Print Thread
Hop To
Page 30 of 73 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 72 73
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by TheKid
Bet that guy was pissed when he went to get his bowling ball and that two headed snake was coiled up around it

laugh

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Favorite thread on this site. I agree with pretty much all of you guys. The two biggest and most rhetorical questions I have had for years are....1: The naming of the types of projectile points. I get it, you may have been the first "scholar" to record it it scientifically, great. I get it. But the similarities between points regardless of geographic region or period overlap seem to be manipulated and altered for the sake of "their function". I'm in no freaking way an expert, but it would appear to me that there IS a general shape needed for such tools and I believe our ancestors traded intentionally or otherwise, they were influenced by each other. "Look at the tips these fkrs shot at us", that gives me an idea said one of the old retired Braves. My vote is for just giving them a general type description. I have found shapes that look like they should have come from Missouri. WTF? Function....they had A LOT of time on their hands. ??? 2: For you Texas boys: Cornertang. What are your theories on specific handling? Hafted or a cortage loop around the wrist? As puzzling as the bird stones and banner stones of the midwest.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Beansnbacon33
For you Texas boys: Cornertang. What are your theories on specific handling? Hafted or a cortage loop around the wrist?

I vote for hafted on the corner tang.

When they made those notches, they usually put a shaft or handle on whatever they went to the trouble to notch.. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
For you Texas boys: Cornertang. What are your theories on specific handling? Hafted or a cortage loop around the wrist?

I vote for hafted on the corner tang.

When they made those notches, they usually put a shaft or handle on whatever they went to the trouble to notch.. wink

I can definitely see that RockinB, but at the same time the thought of a "razor blade" on a loop around the wrist while your hands are covered in blood, and needing to grab and pull hide and meat periodically in the the process opens my mind up a bit. Not having to set the knife aside, just seems really smart.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My collection seems to be blossoming.
I've found a few beauties lately...😋

[Linked Image]

Proud NRA Life Member
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Great man congrats, but don't you ever get tired of sucking your own dik?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't s h it on this thread a s s hole.

Proud NRA Life Member
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Wish me and slumlord could run across some late woodland and mississippian utensil stuff.

Just not around alot of our places.
I found an unusual small oblong extended triangular piece about 1.5"
Made out of pink and white fine speckled material
Could never ID it.
Fine knapped most intricate work on edges I ever seen.
Kinda think it was a piece of jewelry.
Sold it in my previous collection.
Bought a pistol.
Stone for steel type of thing.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I need to get over to archaeologist son’s house and get some photo’s of my dad’s stuff.

Im convinced dad sold some of his stuff to pay off some lawyer fees. He had a real nice Afton point and when we picked up his collection that point was gone. As well as several awesome Pedernales points I remembered. BIG ones! Mebbe Im wrong.

In passing one day dad said he never found an Langtry or a Val Verde. At his funeral. Son and I slipped one of each into his coat pocket. Our best ones.

I found 5 assorted points and blades in one spot where a midden had slumped off a creek bank out in Crockett county on Live oak Creek. About 2 or 3 miles upstream from where it runs into the Pecos river. That’s where the Lantry was found. There was a real pretty little Val Verde laying there with it the damn sheep had srepped on going to the creek. Chipped a little piece out of the blade.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by renegade50
Wish me and slumlord could run across some late woodland and mississippian utensil stuff.

Could never ID it.
Bought a pistol.

Wish I could see the stuff you guys find, especially that triangular piece you're talking about. All kinds of stuff down here as far as tools and points, but my favorite personal find is a giant freshwater clam shell that's been polished And has a beautiful hole drilled in it. Its broke almost in half, I have about 3/4s of it but still an amazing find to me anyway. Found in a trash pit about 2' deep along with tons of old bone fragments with cut marks all over. Killer heartbreakers. Razor not paper thin.

IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
The left and middle points came out of that midden I mentioned above at another time. The Ensor ( middle) was a surface find. The point on the right came from a cliff shelter above the creek about a mile away. I dug my azz off all day and it was the only thing I found. Its a nice point.

[Linked Image]

This one is one of my favorites. Old friend deceased now just finished a runway on his place. Cleard off a lot of trees and brush. This was surface find after a good rain.

[Linked Image]

Speaking of multi era campsite. Old son found a nice angostura same evening I found this point about a 100 yards from where I picked this up.

Founder

WS

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
The left and middle points came out of that midden I mentioned above at another time. The Ensor ( middle) was a surface find. The point on the right came from a cliff shelter above the creek about a mile away. I dug my azz off all day and it was the only thing I found. Its a nice point.

[Linked Image]

This one is one of my favorites. Old friend deceased now just finished a runway on his place. Cleard off a lot of trees and brush. This was surface find after a good rain.

[Linked Image]

Speaking of multi era campsite. Old son found a nice angostura same evening I found this point about a 100 yards from where I picked this up.

Beautiful finds!

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Thanks BnB. I don’t dig now. But I always walk around lookin’ at the ground.

Founder

WS

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks BnB. I don’t dig now. But I always walk around lookin’ at the ground.

Same here. Great stuff! Some of the most AMAZING things I've ever seen in my life were in frames belonging to a taxidermist who was a friend of a friends. Guy didn't hunt, but would trade work for permission to dig. I can't even begin to tell you how incredible that stuff was.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Where I found that point on the runway, the fella that owned that place bought a collection from an old man in Elgin That ran a grocery store in town during the depression. He would trade groceries for points. Fellas that worked in the brickyard there between Elgin and McDade were always pulling stuff out of the shakers and off the conveyor. Bring it in and trade!!!

He had some great stuff.

Founder

WS

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Where I found that point on the runway, the fella that owned that place bought a collection from an old man in Elgin That ran a grocery store in town during the depression. He would trade groceries for points. Fellas that worked in the brickyard there between Elgin and McDade were always pulling stuff out of the shakers and off the conveyor. Bring it in and trade!!!

He had some great stuff.

Wow! I know the area well. Isn't it a shame just thinking about everything that was destroyed in the Bastrop fires? I remember going there after the replanting of trees and restoration projects and every single rock on the ground was fire popped and shattered. Everything. Seen a lot of great stuff come from that same area before the fires.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by renegade50

Could never ID it.
Bought a pistol.

Wish I could see the stuff you guys find, especially that triangular piece you're talking about. All kinds of stuff down here as far as tools and points, but my favorite personal find is a giant freshwater clam shell that's been polished And has a beautiful hole drilled in it. Its broke almost in half, I have about 3/4s of it but still an amazing find to me anyway. Found in a trash pit about 2' deep along with tons of old bone fragments with cut marks all over. Killer heartbreakers. Razor not paper thin.

Crop rotation kinda fugged us this year
One rotation place soybean last year no winter wheat and corn this year

Other rotation place winter wheat right now getting cut
Get disced a little and late soybean thrown on that
From late November when they plowed both we will be at it again

The place in winter wheat now is better JMO.
Have done alot of probe walks over the last 3 yrs confirming yes or no on stuff.
Have found some nice hot spots no one else hits.
But have ta be careful not to telegraph em.

Most of the stuff we find is archaic and paleo stuff and some very early woodland.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Pretty neat story about the grocer Kaywoodie. There was a guy in Boise City OK back in the 50’s who owned the Chevrolet dealership. More than once he swapped a new Chevy for a nice collection. There used to be a museum out there with his collections on display but it’s been closed for a long time now.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I just reread the whole thread, one of my favorites on this site. Slumlord and Renegade’s tales of idiot dopers walking over stuff reminded me of a story from a few years ago.

A guy gave my dad, uncle, and a friend permission to hunt a hilltop camp in a wheat field he’d just plowed for the first time in a long time. When they got there an old dude in white sneakers was just leaving, they talked to him and he said he’d just walked the whole thing and found them all, had 3 or 4 points. They went ahead and walked it anyway and the guy had indeed walked pretty much the whole thing. He must have left his cataract glasses at home though because they found over 40 Washitas!

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K

He had some great stuff.

Wow! I know the area well. Isn't it a shame just thinking about everything that was destroyed in the Bastrop fires? I remember going there after the replanting of trees and restoration projects and every single rock on the ground was fire popped and shattered. Everything. Seen a lot of great stuff come from that same area before the fires.

BnB,

There’s this cat right up the road from me has this site on his property. For something like $150 he’ll bring you a big scoop of dirt with his front end loader and dump in in front of you for your family and friends to go a-digfin’ thru. Big damn site. Lots of good stuff being found. Im sure lots of good stuff being missed and broken too. Oh well, none of my bidness what he does with his property. I really do not care.

Founder

WS

Page 30 of 73 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 72 73

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,955 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,487
Posts18,452,010
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.