Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rickt300
My 7x57 was built on a 24/47 action and it has given excellent service. If you don't already know a stock built for a model 96 Mauser can be easily modified to fit these actions with the only real difference being large ring instead of small ring, not a big reach for many of us to open up and glass bed.

Yeah, be careful there. Some 96 stocks can be used, it depends on how they were cut, The magazine release/bolt stop sits further forward on the 96 than on the intermediate. So, on some stocks you will have a pretty unsightly gap. All depends on how the stock was cut. Same problem exists when trying to use a std SR stock on a SR Mexican 98. if you are having someone duplicate a stock for you , let them know the intended purpose. But just ordering a vendor's 96 stock may not work out the way you planned.

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have a Herter's stock.

PM me if interested.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by z1r
Originally Posted by rickt300
My 7x57 was built on a 24/47 action and it has given excellent service. If you don't already know a stock built for a model 96 Mauser can be easily modified to fit these actions with the only real difference being large ring instead of small ring, not a big reach for many of us to open up and glass bed.

Yeah, be careful there. Some 96 stocks can be used, it depends on how they were cut, The magazine release/bolt stop sits further forward on the 96 than on the intermediate. So, on some stocks you will have a pretty unsightly gap. All depends on how the stock was cut. Same problem exists when trying to use a std SR stock on a SR Mexican 98. if you are having someone duplicate a stock for you , let them know the intended purpose. But just ordering a vendor's 96 stock may not work out the way you planned.

It did work perfectly in my one example but without doubt I could see things not playing fair. So I pulled my 7x57 (named ugly) out to look and see just how unsightly the gap actually is. It is there but would only be noticeable if you knew what to look for. That said it looks like ugly could use another coat of paint!

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by z1r

Realize this is a year old.
The lower action in the first picture......is that bolt handle from Heym?
How old are these?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
PM sent.

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by z1r
So, there are two distinct categories in those models you mentioned:

The 1910, and 1936 Mexicans are intermediate length but also small ring 98's. The bolts and extractors are unique to these models.

The 1924 FN, and Yugo 24, 24/47, and M48's are Intermediate length large ring 98 actions.

Some are safety breeched so there is more involved in rebarreling than simply screwing a barrel on. Get up to speed on the differences before you buy so you know what's involved.

A Yugo M48:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Shoots pretty good at 100 yds:

Z1r- What stock is on that rifle? Is that a Boyds? I like the lines on it better than what I see on their website.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Originally Posted by z1r
So, there are two distinct categories in those models you mentioned:

The 1910, and 1936 Mexicans are intermediate length but also small ring 98's. The bolts and extractors are unique to these models.

The 1924 FN, and Yugo 24, 24/47, and M48's are Intermediate length large ring 98 actions.

Some are safety breeched so there is more involved in rebarreling than simply screwing a barrel on. Get up to speed on the differences before you buy so you know what's involved.

A Yugo M48:

Shoots pretty good at 100 yds:

Z1r- What stock is on that rifle? Is that a Boyds? I like the lines on it better than what I see on their website.

Yes, thank you, that is an earlier Boyd's stock, they used to call it the JRS classis. I think it morphed into what they call their Classic. I shortened the fore end because like most stock, it was too long and a I rasped the hell out of it to reduce the girth and make the grip a little more open. I actually would have continued with that process but I had a hunt coming up and wanted to use that rifle so I called it good and went hunting. I like it much more than the as-issued Boyds stock.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Nice work z1r! Beautiful rifle.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,915 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,357
Posts18,468,926
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.