Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
tcp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I have found that occasionally, If I have leveled the reticle in a scope and then look backwards through the scope from the objective end, the reticle is NOWHERE close to level. Conversely, If I level it looking backward from the objective, it is quite obviously not level when viewed from the ocular end.

Some scopes are quite dramatically off, others less so.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thank you

Last edited by tcp; 06/21/19.

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Parallax? Sometimes esp with metallic cross hairs you are seeing some reflection/distortion off the glass. This may only be with older scopes as I think now both sides are blacked out.
Or the simple answer it is not level. The lenses can magnify this too.

Last edited by Tejano; 06/21/19.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Distorted image from the other lenses when looking in the opposite direction of how they were arranged. Not a thing to worry about if your xhairs are truly level.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’ve never looked through the other end, will have to check that out!!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've noticed the same thing but don't know why it's so. It's gotta be some sort of optical illusion though. I just make sure its levelled from the ocular end, and then don't check from the objective end so I don't start having doubts.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Why would you look backwards through a scope?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Funny rifle looney stuff. I would suppose it would be a consideration if you shot like Annie Oakley with a mirror and the gun over your shoulder

Reminds me of when one gun writer asked a Zeiss representative of why the scope would emit bubbles when immersed in hot water. The reps response was why would you do that? He probably said vy wud you do dat?

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I like putting my scope backwards to hunt. It makes it more of a challenge because everything is further away.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Does the bullet come out faster when you’re looking down the barrel or when you’re behind it?

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
[Linked Image]

Light bends and inverts all around while going through the lenses. The ocular end has the correct image because it is arranged as such. The objective does not as it isn't built to be looked through that end. This is all really that simple.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tejano
Funny rifle looney stuff. I would suppose it would be a consideration if you shot like Annie Oakley with a mirror and the gun over your shoulder

Reminds me of when one gun writer asked a Zeiss representative of why the scope would emit bubbles when immersed in hot water. The reps response was why would you do that? He probably said vy vud you do dat?

Fixed it. Can't have careless errors in an anal-retentive thread, now can ve?

What fresh Hell is this?
T
tcp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks for most of the replies. As the picture above shows, I understand that the image is manipulated by mirrors and lenses prior to viewing it from the ocular end. I doubt that there is a mirror or lens that functions to rotate the image 20 degrees clockwise for example. Most of my understanding of light waves involves the image either being reversed as in a mirror or flipped 180 . I was hoping that Mule Deer would offer an opinion as clearly he has an in depth understanding of the workings inside a rifle scope.

My guess is that viewing the reticle backward thru the objective is a more sensitive means of assessing wither the internals of the scope it self are square and plumb or not. I have noticed this to varying degrees with the rifle scopes I own, and the (few) spendy ones seem better.

Thank you.

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yeah, I used to look back through the scope to check that I got the cross hairs square (almost like a "second opinion") but it only causes confusion now, so I don't do it. If you do line them up square from the front end, they'll be way out when viewed normally. For lack of a good answer at least it's a source of ridicule.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Why would you look backwards through a scope?

That's how you use it when you're reloading.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
This is interesting!

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
This instrument is best, by far, tool I've ever used to mount a reticle level. I shoot out to 2000+ yds and having a trued up reticle is critical.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...ertical-reticle-instrument-prod6097.aspx

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use a deck of playing cards to mount all my scopes...

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I like putting my scope backwards to hunt. It makes it more of a challenge because everything is further away.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It comes out faster if you run backwards away from the target, but goes faster and hits harder if you run towards the target. Saw it on
CNN, I think. 🤦‍♂️

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by GSSP
This instrument is best, by far, tool I've ever used to mount a reticle level. I shoot out to 2000+ yds and having a trued up reticle is critical.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...ertical-reticle-instrument-prod6097.aspx

Thanks for the Tip. Having thrown away plenty of money on a plastic and aluminum reticle tru and God knows how many Wheeler engineering POS there are , whats 56 dollars. I bought the level from larrywillis.com and that is one quality level for sure FWIW

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
695 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,722 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,558
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.