Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Was there ever a time when marlin wood finish varied and was not so shiny?

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

BP-B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

The old Marlins, in the 30's and 40's, had an oil finish.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Bought an 1895 CB and CBA that were NOT shiny. Made 'em shiny.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

The shine can be removed with steel wool, #0000.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Have both oil and shiny. Oil ones hunt in wet weather, shiny ones in nice weather or just shooting day with kids and grandkids they have to bring there own ammo. .22's and 30-30

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I just refinished my 39A golden with Frombys tung oil. Lots of patience and 1500 grit made a beautiful job.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

1500 grit? May as well use typing paper. 600 grit is about as fine as I use. After that it's steel #0000 wool. It works great for me but may not work for everyone.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Don't let that city-dweller with the "deer" after his name hear you doing that!

0000 works great! Restores shiny finishes to a rich lustre when followed with an old time paste wax, too. Clean surface before applying wax.

For a "flat" finish, 3M Ultra Fine "black" pads work well, also.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JBLEDSOE

1500 grit? May as well use typing paper. 600 grit is about as fine as I use. After that it's steel #0000 wool. It works great for me but may not work for everyone.

You are confusing the two common sandpaper grading systems. P1500 is only equal to the US standard 800 grit. Still mighty fine, but not nearly as fine as it seems.

Steel wool has no place in stock work, ever. That despite the fact it was used for a very, very long time.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Don't let that city-dweller with the "deer" after his name hear you doing that!

0000 works great! Restores shiny finishes to a rich lustre when followed with an old time paste wax, too. Clean surface before applying wax.

For a "flat" finish, 3M Ultra Fine "black" pads work well, also.

You are not worth any effort...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Pffft...you aren't able to wake up early enough...

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

( Sitka deer said;

Steel wool has no place in stock work, ever. That despite the fact it was used for a very, very long time.)

Little does he know--- Been using steel wool on stocks for over half a century. Works great if you know how.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JBLEDSOE

( Sitka deer said;

Steel wool has no place in stock work, ever. That despite the fact it was used for a very, very long time.)

Little does he know--- Been using steel wool on stocks for over half a century. Works great if you know how.

Please! Please! Do not believe me! Make a sample board and look at it under magnification and do another without the steel wool and you will stand a very good chance of seeing exactly why.

I did my first stock in '65. I used lots of steel wool until I found out why it is a bad idea. More to the point there are far better, easier ways to avoid the hazards produced by steel wool.

I have shown many how to test it and none believed in steel wool after.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

What's next, Townie...washing your car with bird frap because its natural scouring ability on paint finishes??

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

What's next, Townie...washing your car with bird frap because its natural scouring ability on paint finishes??

You have no argument, whatsoever, so you want to change the conversation?

More to the point, steel wool has been known as a bad thing for decades and you have not heard about it until now? Or did you ignore the advice without even bothering to test it?

Please, spend a few moments and prove I am wrong.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Defend yourself all you want (on the internet)...you OBVIOUSLY don't know how to USE materials let alone what some of them are (abrasive pads) OR how to clean your project to complete it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve heard the no no on steel wool and on most of my projects I have chosen to ignore it and use some 0000 steel wool in my finishing process. However if I was finishing some AAA stock I would not want to take any chance. As far as grit goes I’ll actually use 1000, 1500, & 2000 at the end before I rub it out with pumice and rotten stone. I am doing a stock off of a old Sheridan pellet rifle someone gave me and going with a wiping varnish. On this yea I am using steel wool and not too worried about perfection. The rifle will be donated to my buddies place I use and be there for anyone who wishes to have a go with it, so I’m not worried about it being perfect. I have also used spray lacquer on some stocks because it is a easy finish to get a glass like finish when you aren’t worried about a finish that needs to be able to withstand harsh hunting conditions. That finish only gets wet sanding with 1000 grit or above.

Last edited by JimHnSTL; 06/20/19.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My bad for derailment of the original posted question. Here is a little something that if accurate sheds light on the question about finish.

https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/marlin-collectors/75258-marlin-stock-finishes.html

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

OK, I have tried the steel wool on wood test, After cleaning the steel wool sample of wood, I am sorry, but I see no difference. The uncleaned wood has tiny pieces of steel wool in the finish, so what? It cannot be seen with the naked eye. If folks wish to NOT use steel wool, that's alright everyone has their own refinishing process. However from what I see, I will not be changing, steel wool works for me and will continue to do so.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Well said.

So there ya go...the SCIENTIFIC consensus is someone working with a wooden stock should C L E A N (Leftist regions may spell it c-l-e-a-n or possibly c-l-o-w-n) the surface after using ANY abrasive of their choice. Various tools, methods and products are available for this stage of "finishing"...search them, but don't use g oogle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
530 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 51 invisible), 2,301 guests, and 1,063 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,179
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.