Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
The 250 grain Partitions,the parts flew about 30 feet into the air.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
BP-B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
The 250 grain Partitions,the parts flew about 30 feet into the air.

laugh

At least it didn't overpenetrate... cool

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
While there's little doubt that the .340 WBY is a very potent and long range cartridge.....and the Weatherby rifle is up to the task.....I look back on the days when I owned a .338 Mag.....( a M-70 BTW).....

Every time I took it to the range, it's recoil reminded me a lot of my .375 H&H.....and that's why I still have a .375 H&H.....and no .338 Win Mag.....

If you're a die hard bull elk hunter, the .340 just might be as good as it gets.....while I sure don't miss my .338 Magnum, I'll cheer you on with yours and n exchange I ask that you don't look down on the .30-06 I have found to be extremely adequate.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I love mine. I built it in 1980. Mark X Mauser action opened up to 375 length. 26" Douglas barrel. Model 70 safety. Got a California English walnut blank from Don Allen and my MSP trooper buddy did the stock work. It weights 9 lbs with the 3.5x10 Leupold. I broke a sight base screw and had them drilled out to 8-40. No problems with them now. It is extremely accurate with H-4831 and 250 Partitions. I use 300 wby brass necked up to .338 then fire formed. In 1982 I carried it up a mountain outside of Leadville, CO in the Holy Cross wilderness area along with a 90 lb pack with my brother and 2 other police officers. Didn't get a shot, but did get High Altitude Pulmonary Edema after 3 days. (12,000 feet) Started coughing up blood. My brother carried me down to the truck parked at 10,000 feet and then made two trips for our gear. Spent the next 5 days in Vail hospital in intensive care. I thought I was in great shape, 34 years old, 6', 190 and could run 5 miles. Doc said I went up too fast and my body couldn't adjust. Kind of like the bends. Wife says no more trips for elk over 5,000 feet. I'm 70 now and just retired a year ago. Just shoot the 340 for fun. It kicks some, but still less than the 416 mag and 458 mag I used to own.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

HAPE, high altitude pulmonary edema doesn’t care if you are a finely tuned athlete with an at-peak functioning cardiovascular system or an out-of-shape desk-rider. It can strike those who go up too fast from too low.

The procedure should be to “go slow”, “stay well hydrated”, “take a couple of aspirin a day”, and at the first symptoms of headache, cough, or other general malaise, head down.

I remember at an anesthesia conference at Breckinridge, a local emergency medicine doc telling us they would have one or two deaths a year at the resort. These would be folks who’d fly in from the coast, get their skis and be on the hill in hours, get sick, go to their condo and die in their sleep. Sometimes, young, fit folks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got an Accumark in .340 WBY as well. It kills no doubt, on both ends.

I tried several bullets, the last being the 200 Accubond, as it didn't have as much kick as many other bullets I shot out of it. I killed a cow elk with it in 2012 and haven't shot it since. It just sits in the safe these days. Back in my younger and dumber days I killed black bear, caribou, elk, whitetail and mule deer with it.

Kind of thinking about selling it. I just don't like the recoil.

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
George, You are right about HAPE. As soon as I walked into Vail Hospital and Doctor said, "Hello Flatlander". Just like you said, I went up too fast and it didn't mater what my physical condition was. We drove straight through from MI to Colorado, parked the truck at 10,000 feet. Slept for the night and in the morning hiked up to 12,000 or so. I am very lucky my brother and buddies got me out of there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yeah, Bob Hagel did like the 340..and the 378, and the 270 Wby among others. And I don’t think he spared the gas much. The load I mentioned above was very accurate though not max in my rifle, and true, it may not have offered anything above a 300 Wby or even a 300 Win, but it did it at lower pressures.

I’m not a “long range” guy anyway; meaning past five hundred yards which used to be long range before laser range-finders and dependable elevation turrets. And that is mostly the era I used it in. I knew the drops at three hundred, four, and five hundred yards and while “it knocked elk off their feet” sounds hyperbolic, I saw it time after time.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I used one in 1998 with H4350 and the then 210 xbt. It was clocking right at 3200fps. I killed zebra, impala, blesbuck and then went over to Namibia and shot the big gemsbuck. They are as big as a spike elk, big cow elk. I later on, in 2007 used its "twin" ( as far as I'm concerned) the 338 RUM and 180 NAB/H4831 340w is a fine round, and I too would start with the 185 TTSX or 180 NAB. Have a ball pard!

IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I have used my .340 on several elk,a whitetail buck and an antelope... It is a sure killer.. The recoil is not bad, but I have a 26 " number 5 on mine, but that is my std. barrel for all my rifles.. If I ever go for brown bear that will be my rifle.. Hagel love it with a 210 Nosler.. Bob was way ahead of his time, as far as I am concerned... Plus he was a hunter.. Except in Alaska where he was required to have a guide, he hunted on his own.. Many or most of the famous gun writers used guides most of the time. A bad shot, or an animal that runs too far is the guides problem, not theirs..

Molon Labe
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
My favorite elk rifle is still a synthetic stocked Wby. Its probably taken 2 dozen elk, and multiple deer and antelope, all in the 3-500yd range. It shot factory 210 partitions in to bug hole sized groups. Sadly,they discontinued the loading. They clocked 3250fps and the factory 225s were 3080. Since moving back east, it’s sat idle in the safe. My summer reloading project includes some 225 AB and RL26. I hope to use it on deer this year....just because. I could never get my handloads in 210 to match the velocity and accuracy of the factory fodder at the same time.

I too was a Bob Hagel reader. As I recall, he noted the 210s penetrated nearly as deep as the 250s while shooting much flatter. I liked them because even at 500yds, they’d expand in the lungs of an antelope.

Some folks are intimidated by the recoil. I find it more it comfortable than an identical rifle in 300wby. More of a shove than a crack. I would opt for a longer eye relief scope in the event you find yourself shooting from an awkward position. Mine has had a Varix-III 3.5x10 on it since the mid 90s.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by vapodog
While there's little doubt that the .340 WBY is a very potent and long range cartridge.....and the Weatherby rifle is up to the task.....I look back on the days when I owned a .338 Mag.....( a M-70 BTW).....

Every time I took it to the range, it's recoil reminded me a lot of my .375 H&H.....and that's why I still have a .375 H&H.....and no .338 Win Mag.....

If you're a die hard bull elk hunter, the .340 just might be as good as it gets.....while I sure don't miss my .338 Magnum, I'll cheer you on with yours and n exchange I ask that you don't look down on the .30-06 I have found to be extremely adequate.

My .340 and .338 went down the road, still have a .375 H&H. Also have .300WM and 7RM, so feel well enough armed. No gaps there, IMO. I use more of my non-mag rounds.

DF

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
In Bob Hagels day the 250 was a "semi spitzer" so one reason he favored the 210 but he might still if he were around. Same as Dirt farmer skipped from 300 to 375 for Africa but was sorely tempted by the mediums for Alaska. All of them 8RM, 338, 340 & 358 Norma.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
My one experience with a 340 Weatherby really impressed me with it's recoil! You guys must be some tough SOB"s!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Got my first 340 in 1974, used it on a few elk and deer over the next 10yrs then sold it. Got the itch again back in the mid 90s and built one on a M70 action. Great round for Alaska bears and moose, and of course elk IF you can manage the recoil. A fast 33 cal is a spectacular killer on large game when used with good bullets.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Originally Posted by rickt300
My one experience with a 340 Weatherby really impressed me with it's recoil! You guys must be some tough SOB"s!

I've been a 30-06 guy my whole life, I am definetly in uncharted waters for myself stepping up to a 340 Bee. But part of my reason for getting into a medium bore was less an absolute 'need' for the capabilities of a fast .338 but more from a desire of the personal challenge of teaching myself to shoot well (with a lot of practice) a heavier recoiling rifle.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
It’s an awesome rifle/cartridge combo. Congrats!

When I first bought mine 11 years ago, I thought the same way you did. I bought and first tried out some cartridges with lightweight bullets because of my fear of the infamous recoil. I went to the range and shot some 200 ad 210 grain bullets and was underwhelmed with the recoil. Loaded up some 250gr partitions and didn’t notice any difference.

I have settled on the CorBon factory 225gr TTSXs (https://shopcorbon.com/index.php?ro...oduct_id=72&mfp=11-type-of-cartridge[Rifle]&sort=p.price&order=DESC), which leave my 26” barreled Accumark at 3,140 fps (through three separate chronos).

They seem to work well in that rifle.

3-shot groups last fall at 100 Yds sighting in a new scope:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Okay on game:

[Linked Image]

I still have those 200gr & 210gr cartridges sitting idle in boxes in the garage 11 years later.

Now there's a report you can take to the bank!

My moose wasn't quite that big but those 250gr Partitions leaving the muzzle of my 26" Browning A-Bolt (rechambered from a .338 Win Mag with a new .375 H&H clip) at 3000 fps, put him down on the spot after a couple of steps. And no CNS or heart hits, just lungs at 165 yards.

I made my brass from .375 H&H necked in a .340 die and fire-formed using about 35 grs SR4759 at 2100 fps for the 200gr Nosler BT. Accurate, and a great deer load! That brass was given to me at our range, once fired. I never used Weatherby .340 cases. They were stronger than the Weatherby stuff if Hagel was right in his experience, which I believe he was. They lasted "forever" with the one load used for hunting - the 250 NP at a ten-year average of 2997 fps over the Chrony. RL-22 proved best at an average MOA of 1.25", and I shot 1000 through it. Primers were WLRM.

Rifle weight with scope and ammo = about 8.75 lbs. Never ever worried me in hunting. Calculated recoil = 54 ft-lbs. At the bench, I first expected some unpleasantness, but it proved no more intimidating than a .375 H&H, which bothered me not at all. To be honest, though, I was into shooting some heavy-kicking rifles in those days. Hey, I still am! My favorite is a .458 Win Mag! But now at 83 I use a Lead Sled for that!

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Last edited by CZ550; 06/24/19.

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've played with a lot of hard recoiling rifles. The 340W I had was built on a Match Grade Arms Mod 700, 24" barrel with a godawful "holes all around" brake. The problem was not so much the reoil as to what it did to scopes! Since it was so light ( right at 5.5 pounds) when the brake "arrested" the backward motion of recoil, it mimicked what happens with an air rifle piston. Scopes are really made and "tested" ( if you think about it) with recoil one way. I killed a Leupold 2.5x8 10 days before my SA hunt. I put on a Zeiss Conquest (3x9 I think) and it went out after those few animals. I had the rifle rebarreled to 338WM, Magnaported and only shot the 185xlc after my return. I gave it away to a friend later. The 338 RUM was built on a Howa action, Boyd laminate and a different 3 hole style brake. It was heavier, and a sweet shooter, but again, I only loaded the Nosler 180 AB. My outfitter friend offered me big bucks for it so I sold it to him. It was one of the ugliest rifles I ever had (it had been given to me) and I can't abide ugly ( not in my dog/cat/woman or rifles! ha) No, it doesn't matter if the world thinks "I'm" ugly either!!!! smile

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Used a "cheap" Bushnell 3 - 9 x 40mm on mine for the decade I owned it. Never a problem and NO "brake"!

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
360 members (160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 40 invisible), 2,033 guests, and 899 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,962
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.