Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
ttt

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobMt
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Why keep this disgusting thread going, seems like a lot of personal butt hurt involved.

why ..in your opinion is this a.....disgusting thread ?...….bob

Disgusting in the sense that YA did an unethical thing by bypassing the broker/booking agent and expecting to get the same deal cheaper going directly to the rancher. Very bad of him to blame the broker/booking agent for to him having a bad outcome. Eight pages of bashing YA mostly by the same individuals is enough said. I find it distasteful to continue to resurrect the thread to bash the dead horse. It sounds like to me that this represents more virtue signaling than information going forward especially since the OP seems to have gotten the message and has not responded since the beginning.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
YA doesn't deserve a break on this until he develops the stones to come back on here and explain himself. Time to man up.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've booked hunts with Atchesons several times and discussed others with them many times. I have always been treated with the utmost respect and professionalism no matter who I dealt with in the Atcheson operation. They are in the business of fair chase hunting with no guarantees. They are very clear about that. Atchesons cannot control the weather, the hunting conditions, the outfitter, the guides....etc, etc..... All they can do is try to put a client in the best place for success. Much is up to the hunter once the hunt is booked and begins. A positive attitude and determination to put maximum effort into the experience by the hunter makes all the difference. Pissin and moaning on the internet and running down a good company on a public forum is LOW CLASS plain and simple. If there was an issue with Atchesons it should have been handled directly with them not on the internet. 163BC

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by ammoman16
YA doesn't deserve a break on this until he develops the stones to come back on here and explain himself. Time to man up.

he still checks in......bob

IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by ammoman16

Good luck with that.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
TTT

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
JUST LET IT GO , it makes both parties look bad

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by pete53
JUST LET IT GO , it makes both parties look bad

No it doesn't...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It makes Atcheson look pretty good, IMHO.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by smokepole

+1

DF

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by smokepole

ttt……..pete53 request...…….bob

O
O
I have booked several hunts in the last 15 years through Keith including 2 Alaskan hunts, UT, WY, BC, and a safari to Zimbabwe. I have nothing but good things to say about the Atcheson family and Keith in particular. Everything they have ever presented to me has been exactly as described and they have gone to great lengths to provide options that were exactly what I was looking for. I can't imagine a more respectable or knowledgeable agent to book a hunt with. Contrary to this despicable post, I would not consider booking a hunt without going through Atcheson and Sons.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Stupid thread, time to get rid of it.

Let it go.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Atcheson
I'm Keith Atcheson with Jack Atcheson and Sons. We are a hunting consulting business that started in 1955.

Recently, I accidentally came across this post by Al Quast from MI. As other posters mentioned there is likely more to the story. Quast made intentional, lying, and disparaging remarks about myself, our company and even brings my deceased father to the matter. Online forums are no place to resolve issues between 2 parties but it makes for good entertainment except for those involved.

It’s a year old but better late than never.

Here's the timeline. On February 29th 2016 Quast contacted me and requested information on guided MT elk hunting and northern grizzly bear hunting. I responded the same day by sending him information on a hunting area where we have been sending elk hunters for over 50 years. Its changed ownership a few times but it has been a steady producer on branch antlered bulls. It is not represented as a trophy bull elk area though it has produced many. Just a fun high success bull elk hunt. We know the operation well.

Going forward from initial contact, I never heard from Quast again on this hunt until I received the email below on December 20th 2016.

Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2016 12:03 PM
To: Keith Atcheson
Subject: Re: Elk hunt

Hi Keith,

Just a quick note to let you know I hunted at XXXX Mtn. this Nov., and make sure you get their cut from them...lol

Quite a bit has changed since you hunted with them. XXXX no longer works there, then XXXXX husband took over...and he's out now, too. A new guy guided me, who just started for them this year. He's been in the area all his life.

They were pretty unorganized with the horses after the first day, but seemed to know what they were doing.

I got my bull, a 4 point youngster. I'm plenty happy with him. They obviously(and the guide agreed) overhunted the place. I think my bull was the 20th bull killed in 3 weeks. There were no 5 or 6 points on the ranch when I arrived. The weather was very mild, and having a herd still moving around was a blessing.

There were a couple dozen spikes in the herd, and that should make for some good hunting in a couple years.

We need to talk again this winter sometime, and get me lined up with some hunts in the future. Keep me in mind for a cancellation grizzly hunt, as I'm not prepared to spend $12-$13,000 on a bear hunt.

Thanks again Keith, and Happy Holidays to you and all you guys there.

Al Quast

In his own words this does not sound like a guy that's unhappy or had a poor hunt. Quast booked this hunt directly with the operator. I had zero contact with him financially or on arranging this elk hunt with the outfitter. I did not even know he booked. He's not a client of Jack Atcheson & Sons, period.

This morning, I talked to the outfitter who personally guided Quast, says he shot his bull the first morning of the hunt. So did his brother later in the day. He had more comments as well.

This sets the table with Quast and my experience with him which is very little. Never met the man.

Originally, he wanted some griz hunting options as well. At his request, between the dates of June 17th 2016 and March 21st of 2018 Quast received multiple emails from us representing good bear hunt options. He never acted on any of them and I recall no phone conversations but I talk with a lot of people in this business.

On March 21st 2018 our office receives a written complaint about us not contacting him directly when a " good deal" comes up. I don't like people to be unhappy. I was literally boarding a bush flight in Alaska, gone for 10 days and could not call him. While still able, I apologized to him in a written response and told him it certainly was not intentional. I had not heard from this guy for a long time. I told him, " instead of complaining and blaming me he should consider some great hunts that were open right then and there for great pricing." My office gave him information immediately and the outfitters numbers.

Come to find out a year later, he did not like my tone but I don’t have much interest in people like this for reasons that seem obvious. Fast forward, not liking my response on entirely another issue, goes on line a year and a half later and lies to damage our reputation.

The last thing Quast wrote to me was, “ You think I'm a small fish but the pen is mightier than the sword.” Then he went to the internet.

Yep time to put it to bed, no apologies coming from the looks of things.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SU35
Stupid thread, time to get rid of it.

Let it go.

Yup!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Oh, I don't know. 'til "Al" does right, a wrong is done. Lettin' him off the hook serves no purpose. Continuing to set the record straight is always a right choice. Besides, maybe it serves as a warning to the next potential "Al" that's thinking of slandering an upstanding family business.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Oh, I don't know. 'til "Al" does right, a wrong is done. Lettin' him off the hook serves no purpose. Continuing to set the record straight is always a right choice. Besides, maybe it serves as a warning to the next potential "Al" that's thinking of slandering an upstanding family business.

Tom

al has been on the Africa forum...….and has exclaimed surprise about my comments directed at him...…..bob

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobMt
Originally Posted by T_O_M

Tom

al has been on the Africa forum...….and has exclaimed surprise about my comments directed at him...…..bob

Yep, Al has played the ignorant card. Has no clue what Bob is alluding to.

yukonal Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Guys, sorry for bringing this thread up again. I didn't even know it was alive since the beginning of March. I had no idea all this posting was going on. And Drum...wow! A link to this thread was just brought to my attention. I thought it was dead 3 months ago.

I don't feel I slandered anyone. I only said I had a hunt that did not turn out the way I was told it would. Please read my first post on this thread.

Also, I didn't know that I DIDN'T go thru Atchesons. I thought I did, after I hunted with the outfit they recommended. I hunted with the outfit they told me to, and told them I booked the hunt with them before I went. Then afterwards, I told them about the hunt so that they could get their commission. I even told the place I hunted that I was going thru Atchesons. Hope that clears that up. Don't know where the going behind their back came from.

I'll give you guys the shortened version, since everyone thinks I owe an explanation.

When we got there, the guide we were told by A&Sons we would be hunting with, had been fired. The horses were rented from another ranch, as the ones at our camp were so worn out, the guide said he couldn't use them...the horses familiar with that ranch.The hunt was booked as a horseback hunt. We rode horses up the first morning. They were on the verge of out of control. We stayed on the mountain all day (4 of us) so that the other 3 hunters could hunt up there for the evening hunt.

2 other hunters got their elk that night. The guide made us leave the elk on the mountain that night, to recover the next day. He asked all 4 of us if we wanted to ride back down the way we came up, or walk the horses down a steep incline (45 degree, and sometimes steeper) which would be shorter. All in the dark. We all said that we wanted to ride back out. The guide then told us we were going to walk the horses down...2 miles down. The horses slid down probably 1/4 of the way. One of the older hunters fell down several times, and hurt his leg.

The next day they wouldn't let us go with them to recover our elk. We had to stay in camp. My brother and I told the guide to let us know when they got his elk back to camp, as we were going to butcher both for our trip back home. I gave the guide a brand new elk game bag kit, and asked him to put the quarters in it. Later that day, after not hearing from anyone, we drove a mile and a half down the road to the barn, and my brothers WHOLE elk was hanging from a tractor, in the sun, covered with flies. No game bag, not quartered.

This is just the condensed version. All of these things were discussed with Keith over the phone, and he acted like it was no big deal. This is what I meant by the "horseback hunt" being misrepresented.

The other part to this saga...is the grizzly hunting. I called A& Sons several years ago, and put my name on a grizzly cancellation hunt list. I called 3 times a year for 2 years, every time after they emailed their client list that a hunt had come up. Every time I called, the hunt had been sold. The third year, I called again in the beginning of the year to keep in contact and let them know I still wanted to do it. The second time that year that I received the client email that a cancellation hunt came up, I again called to book, but the hunt had again been sold. I had my name on a waiting list for 3 years, and they never ONCE called me to sell me ANY of the cancellation hunts. The last time I told Keith that I wasn't happy about the way he handled that. He raised his voice and said, "why don't you stop bitching, and just book a bear hunt?"

I don't think I have to give any more details than that. I think this gives you an idea where I'm coming from. I apologize to you guys for not chiming in sooner, I really didn't know this thread was still going. I wish somebody wold have pm'ed me. But, apologize to Keith...no way. I think the apology should be to me.

Really Drum...banned?

10 years I've never bashed anyone on this forum. Made several posts helping people when I could. Made a lot of friends here, and never tried to hurt anyone.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
638 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 74 invisible), 2,767 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,130
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.