = 0.554). Either one works all long as everyone understands and agrees what the percentage is based on.

For our discussion, let us use the total adjustment range, i.e. 52 MOA in our example.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

With a top quality s one it should not be a big deal in my opinion. If the scope has the adjustment then you should be able to use the amount needed without having to spend more money. On correction to get the scope closer to center so it will function properly.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Gun_Doc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks for the reply jwp475.

Based on the lack of response, apparently people say trying to keep a scope near center is a good thing, but not many actually pay much attention to it?
Either that or I confused the question too much with too much math. Since some scopes have so much more adjustment than others, a percentage number was the only thing that made sense to me.

Last edited by GunDoc7; 06/19/19.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
IME a well-designed scope is very insensitive to erector position, in both image quality and erector function, but some of the poorer designs have had considerable image degradation when the erector is moved away from center by any more than about 15% of its total travel.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don’t know the answer, but I’d just start with it centered and run the dials towards the edge and while viewing a challenging scene, see if I could tell a difference with a given scope.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have Swarovski PH. 6-24x50 headed back from a check up. Bought the scope new in 1997. Zero used up almost all the windage adjustments. Scope was mounted in Talley rings. Swarovski tech told me the internals set in springs. Best to be centered. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
G
Gun_Doc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
IME a well-designed scope is very insensitive to erector position, in both image quality and erector function, but some of the poorer designs have had considerable image degradation when the erector is moved away from center by any more than about 15% of its total travel.

Just to clarify, so you mean about 30% of the available travel from center (1/2 the total travel)?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Correct, roughly +/- 15%

G
Gun_Doc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Correct, roughly +/- 15%

I think we are talking two different things.
Let's say a scope has a total of 50 MOA in both windage and elevation. I'm pretty sure we both understand that this means you can move about 25 MOA from center in any direction (combination of windage and elevation.)
Are you suggesting to stay within 0.15 x 25 = 3.75 MOA from center or 0.30 x 25 = 7.5 MOA from center?

Sorry for any confusion in how I asked for clarification.

Last edited by GunDoc7; 06/20/19.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
For the gurus here:

It is pretty well accepted that scopes work best when near the center of their adjustment range.

This may have been true 20 years ago.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I have a scope that I need to worry about the elevation or windage turrets being centered for it to work correctly or get the best out of that scope it’d be time to go shopping for one that doesn’t require it...

If a scope is advertised at 50 MOA of total travel then I best be able to use all 50 MOA without any comprises what so ever...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
Correct, roughly +/- 15%

I think we are talking two different things.
Let's say a scope has a total of 50 MOA in both windage and elevation. I'm pretty sure we both understand that this means you can move about 25 MOA from center in any direction (combination of windage and elevation.)
Are you suggesting to stay within 0.15 x 25 = 3.75 MOA from center or 0.30 x 25 = 7.5 MOA from center?

Sorry for any confusion in how I asked for clarification.

I haven't specifically tested windage, so my comments are mainly based on elevation travel. The worst scope designs that I have tested, for example, may have a total of 30 MRAD of elevation travel in the erector, but I start to notice optical degradation when adjusted any more than about 5 MRAD from center- so +/- 5 MRAD from center.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by elkhuntinguide
If I have a scope that I need to worry about the elevation or windage turrets being centered for it to work correctly or get the best out that scope it’d be time to go shopping for one that doesn’t require it...

If a scope is advertised at 50 MOA of total travel then I best be able to use all 50 MOA without any comprises what so ever...

+1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I use Burris Signature rings with inserts to make the "external" scope adjustments first when sighting in a rifle (getting the impact point to within 5 inches or so from the point I'm aiming at), then fine tune the scope to get it where I want it. The Signature rings work great.

Last edited by Win70addict; 07/03/19.
G
Gun_Doc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
^^^^^^^
I'm a fan of the Burris Signature rings as well, specifically the Signature Zee rings. They have other advantages in addition to the offset inserts to center a scope. My only real complaint is that they sometimes don't mount the scope as low as other rings. So I sometimes don't use them unless I need the centering feature, and that was the purpose of my original post, i.e. when is enough adjustment required that one should consider adjustable mounts?

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I do not know how scope function is manipulated internally.

With that disclaimer I am in agreement with those that think in the middle or close is a happy spot. So many rules of thumb in industry advise. Gas or liquid pressure gauges are said to be the most accurate in the middle, if system pressure is normal @ 500 psi, use a 1000 psi gauge. Apples & plums maybe, but from just strictly a mechanical viewpoint, it makes sense.

How would you want the shock absorber normally positioned on your car?

Just pondering.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
With instrumentation you pick a range twice the normal setting so that you get useful info for any excursions.

With springs I think the concern was that they lose effectiveness if compressed for a long time - shouldn't be an issue these days with a proper design and materials.

Last edited by mauserand9mm; 07/03/19.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,410 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,626
Posts18,455,133
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.