Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Had a pair of waxed cotton upland pants that I wore for years. They wore like iron through many thickets and hunts. After blowing out the crotch I figured I got my moneys worth and tossed them. Would buy again but have not yet.

Have a nice upland vest from Filson as well and have not used it a ton. One of the straps was coming unstitched and I went online and asked them about a repair thru their website. Got a prompt response with a return shipping label and directions as to what they would be doing. I found that kind of nice and look forward to getting a repaired vest back. I may have to buy another upland item or two from them. Box is headed their way today. Will update with resolution, but like my odds.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a hat from them, I won't ever wear it out, that's for sure. I also like your odds.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Chaps are my way to go.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I used to buy a lot from them until most of their products started coming from China and then raised the prices beyond what my account can handle. The older style coats are still made in the U.S., but with imported materials now. All, but one shirt have been stellar though and I still where the bad shirt (Bad in the fact the buttonholes didn't hold up.)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glad to hear they offer good service. I have the tin cloth strap vest. I'll probably wear out before it does!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You should have sent your waxed trouser in to be repaired. They have a lifetime warranty and can repair most any damage.

I agree with Just a Hunter, after Filson was bought out and items made in China appeared and their prices skyrocketed, I stopped purchasing their new items.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I too am a big fan and have quite a few items. Some from their stores, a couple from other brick and mortar stores, some from e-bay, some from Sierra Trading Post.

I once bought two new vests from an online retailer. Only received one, and no response from the seller. After a couple of months I contacted Filson with my story and documentation, and they made good on the purchase. Thrilled me and stunned me at the same time.

Took a re-waxing class at their SF store. Very nice folks.

They could probably keep their prices down if they didn't send me, and presumably everyone else on their list, a beautiful, thick, glossy catalog every two weeks. Almost coffee-table worthy.
I told them that when I registered an item, telling them that 2 catalogs a year would probably cover me. Never heard a thing.

I haven't heard the story about they're being bought out. Am interested.

I do like that they seem to be pretty transparent about an item's source.

Lou M.

If it weren't for the wonders of electricity, you'd be reading this post by candle light.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
They were bought out some years ago by one of the owners of Tommy Hilfiger or somesuch. I was told by our local store that once he bought it he moved most of the production to China.

I only receive a catalogue once a year, but do get their email adverts. I must not buy enough anymore (well it has been 6-7 years now.)

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Got the vest back and they did a great job sewing the strap back on. Looks like they hit both sides even though only one came loose. It was nice to see and look forward to getting some more feathers in it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
glad to hear this, get it bloody soon!

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
I used to buy a lot from them until most of their products started coming from China and then raised the prices beyond what my account can handle. The older style coats are still made in the U.S., but with imported materials now. All, but one shirt have been stellar though and I still where the bad shirt (Bad in the fact the buttonholes didn't hold up.)

I didn't know they were selling Chinese products now. I'll look closely before I buy. I have been happy with everything that I have owned from Filson.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
It's been that way for at least 10 years now.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
pak gave me a waxed cotton strap vest a number of years ago and it has stood the test of time. But, it caused me to buy one for every lad that did me a favor for several years. They all have bulletproof strap vests and I have...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
By hunting and working construction I've worn out more Filson gear than most. When I take items in for repair the folks behind the counter seem genuinely surprised people actually use and abuse their stuff. Took a packer jacket in last week and one guy gathered his buddies to check out the very used condition. Confirms my suspicion that people buy their stuff and it just sits on a shelf or comes out once a year.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I purchased a Filson "Tin Cruiser" jacket some time ago, 25+ years, anyway I used it a lot, working outdoors. In time it ripped along the front button seam. Thought it should have held up better than that, considering the initial cost.
I plan to email them about a repair (forgot about the lifetime warantee until I was reminded above).

Years ago, I also bought a filson upland vest. Unless it's a cooler day, it's usually too warm to wear in the woods or field......this one wears like iron. Purchased in the late 80's I think.

Last edited by TraderVic; 11/30/19. Reason: Typo
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 30338
Had a pair of waxed cotton upland pants that I wore for years. They wore like iron through many thickets and hunts. After blowing out the crotch I figured I got my moneys worth and tossed them. Would buy again but have not yet.

Have a nice upland vest from Filson as well and have not used it a ton. One of the straps was coming unstitched and I went online and asked them about a repair thru their website. Got a prompt response with a return shipping label and directions as to what they would be doing. I found that kind of nice and look forward to getting a repaired vest back. I may have to buy another upland item or two from them. Box is headed their way today. Will update with resolution, but like my odds.

That's good to hear about Filson - my brother works for them and has for quite few years now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I sent back a waxed cotton hunting coat that a dog chewed the sleeved off. They pulled out the patterns and sewed on a new sleeve. Shipped it back after a $50 charge and you would never know it was a replacement after a few years.

That was the old Filson. Not sure about the company know, imported waxed cotton, new owners, take your chances.

300 Savage

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

I had an XL rolling duffle that made many trip and rec'd much abuse from the airlines. It had gotten pretty beaten up over the years. The final shoe to drop was when one of my packed items fell out of a rip in the duffle.

At a DSC show, I asked a Filson rep about repair. He gave me the address to send it in for inspection. I would have been happy with a stitching repair and replacement of missing parts. A short time after being sent I rec'd a call from Filson asking what color I wanted. Said they were sending a new XL rolling duffle.

Great products and even better service.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got the strap vest and chaps recently figuring that I want quality and that I'll never need to buy another set for the rest of my life. I'll be 60 soon and I doubt my so will even wear them out.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
172 members (444Matt, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 24 invisible), 2,004 guests, and 965 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,648
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.