-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Correct me if lm wrong but the balistic energy of a 6.5 creedmore is 1225 ft pound at 600yds. Probably good enough for deer and coyotes. But recommended energy for large and DG is 1500 ft pds of energy. 1000 yd would be good for shooting paper only.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
GB1

P
pete53 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
Correct me if lm wrong but the balistic energy of a 6.5 creedmore is 1225 ft pound at 600yds. Probably good enough for deer and coyotes. But recommended energy for large and DG is 1500 ft pds of energy. 1000 yd would be good for shooting paper only.

not sure what your asking or showing ? but if i am at a 1000 yd. bench match i wanna just use my 6 BR this cartridge may have poorer ballistics but still will shoot as good or better groups at 1000 yards with no recoil.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pete53
Originally Posted by 378Canuck

not sure what your asking or showing ? but if i am at a 1000 yd. bench match i wanna just use my 6 BR this cartridge may have poorer ballistics but still will shoot as good or better groups at 1000 yards with no recoil.

Hence the 6.5 PRC for Long Range hunting.
Carries more energy further, if that’s what matters.

300 PRC, 28 Nosler, 30 Nosler,RUMs , the Bees etc. All get it done.

But if you really mean business out to 1200 ish it’s a
33 Nosler , RUM on up to the Lapua .

With recoil attenuation ( brake ) the Norma makes a lot of sense

Plenty of Energy downrange with those

Last edited by 338Rules; 08/15/21. Reason: Typos

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
P
pete53 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
338 Rules, yep your right about power i have a custom 338 Lapua with a brake ,i will use for elk hunting this fall and yes 338 Lapua has power and shoots good a long ways out but i don`t enjoy the big boomers anymore at the range . i also in the process of rebarreling with a new Brux barrel chambered in a 257 Weatherby mag. 7 1/2 twist 28 inch barrel for out west buck mule deer and with these new longer heavier 25 caliber bullets i can shoot a long ways out too with this 257 Weatherby mag.. but for sure fun at the range for me i kinda like the new to me wildcat 257 Creedmoor seems to shoot real good with 135 Berger bullets easy , not as much noise and the recoil is low too. as i and many other shooters get older noise and recoil are no longer enjoyable at the range for me and many other shooters too , many of us like to handload and shoot rifles its just for fun anyway ,it sure beats golf ! >> as an old friend said about golf : sure seems like a long ways to walk without gun?

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
you might be right ? not sure ? but when i posted 257 Creedmoor it appears it has got some attention.

I get that, I just thought it might be worth bringing up. There are hundreds of guys shooting these fast twist bullets from Berger and Blackjack in every 25 cal cartridge you can imagine. I just was hoping to clarify since this is the only place Ive seen it referred to as the 257 Creedmoor.

"The first shot, is worth all the rest"
IC B2

P
pete53 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by coldboremiracle
you might be right ? not sure ? but when i posted 257 Creedmoor it appears it has got some attention.

I get that, I just thought it might be worth bringing up. There are hundreds of guys shooting these fast twist bullets from Berger and Blackjack in every 25 cal cartridge you can imagine. I just was hoping to clarify since this is the only place Ive seen it referred to as the 257 Creedmoor.

the one thing i did post about was i had custom dies made by Whidden for me because Redding wanna me to pay plenty for common fit deluxe dies and i feel Whidden dies for my use are perfect fit for my chamber since. i sent them once fired Lapua brass from my rifle and Whidden made them to fit my 257 Creedmoor chamber and for under $500.00 i got 5 neck bushings and few other things too, was a great deal for me. i also have 2 - 257 Roberts with 7 1/2 twist and have ordered a Brux barrel 7 1/2 twist that will be chambered for a 257 Weatherby mag. 28 inch barrel . so far the 257 Creedmoor is a good accurate rifle and the 257 Roberts are too the 7 1/2 twist is answer even the 115 gr. 25 caliber bullets shoot better it seems.

P
pete53 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
once hunting season is over or by early January i plan on shooting the 257 Creedmoor alot . in Minnesota there will be some fun shoots out to 500 yards in my area so i will see what this little cartridge can do . until then have a great fall hunting , shooting and be safe ,Pete53

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

It's case design is very close to the 2Fifty-Hillbilly.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
P
pete53 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 358wsm

It's case design is very close to the 2Fifty-Hillbilly.

and to be honest its really close to just the old 250 Savage with a new fancy name. Creedmoor , another great old cartridge is 256 Newton designed before 1920 now its a 6.5 bullet in many different cases and new fancy names. surprised the 30-06 has not got a new fancy name too ?

P
pete53 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
today is sunny ,still and 30 degrees ,shot a 5 shot - 100 yard group was 1/2 inch out of my 257 Creedmoor 4 were in a ragged hole but the last shot made it a 1/2 inch group my shooting house was 60 some degrees and with end of barrel in the cold 30 degree i do get some mirage . i used old Lapua brass ,RL.17 powder 40 grains,135 gr. Berger bullets ,Fed. 205 ,now i am tumble cleaning 257 Creedmoor brass then i will anneal this brass ,reload brass and tomorrow go to the 200 - 500 yard range and get my scope settings for the next winter rifle shoot if its not to cold .

IC B3

P
pete53 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
yesterday / Friday before the snow came and there was very little wind and with a dead on impact at 100 yards in the 1 inch bulleye , i did notice all of my book number marks for longer distances i used a year ago before my surgery my 257 Creedmoor rifle the new bullets " 135 gr. Berger bullets " shot high,and at 500 yards this rifle shot 3 inches higher i was using 135 gr. VLD Berger bullets all day long , in the past i used 115 gr VLD Berger bullets and Nosler 115 gr. B.T. i never expected this to happen and my groups seemed somewhat better too . these 135 gr. VLD Berger bullets really seem to shoot good out of these old cartridges will have to try the 131 gr. B.J. again since i now have the Whidden dies which work better for my rifle . i also had just thimbled and then candle annealed all my old Lapua brass and then full length resized all this brass with my Whidden bushing die ,some of this brass had been shot 10 - 15 times some 2 - 3 times put it all in the thumbler together it was just a mix when i reloaded this 257 Creedmoor brass, but it all shot well, and may i say this barrel has not been cleaned for a couple years probably 150 - 200 rounds or more shot but its been shot when its cold out too mostly i did use DBC a couple of years ago too once i learned about this product.

Last edited by pete53; 12/11/21.

P
pete53 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
is anyone else loading and shooting a 257 Creedmoor on the fire ? it is a fun little cartridge very mild recoil and accurate just like a 6.5 Creedmoor is . i have always been a quarter bore fanatic and now that good / better bullets are available for the 25 caliber , just maybe this caliber in a cartridge will do well for target shooters and even better for hunters too .

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Pete what is DBC and where do you get it ?

Hal

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
is anyone else loading and shooting a 257 Creedmoor on the fire ? it is a fun little cartridge very mild recoil and accurate just like a 6.5 Creedmoor is . i have always been a quarter bore fanatic and now that good / better bullets are available for the 25 caliber , just maybe this caliber in a cartridge will do well for target shooters and even better for hunters too .

I’m not, but I have friends that are.

Many PRS or Practical Rifle competitors that want the latest, greatest edge in the game has moved to this chambering.

With the 131 Blackjack, the 25 Creedmoor blows away the 6.5 Creedmoor ballistically and, yes, my buddies are killing big game with it as well

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
P
pete53 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

I’m not, but I have friends that are.

Many PRS or Practical Rifle competitors that want the latest, greatest edge in the game has moved to this chambering.

With the 131 Blackjack, the 25 Creedmoor blows away the 6.5 Creedmoor ballistically and, yes, my buddies are killing big game with it as well

That`s great to hear ! thanks for posting

P
pete53 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by HalH
Pete what is DBC and where do you get it ?

Hal

DBC is DYNA-TEK bore coat , Midway sells it , Mule Deer posted about this DBC coat stuff

P
pete53 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
well after 2 years and many rounds shot out of this rifle and i guessed 250 + probably a lot more i finally cleaned this rifle with wipe -out and alcohol ,i had put DBC treatment in this rifle around 2 years ago also. i also did mention this on ask the gun writer forum too. this rifle barrel really did clean up up very easy and fast so after i was finish cleaning and drying the barrel chamber and rifling ,i did install another treatment of DBC and also ordered more DBC from MIDWAY . this rifle was still shooting very well yet but the Savage bolt face pin chipped off kinda funny so its heading to a gunsmith shop for parts , other wise the bolt face still looks like new ? its weird what has happened ? i was not even close to max powder ,i was still 2 grains under and it was 10 degrees at the out door range when this happened .

Last edited by pete53; 02/25/22.

P
pete53 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
yesterday it was a calm day on my 100 yd. range so i shot 10 shots to finish the DBC treatment and let it cool down then shot 3 shots with 135gr Berger bullets 1st 2 same hole 3 shot half in same hole i think i moved on 3rd shot so this rifle is ready again . i seen no reason to shoot 5 shots this time for the finish of break in treatment . today i pick up my new Brux barrel 6 BR for my switch barrel Bat action rifle and that well get the DBC treatment before this 6BR barrel gets shot. i am also having Greg to rechamber my Ruger 77/22 S.S. Hornet into a K-Hornet i have cleaned this barrel too and when i get it back it will get the DBC treatment too. have a great week ! Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 03/03/22.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pete,
My 25 Creed is in a customized, yet old school Pachmayr Dominator>
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It just has a Weaver pistol scope, but it plays pretty good out to mid-range, even when there is a bit of wind.

300 yards, but I did not hold or dial for wind.
https://youtu.be/d3zrtvKhxdI

At 500 yards I dialed for wind correction.
https://youtu.be/J7LHdOVNYWY

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
P
pete53 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
xphunter , very nice to see this picture ! what bullet did you use ? thanks for posting the picture.

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 12344mag, 16penny, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,606 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,306
Posts18,468,155
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.