Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have run into a litany of problems getting my trophies home from Africa. The taxidermist wanted more money-always something else. Then, the shipper wanted money. They kept giving me the wrong trophy list. They took too long with acquiring permits and they expired before they could ship. Then they somehow messed up and sent my stuff to Qatar. Coppersmith is pulling their hair out trying to sort it out. Now it has arrived in LA and USFW won't release it because the crate contains warthogs (of all things). Latest is that they want me to have it shipped to a USDA approved taxi of which there are only 2 in Arizona. Waiting for a phone call...

Is this typical??

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not exactly typical but not unusual either. Coppersmiths has always handled my African trophies and they are the best at getting the messes created by African shippers sorted out. I think the fact that your stuff is in USA is good. Just keep jumping thru the hoops you’ll get there.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The warthog hassle is pretty standard. Luckily, when we were hunting Africa quite a bit, we used a taxidermist in Helena that was good to go.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I used Coppersmith for my Zim 2017 hunt (no taxidermy) and again for my Namibia 2018 hunt (taxidermy done there). The Zimbabwe stuff is at the taxidermist in Abilene via Houston as entry and the Namibia stuff is leaving there next week to Houston for entry where I will pick it up. Zero issues.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I guess they talked the USFW agent into releasing it without the USDA taxidermist. Now to get Qatar air to release it to Coppersmith and I'll drive to LA.

NRA Benefactor Member

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Looks like progress, that’s great.
I used coppersmith three times, zero problems.

NRA Patron
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If I remember correctly, the warthogs must go to a USDA facility for inspection because of a disease or parasite that they can carry. It's just bad luck that there are only 2 in Arizona. Since there are only 2 in the state, they both probably make routine trips to pickup safaris. They'll probably pick it up for free if you use them for the work. Mine came into Houston, where there's probably a dozen USDA Certified taxis. He picked it up and handled the paperwork. However, I had to pay a daily storage fee at the airport that totaled $800 because my crate sat for 17 days before they got to it and would release it. I would get it out of the airport asap.

Last edited by TxHunter80; 06/20/19.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Like TxHunter

I will add to stay after them. One shipment got held up in NY and they were going to hit me with a $100 a day storage fee (extortion fee). Luckily my agent got them off high center quickly. No problem with the Warthog then but it had been stamped and certified in Africa. They also had so much arsenic on them no one wanted to handle them which worked to advantage.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
No, I would have to pay for freight to Scottsdale from LAX; just one more hand in my pocket. My son and I will do most of the taxidermy so we will save a little there. Coppersmith is supposed to call me Monday with the final bill.

NRA Benefactor Member

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I had a shipment get hung up in San Francisco once, so had to pay for a few extra storage days. It sounded as if was due to an anti-hunting official, but that may have been my interpretation.

All of this is why I quit having trophies shipped back from Africa on most safaris. Took their photos and ate some of the meat, and that was it. The mounted head of my last kudu, in fact, hangs in the John Klemp Angling and Hunting sporting goods store in South Africa. John's son Rob has now had the store for many years, and is also a PH. The bull I got with Rob in 2007 was the biggest free-range kudu any of his clients ever got, so I gave it to him.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like the trophy deal is a serious money maker for everyone in the chain. I would go were it not for shipping doubling the expenses.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute
Sounds like the trophy deal is a serious money maker for everyone in the chain. I would go were it not for shipping doubling the expenses.

It doesn't double the expenses.

Regardless, do what Mule Deer does and don't bring any trophies home.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I had a shipment get hung up in San Francisco once, so had to pay for a few extra storage days. It sounded as if was due to an anti-hunting official, but that may have been my interpretation.

All of this is why I quit having trophies shipped back from Africa on most safaris. Took their photos and ate some of the meat, and that was it. The mounted head of my last kudu, in fact, hangs in the John Klemp Angling and Hunting sporting goods store in South Africa. John's son Rob has now had the store for many years, and is also a PH. The bull I got with Rob in 2007 was the biggest free-range kudu any of his clients ever got, so I gave it to him.

Interesting. John - does taking only photographs of the trophies cause any problems with the PH/outfitter?

I want to hunt Africa, but am on a pretty tight budget. Also the house is kind of running out of room for more skulls & antlers and rugs. But mostly, it's the budget. I'm after the experience, and photos are fine with me.

Maybe a simple tanned hide and a bleached skull or two at most. Otherwise, photos.

Thoughts?

Thank you, Guy

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Guy,

Have never had any problem with the PH at all. They don't make much, if any, money on the trophy prep/shipping.

Only planning to bring a little home doesn't really save much money. Typically there's a minimum charge for shipping ANYTHING to the U.S., because it has to crated up in a cargo box, and expediters like Coppersmith also charge a minimum fee. Both of those can grow with more stuff, but you're looking at a minimum of $1500+. If you go with a buddy who is willing to share shipping (both the container and costs) it can be cut in half, but in my experience the basic deal keeps growing, often with unexpected costs once everything gets here. Which is why I quit bring stuff back.

On the other hand, if you just want skulls, they're pretty much ready to put on the wall after the basic cleaning done by the safari company. Tanning hides, however, generally costs a lot--but you can buy already tanned hides of common animals for FAR less than the cost of tanning hides from the animals you take.\

Would be happy to discuss more details if you want to e-mail or call.

John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Guy,

Have never had any problem with the PH at all. They don't make much, if any, money on the trophy prep/shipping.

Only planning to bring a little home doesn't really save much money. Typically there's a minimum charge for shipping ANYTHING to the U.S., because it has to crated up in a cargo box, and expediters like Coppersmith also charge a minimum fee. Both of those can grow with more stuff, but you're looking at a minimum of $1500+. If you go with a buddy who is willing to share shipping (both the container and costs) it can be cut in half, but in my experience the basic deal keeps growing, often with unexpected costs once everything gets here. Which is why I quit bring stuff back.

On the other hand, if you just want skulls, they're pretty much ready to put on the wall after the basic cleaning done by the safari company. Tanning hides, however, generally costs a lot--but you can buy already tanned hides of common animals for FAR less than the cost of tanning hides from the animals you take.\

Would be happy to discuss more details if you want to e-mail or call.

Both the shipper and Coppersmith told us that we could not share a crate. USFW rules I guess. Originally that's what we planned to do. Upon checkout, the PH told us they changed the rules. I was mad at the time as he had led us to believe we could ship our stuff today- take only the best stuff home. I guess they won't do it because if ONE person has an issue with one animal, it holds the whole shipment up.

I am scheduled to pick my stuff up Thursday in LA. We'll see how it goes.

NRA Benefactor Member

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hmm. Will do some googling about the new USFW rule. Have shared crates several times, on occasion between three people.

John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm in the same boat with lack of space. I also was surprised that dip/pack and shipping/taxidermy cost more than the whole rest of the trip. Has anyone just had their trophies completed as euros in Africa and shipped home? No dip/pack or shoulder mounts. I'm just curious if it could be done for a couple thousand or so.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
As I mentioned above, after the skulls are cleaned and dipped over there, they're pretty much ready to be Euro-mounts, whether just hanging the skull on the wall of screwing it to a plaque (or a "shield," as some taxidermists call them). You can buy the wooden plaques here and do it yourself, but I generally just hang the skulls.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TxHunter80
I'm in the same boat with lack of space. I also was surprised that dip/pack and shipping/taxidermy cost more than the whole rest of the trip. Has anyone just had their trophies completed as euros in Africa and shipped home? No dip/pack or shoulder mounts. I'm just curious if it could be done for a couple thousand or so.

This is all I've done and am doing currently. Seven heads (impala, nyala, waterbuck, eland, red lecwhe, fallow deer, cape bushbuck), will be cleaned and bleached. Lecwhe and bushbuck hides will be tanned and backed by black felt. Crating, permits etc will bring the bill to about $2000 USD.

I'll worry about the shipping when the taxidermy is done.

I do it this way to save on space and cost. Hopefully I can afford to go again sooner.

After two trips, I have taken 17 species of antelope. I am beginning to run out of species I'm interested in and easily accessible from my friend's place near Cathcart in the Eastern Cape. www..hotfire.co.za

I will not be bringing duplicate heads home (or really shooting duplicates) unless they are exceptionally bigger than what I already have. I missed a chance at a 54" kudu. That would have come home! Just a reminder to be on the sticks instead of just yacking about size and then the big guy comes out and immediately bolts. The big ones do not often give you second chances, be ready!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The most economical thing to do is to cut down to a skull cap and if possible split along the skull suture. In some places it is possible to bring these back as luggage saving numerous expenses and hassles. A buffalo skull is expensive to ship and is not needed for a traditional mount. Part of the charges are based on the size of the container as well as the weight. De- articulating the skull plate reduces this four fold. It also seems to raise less concerns with customs as all parts are visible.

If I go again I will be like MD and if it can't go in my baggage it will stay behind. The first times even a suitcase full of biltong wasn't confiscated, the only suspicions aroused were that it might be hashish. But taking a bite of some and offering some to the agent were enough to get it cleared. Absolutely don;t try this now not even the pre-packaged biltong although the little biltong cheese rounds are usually OK they have been pasteurized.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

492 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1minute, 19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 57 invisible), 2,720 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,929
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.