Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
222Sako Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Was just channel surfing and come across pro fishing tournament. A guy who won it is a "first year" pro.
I've always wondered about this. Anyone on here have insight to becoming a pro bass fisherman?

Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.
John 8:32

A lie doesn't become truth; wrong doesn't become right; evil doesn't become good, just because it's accepted by the majority...Rick Warren

GB2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The way it makes the most sense to me is to join a local club that is affiliated with BASS , FLW, or any other similar National Bass fishing organization. These small clubs charge entry fees for each affiliated tournament. You can enter either as a boater or non boater. Partners are often designated by a entry drawing at the club meeting a week or so prior to the tournament. Most of the entry fee is paid back to the winners e.g. 1st place, second place & third place depending on a five fish stringer weight. You also earn points depending on your placement. This organized system identifies the best anglers by their performance at the small (three or four state ) level. Towards the end of the fishing season these small area clubs will compete against other regions and divisions as organized by BASS and FLW etc. Winners flow towards the Classic which is held at various large impoundments in the Country. The cost of competing are entry fees, shared travel , lodging, meals and heavy equipment costs etc. Your ability to grow as a Pro Bass fisherman readily becomes apparent by a positive cash flow. It takes time to develop the skill set to be successful. As you develop your skills you can solicite sponsors which may off set some of your costs of entry fees, equipment, boats, motors, trucks etc. It is a hard row to hoe but well worth the effort for the few who make it to the top.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1. Be a bachelor or have a very understanding wife.
2. Have a lot of money, A new bass boat and trailer fully rigged will run you about $75,000. Plus another $60,000 for the truck to pull it.
3. Talk with a barely understandable southern accent.
4. Don't ever kill a fish. The object is to torture, maim and annoy them. Claim that you don't like the taste of bass.
5. Carry a large supply of 1 ounce lead sinkers. They come in handy just before the weigh in.
6. Dress like a NASCAR driver. This goes along with number 3.

That's a good start. I'm sure others can fill you in on the minor details.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The others can also see what can happen to your attitude if you fail.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't think of a better way to ruin what I consider a pleasant endeavor.

1Minute
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by NVhntr
2. Have a lot of money, A new bass boat and trailer fully rigged will run you about $75,000. Plus another $60,000 for the truck to pull it.
4. Don't ever kill a fish. The object is to torture, maim and annoy them. Claim that you don't like the taste of bass.
5. Carry a large supply of 1 ounce lead sinkers. They come in handy just before the weigh in.

You left out likely $80,000 in expenses just fishing the tournament trails.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute
Can't think of a better way to ruin what I consider a pleasant endeavor.

About 25 years ago I was a weekend bass tournament angler that caught a good sponsorship deal from a local boat dealership. The dealership gave me a new 19' Champion with 150 Evinrude and covered all my cost. Seemed like a dream come true and the first couple years were a heck of a lot of fun. I made a little money and had a great time. The third year I was miserable. That third year I figured out exactly where fishing fit into my life. Fishing was costing me valuable time away from family and career. I figured out fishing was not going to be a career for me. I gave my sponsorship up and was a happy weekend warrior after that.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Just tossin this out there........The fastest way to destroy the love you have for a hobby is to turn it into a business. Been there done that for 20 years with my wildlife photography.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1.have a very understanding wife.

Heck have a wife that will support YOU........................................ grin

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd attend a "Fishing Careers" worship put on my Al Lindner himself. Next one is coming up in October in Elk RIver, MN

Click Here

Here's Al talking about the workshop.

Last edited by walt501; 06/22/19.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

This plus the ability to consistently catch big bass

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Although the ability to consistently catch fish under a variety of conditions is important, if you don't understand marketing and have marketing skills you won't make a living. Sponsors are attracted to those that can market their products. The top level pros are professional marketers with fishing skills.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I used to take pros fishing here prior to tournaments. Point them in the right direction, show them some spots, etc. Until the last one.

This guy was early 30's just like me and had a wife at home in Illinois, who was working nights for the phone company and they'd just had a baby. Like two weeks old. He had quit a job with UPS to go on the walleye trail. I had a two month old at home at the time, our first as well. He wondered how it was going and I told him. He was very concerned that he'd planned to take wife and baby with him to the tournament in Fort Peck in August, and was worried that it would be too hot and he might have to buy an A/C unit to take with him for that week. He had a new Lund and was hoping to sell it at the end of the season and if he broke even for the year, and didn't lose money, then he felt like that would be a success. It was all I could do not to wrap the anchor rope around his leg and push him overboard.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
How to become a millionaire in the fishing world?
Start out as a billionaire.

Everyone is pretty on the internet!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
That's the age old question. Well first you do an apprenticeship as a baiter. In a couple years you'll be a master😃!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
105 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 1,388 guests, and 664 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,869
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.