Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Thought someone might recommend a good forum to talk with folks and maybe trade parts. I am just getting started good with an older Trek 820 Singletrack and it's the most awesome bike I ever rode on. I picked it up for just $100 and the previous owner has kept it in top shape with premium components. Been riding the hills and fields here about every day since I got it. Really enjoying my new life and new body. Down to 190 now, from 330 last August. This bike will do the last bit to put me in top shape.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Birdie will be along soon.
Schwinn made the best banana bike.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Bicycling used to be my life. I started working in bike shops in high school and put myself through college doing that. Bikes were my only transportation until I was out of college and then I quit riding altogether (that was 32 years ago). I just started riding again a couple of years ago and have really been enjoying it, but I'm pretty much a novice now with all the technology changes over the years. I got rid of my old mountain bike, bought a new one and also bought a new road bike. Can't really help with a forum recommendation but have stumbled on a few while doing research on the subject.

Last edited by JGray; 06/20/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven’t rode for [bleep] in nearly 20 years. Used to love it though.

My oldest is 5. He’s getting me back into bikes. Dusted off the GT ProSeries a month or so ago. Took a bit to get used to riding a 20” bmx bike as a middle aged fat azz. Lol.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This is the forum I use, my handle there is “Sharpshin”, I occasionally post on the Touring and Commuting boards.

https://www.bikeforums.net/

Their collective advice over the last six years has been invaluable.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
This is the forum I use, my handle there is “Sharpshin”, I occasionally post on the Touring and Commuting boards.

Thanks a bunch. Hope to see you there.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I ride most every day that conditions allow, about 20 miles. Ride into winter if roads are clear and no salt slop, not real fun and not long when cold, but do-able.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by MadMooner

My oldest is 5. He’s getting me back into bikes. Dusted off the GT ProSeries a month or so ago. Took a bit to get used to riding a 20” bmx bike as a middle aged fat azz. Lol.

Five?

You just a young buck.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just a flunky here 🤷🏻‍♂️ No bike shorts, lol heck no kickstand, no water bottle holder, no lock

Liked to ride to work, only 7 miles one way, only added 15 mins to my commute and got a bit of a workout in by pushing it a bit.

Then the ride home.

Biking is good, easier on the knees, well unless you crash

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cannot vote yet. Not old enough.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Thought someone might recommend a good forum to talk with folks and maybe trade parts. I am just getting started good with an older Trek 820 Singletrack and it's the most awesome bike I ever rode on. I picked it up for just $100 and the previous owner has kept it in top shape with premium components. Been riding the hills and fields here about every day since I got it. Really enjoying my new life and new body. Down to 190 now, from 330 last August. This bike will do the last bit to put me in top shape.

Sounds like you got a really good deal on the bike. Keep the chain and gears clean.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

Pinkbike

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Get that GT on a pump track and let the smiles begin.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I used to, don’t anymore

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
mtbr.com is where I go for info etc. They do have a classifieds sections but I have not done much trading there.

I just put 40 miles on riding Fisher Cr and then the Elk Mountain loop around Stanley, ID. in the last couple days. Trails are in excellent condition, weather is perfect.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Just a flunky here 🤷🏻‍♂️ No bike shorts, lol heck no kickstand, no water bottle holder, no lock

Liked to ride to work, only 7 miles one way, only added 15 mins to my commute and got a bit of a workout in by pushing it a bit.

Then the ride home.

Biking is good, easier on the knees, well unless you crash

Did you smell like a Kenyan at work?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm finishing up putting together an early 90's Trek 820 for a friend to use as a college bike. It was cheap enough to build with used but decent parts that if some crackhead steals it that it won't hurt much.

I have a bunch of bikes, but except for one I've bought them all used for cheap and/or built them up from a bare frame. I ride a road bike, mountain bike or an early 90's Schwinn CrossCut depending on where I decide to ride for the day.

What parts are you looking for?What do you have for tradebait?

I like Deore or Deore XT for mountain bikes. For newer road bikes 105 is about my price level with Suntour being my favorite for older bikes.

Last edited by dodgefan; 06/21/19.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Just about out the door for a ride on the Wiouwash trail in NE WI. The bike is an '88 Trek 520 in good original condition. Steel frame Treks from the '80s and '90s hold up well and are a good value on the used market, especially the mountain bikes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Yep, the best bicycle forum on the internet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by trplem
Just about out the door for a ride on the Wiouwash trail in NE WI. The bike is an '88 Trek 520 in good original condition. Steel frame Treks from the '80s and '90s hold up well and are a good value on the used market, especially the mountain bikes.

Very good US made steel steed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
104 members (160user, 10Glocks, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 11 invisible), 1,673 guests, and 753 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,775
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.