Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TheKid
I once had a guy give me a hard time on a caribou hunt we were guiding for getting out my HH guide coat and putting it on over my Wranglers and Value Village Pendelton wool shirt. He was getting dressed in the same tent in one of the $1200 super fabric camo suits and assured me that I’d be miserable while his state of the art gear would see him dry and refreshed at the day’s end.

It was pretty hilarious when we came back to camp after a full day of hunting, butchering, and packing meat in a steady drizzle. I was dry and pretty comfortable and guess who was soaked. The icing on the cake was when he decided to dry his wonder suit on a clothesline over the fire, gust of wind sent them into the blaze and they were gone forever.

I had kind of the same thing happen on a fishing trip. It was a rainy day, and an open bat.
One of the guys was bragging about his fancy Simms wading coat and Waders, and how it was the greatest thing ever.
Guess who was soaked thru and almost hypothermic by lunch?
I was perfectly dry in my Grundens.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What I have learned over the past 40 years of guiding is that IF YOU ARE GOING TO BE WORKING OUTSIDE IN THE RAIN ALL DAY YOU ARE GOING TO GET WET.

Either from sweat or rain.
The best compromise I have found for when you are working outside and hiking a lot is the top of the line Simms gear.
There is a reason the top fishing guides were it as they are literally standing in water, often in the rain, all day, every day.
And the reason commercial fishermen use HH, Grundens or Guy Cotton on fishing boats is because it sheds water.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Im getting a good education on heavy duty rain wear,I never heard of some of these names.Thanks

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 458Win
What I have learned over the past 40 years of guiding is that IF YOU ARE GOING TO BE WORKING OUTSIDE IN THE RAIN ALL DAY YOU ARE GOING TO GET WET.

Either from sweat or rain.
The best compromise I have found for when you are working outside and hiking a lot is the top of the line Simms gear.
There is a reason the top fishing guides were it as they are literally standing in water, often in the rain, all day, every day.
And the reason commercial fishermen use HH, Grundens or Guy Cotton on fishing boats is because it sheds water.

I'd take sweating to get wet inside rather than leaking gore tex. The sweat I produce is closer to body temp and easier for my body to deal with, vs cold rain soaking through... at least thats how it is for me anyway.

And I'm always reading and listening, we do change our direction time to time.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
CRS Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Great conversation, thank you for all the input. Busy researching all the suggestions.

Arcus Venator
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 55 invisible), 2,865 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,359
Posts18,468,939
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.