Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My first 3 deer were shot with 240 gr XTP bullets. Yes, they killed but I seen them drop. I recovered the bullets and back tracking I found no blood on the ground at all. I went to the 320 LBT and blood on the ground looked like a fire truck sprayed it. The LBT is a lot slower then the 240. It is thick here and a deer will be out of sight in one jump. Need a blood trail. Hydraulic shock is another myth. A revolver does not have what a rifle has. Another story for you. My mailman John brought his daughter to hunt every year with a .223. She did get a few but she shot a big doe in the front and Whitworth, me, John and her searched with no blood. An hour later I went to my other stand and found her deer. I gutted it to find the bullet only went 6" in. So much for shock. I went into my stand and shot a buck with my SBH. I dragged both deer to the trail and called John to get hers. I made John get her a 30-30 and she shoots larger bucks each year then her dad. Her .223 deer was over 200 yards from where hit. You will get hydrostatic shock from a .300 Weatherby but not from a revolver. You just make a bullet work.

GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
My first 3 deer were shot with 240 gr XTP bullets. Yes, they killed but I seen them drop. I recovered the bullets and back tracking I found no blood on the ground at all. I went to the 320 LBT and blood on the ground looked like a fire truck sprayed it. The LBT is a lot slower then the 240. It is thick here and a deer will be out of sight in one jump. Need a blood trail. Hydraulic shock is another myth. A revolver does not have what a rifle has. Another story for you. My mailman John brought his daughter to hunt every year with a .223. She did get a few but she shot a big doe in the front and Whitworth, me, John and her searched with no blood. An hour later I went to my other stand and found her deer. I gutted it to find the bullet only went 6" in. So much for shock. I went into my stand and shot a buck with my SBH. I dragged both deer to the trail and called John to get hers. I made John get her a 30-30 and she shoots larger bucks each year then her dad. Her .223 deer was over 200 yards from where hit. You will get hydrostatic shock from a .300 Weatherby but not from a revolver. You just make a bullet work.

You are confusing crappy bullets and having no hydrostatic shock out of a pistol which is why i dont believe anything you say. The idea that a revolver doesnt have the velocity to put a big big old hole due to hudrostatic shock is absurd but an often blithered theory. How a 320 hardcast with a meplat smaller than its diameter makes a bigger hole than a good expandable expanding to .7” or more isonly made because the bullets suck. The only reason anyone thinks a .223 wont just flatten a deer handily with a large wound channel isnt that the small fast bullet theory is wrong (on deer) but because the shooter doesnt use the right bullet. That is why i view your supposed experience so skeptically. Either you dont have the experience you say you do or your powers of observation are really poor. Basednon your 500 yard rock chuck revolver shot claims and 2” groups with revolvers at 500 yards and what not i choose both options. Your powers of observation are poor and your experience isnt what you claim it to be!

Actually doing something usually changes a persons previously worthless opinion
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sorry you do not understand. But you have zero experience. I fell into the wide meplat junk and with failures with a WLN too fast I made WFN bullets to find they were worse at speed. The pressure wave from the nose moved tissue out of the bullet path with too much velocity.
Slowing the bullet got rid of the secondary wound channel. Most of what you hit in lungs is AIR and it does not transmit energy like fluid. Did the deer breath out or in when shot? I am not allowed to post large pictures here but I can show revolver destruction as bad as a 577 express. Fix this site to post. My new lap top is 1 trig but a few KB's here is stopped.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
No it didnt. Wheres the big stuff you have shot.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have shot most guns to the .460 Weatherby and the largest revolvers made. But I only have deer here. Now there is a worry about the disease and if it is safe to eat meat. Now the tick that carries lime disease has a new virus that kills. But what I learned about bullets that might fail on deer would be just the ticket on elk, moose or drop an elephant.
Every picture I want to post is rejected by the size. That sorry thing gets sick.

IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I meant big animals since deer are teeny.

Whats a trig btw?!?!

Last edited by Tradmark; 06/19/19.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
1 trig byte of storage. Remember the old days with byte, then a kilobyte, a gigabyte was huge and you stuck sticks of ram to get faster. The hard drive went away with solid state memory. The desk top is gone, a watch has more power today. Look at cell phones.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Ok. Great, but what about animals that are big? Ya know, things larger than an average 12 year old

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The bigger they are , the more you slow the bullet down inside them so they end up deader .

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Big opinions and little experience all while arguing the laws of physics are always hallmarks of the village idiot.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I started about three paragraphs here yesterday, hit the wrong hot key and lost it. I took that as a sign from above.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SargeMO
I started about three paragraphs here yesterday, hit the wrong hot key and lost it. I took that as a sign from above.

Hahahahaha you are so right!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

But your post likely would have been as refreshing as a pasture lily , although surrounded by the continual wet plopping of bovine excrement.

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I’m really not the kind to like arguing, but this is such a trip when someone espouses such nonsense and years if experience essentially go to waste. Its kinda like going riding with a friend that has ridden a motorcycle for 40 years and still doesnt know how to correctly turn and brake. Except this is funny and not dangerous.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

I started to start a paragraph or two, then thought "maybe not." So I don't know whether to consider you brave or foolish! smirk

But we ended up in the same place!

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Dwell time??? I guess those fairies need time to sprinkle their dust. I have to give credit to BFR, he is relentless. If I ever start feeling sorry for myself, I just read a few of his posts and instantly start feeling better. Which is safer and more convenient than a trip to Walmart on EBT day.

Originally Posted by Tradmark
I’m really not the kind to like arguing, but this is such a trip when someone espouses such nonsense and years if experience essentially go to waste. Its kinda like going riding with a friend that has ridden a motorcycle for 40 years and still doesnt know how to correctly turn and brake. Except this is funny and not dangerous.

Fact, you can do something for decades and still be doing it wrong. This is lost on a lot of people.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
1 trig byte of storage. Remember the old days with byte, then a kilobyte, a gigabyte was huge and you stuck sticks of ram to get faster. The hard drive went away with solid state memory. The desk top is gone, a watch has more power today. Look at cell phones.

It's terabyte.

I remember those days too. Got our first IBM PC in 1983.

We still add or replace RAM chips to gain memory/capability/speed.

Conventional hard drives never went away. Solid state drives are not universal and they are still hard drives.

I'm sitting at a desktop right now, with the OS on an SSD and everything else on a conventional hard drive. People who fart around on Facebook or the internet in general might have gone to tablets and laptops but if you do it for a living, you're almost universally going to be using a desktop. I would never be without one. Unless I could retire early. Then I'd never look at another screen or argue with you ever again!

Stick to what you know....or at least the usual things you 'think' you know.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Problem was power outages even with a surge strip. Fried the mother board. I lost sound after the power went off 3 times in a row. Then I got the blue screen of death after 5 minutes. USB plugs were hot. We have the worst power company ever. At the desk top the power goes so restart and it goes out again and again even before the screen comes up. It zapped the power supply once so I changed it. The pin from the cord was burnt. Must have gone through more desktops then I can count. Bump it and the hard drive fails. Ram was running 82% with the max I could install. I built my own and my daughter built the rest. Best for the time but a year to the next advance was like 1000 years. Big hunk of metal with more wires in the way.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Who cares???

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
what i would really like to see is a 5 shot 2.5 inch barreled L Frame scandium 500 smith and wesson.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

708 members (10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 68 invisible), 3,496 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,379
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.