Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Bad news.

The number of free-ranging deer in PA found to have CWD nearly doubled last year.

According to the PA Game Commission, since last year 123 deer have tested positive for the always fatal disease in deer and other members of the cervid family.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
BP-B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
It's the same thing going on in Tn where I hunt, it's pretty bad.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Bad news.

The number of free-ranging deer in PA found to have CWD nearly doubled last year.

According to the PA Game Commission, since last year 123 deer have tested positive for the always fatal disease in deer and other members of the cervid family.

How's that vaccination program progressing?

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My WAG on this, in places where it pops up out of nowhere and there are no game farms or other obvious vectors, that urine-based scent products may be the initial source. VA has banned all of them on suspicion. Don't know of any actual tests that prove it, but seems like a reasonable precaution, along with baiting bans in places where the disease already exists to slow the spread.

I'm located in a buffer zone. None here as yet, but it's not all that far away. My processor sends all the heads off for testing.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Could be spread by birds feeding on carrion.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yup. Given the persistent nature of the prions, lots of stuff is possible. The cat's out of the bag, so anything we can do that might help is worth trying, mandated or not.

VA also recommends burying the guts after field dressing, to prevent lead poisoning in the raptors that feed on it. Not sure that will keep vultures from finding it, as they have a good sense of smell, and canines may find it and dig it up anyway. Eagles and red tails are big carrion eaters here too. I've seen vultures waiting while a little red tail eats his fill. Pretty funny.

What fresh Hell is this?
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
123 out of almost 375,000 or about one in every 3000 deer harvested. Doesn't sound as dire as some make it out to be. No doubt there is a problem but a .03% rate of infection hardly seems like the end of the world. I assure you there were far more than 123 deer in PA killed by poachers, more than 123 killed by vehicles, more than 123 killed by predators. I bet more than 123 were killed by farm equipment this spring. The reaction to this has been blown way out of proportion as far as I am concerned. I have a cabin and have grown up hunting my whole life right in the middle of the main PA CWD area and the increased tags, sharpshooters, and government agency intervention has had a huge impact on the deer numbers.

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by extremesolo
123 out of almost 375,000 or about one in every 3000 deer harvested. Doesn't sound as dire as some make it out to be. No doubt there is a problem but a .03% rate of infection hardly seems like the end of the world. I assure you there were far more than 123 deer in PA killed by poachers, more than 123 killed by vehicles, more than 123 killed by predators. I bet more than 123 were killed by farm equipment this spring. The reaction to this has been blown way out of proportion as far as I am concerned. I have a cabin and have grown up hunting my whole life right in the middle of the main PA CWD area and the increased tags, sharpshooters, and government agency intervention has had a huge impact on the deer numbers.

Agreed, but the ‘Genie is out of the bottle’.

I have some PGC Press Releases re. CWD that I can email if someone would be kind enough to post them.

Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Where you at.

Bedford suburbs here. wink

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
How many were tested to get 123 positive?

I don't think it is 375,000 as suggested above.

It is alarming to me how fast it is progressing thru more states and higher rates of herd infection.
This is not going to end well. If and when it ends.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
How many were tested to get 123 positive?

I don't think it is 375,000 as suggested above.

It is alarming to me how fast it is progressing thru more states and higher rates of herd infection.
This is not going to end well. If and when it ends.

You’re correct, there were 9,613 deer tested for CWD in 2018.
The PGC does not feel the disease can ever be eradicated.

Hunter S. Thompson
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
So the ratio of positive tests was about 1 in 78.
A long ways from 1 in 3000.

I will go stick my head in the sand now till it goes away.
Somebody let me know when that happens.
Or even just let me know when the ratio drops anywhere.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Could be spread by birds feeding on carrion.

Sort of wondering how many peta member are out there with a spray bottle.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
D
DW7 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
We've been dealing with it for over 50yrs here in Colorado that weve been aware of it. Nothing CP&W has done has had any effect on the disease. Their latest attempt is to issue a large amount buck tags during the rut, with a belief that older mature bucks are the primary carriers/spreaders of the disease. I feel the only effect this will have is lowering the age class of our bucks. The "we need to do something" mentality is the wrong approach IMHO. What we need to do is figure out the correct thing to do, and I fear no one has that answer........

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I believe any older animal is more likely to have a disease because their immune systems are weaker with age. They have suppliments now to give animals to improve their immune systems. I think they could put it in lick blocks for deer to lick. I give my pets Imuquin every day with their food. This could be implimented into a lick block for deer and other wild game.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DW7
The "we need to do something" mentality is the wrong approach IMHO. What we need to do is figure out the correct thing to do, and I fear no one has that answer........

I agree.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
D
DW7 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Filaman
I believe any older animal is more likely to have a disease because their immune systems are weaker with age. They have suppliments now to give animals to improve their immune systems. I think they could put it in lick blocks for deer to lick. I give my pets Imuquin every day with their food. This could be implimented into a lick block for deer and other wild game.

Lick blocks congregate ungulates and spread diseases, especially those transmitted through saliva, like CWD. Not sure that's the right approach.

Last edited by DW7; 07/06/19.
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by DW7
Originally Posted by Filaman

Lick blocks congregate ungulates and spread diseases, especially those transmitted through saliva, like CWD. Not sure that's the right approach.

Yep, and besides there are no known supplements that would ‘improve’ a Cervids immune system and prevent CWD.

Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's an interesting article about urine based lures in Louisiana.

https://www.whsv.com/content/news/Some-deer-urine-lures-now-legal-again-in-Louisiana-512308381.html

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Once those prions are deposited on the soil they last basically forever. It’s a matter of time before another deer comes by and feeds in the area and infects it’s self. My wife’s uncle contracted Creutzfelt-Jacob about 7 yrs ago, it took him very quickly. They believe the cause may have been from eye surgery he had done 6 months prior. It seems sterilized equipment does not kill/remover the prion. Once he started to show symptoms he went within weeks. With CWD being the same sort of prion, once an area is infected it will always be infected . Well at least that is my thought on it.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
280 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,805 guests, and 941 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,951
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.