Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Well, I screwed this up. I applied for myself and my son to unit 22 for Antelope. I was told it was a 100 percent chance of draw because there is not much public land. Like an idiot I didn’t do a group application and son did not draw.

There are no leftover tags in unit 22, but there are in unit 20 which is right beside unit 22. The rancher I am going to hunt with in 22 said he will see if he and find a ranch for my son to hunt on in 20, but if not, we will have try try on the limited public ground (assuming he draws a leftover tag).

If I have to hunt public how do I know which roads are public. I can see the BLM tracts on the map, but I can’t tell if the road into them is public or not. What is the best resource to find out??

Any other suggestions- besides applying as a group next year??

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OnX chip in your Garmin for land ownerships.

I think there are some smartphone apps too.

Sorry to hear about your predicament, good luck to your son.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The best thing for hunting, is the On x phone app and gps chip. They don't always tell the road situation, either, though. Most private areas, where the roads are closed, are clearly marked by the landowners-from my experience.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by sbhooper
The best thing for hunting, is the On x phone app and gps chip. They don't always tell the road situation, either, though. Most private areas, where the roads are closed, are clearly marked by the landowners-from my experience.

OnX is what we all use nowadays.. Makes it easy to make sure we are staying on the right side of the line on the right trails and roads!

Semper Fi
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
You need to contact the Road and Bridge Superintendent for the county. They can tell you exactly which roads are indeed public. The online maps are not legal representatives of what is actually public roads, OnX is not always right. Counties will have an online map but read the disclaimer carefully then contact the Super.
Google the county and then the R&B depart. will be shown. Have specific questions for the Super and they will get back via email. BLM may have a map available in their local office that shows public roads.
Also look online here to see if any landowners are giving access:https://wgfd.wyo.gov/public-access/hunter-landowner-assistance

Access for your son should be easier to find than for yourself, make sure the landowner knows you do not have tag for that area if he gets a leftover.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks WYTex, good info,

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
23-2, buck antelope private land. 1k leftovers. just east of the powder river

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Dang man sorry to hear about your predicament here I hope things come through for your son.

Tell ya what my son and I’ve had pretty awesome adventures even when only 1 of us had tags.

As you likely know, all we can do in calculating probabilities of tag allocation in Wyoming is HOPE last year’s results are duplicators this year which they weren’t unfortunately.

Or fortunately; this “demand side” challenge is a sign of a vibrant economy!

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks EFW.

I think that is the plan, to have him come along for the adventure. I’ve also located a doe antelope hunt Ivan take him on in Montana so I will likely do that too,

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you do end of drawing a unit 20 doe tag send me a PM, might have a couple suggestions for you. I also didn't draw my doe tags this year and did put in for the leftover in unit 20. Plenty of antelope in that unit and plenty of hunters so its not the most enjoyable hunt but you can probably fill a tag. Be sure to also get a hold of the game warden for the area - depending on which part of the unit its either going to be Justin Dodd who is a good guy or up towards Buffalo I believe its Jim Seeman.
Justin phone is 307-738-2455, Jim is 307-684-5223.

I will be there from 10/13 to 10/18 - good luck to you. By the way, some of the nicest bucks I've seen the last few years have all come out of 22 so you should have a great hunt.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

104 members (Akpilot, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, akpls, 13 invisible), 1,632 guests, and 847 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,516
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.