Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
About a month ago, I noticed a whole bunch of bird schit all over the rear bumper and trailer hitch of my pick up and all over the floor of my garage. About a week later, I heard a ticking noise coming from the back of my truck as it was parked in the garage. I walked back there and a small bird flew away. Things have ramped up and he's now going after my wife's bumper as well. Bird schit is tough to clean off. I've looked at the little bastard and I think it's a White Throated Sparrow.

I own a '68 Chevelle SS that I drive on the weekends, weather permitting. I'll typically get it out of the barn on Friday night and park it in the garage. I'll leave my truck in the driveway. The weekend before last, I got the car out. By Sunday night, when I put the car away, I not only had bird schit on the bumper of the Chevelle, but my truck had bird schit on every window, both mirrors, and both bumpers.

Last night when I got home, before I could even get out of the truck, he was pecking at my bumper. I've tried yelling at him to try to scare him, but nothing has worked. When I stand in front of the garage door, he loiters about 10 or 15 yards away. As soon as I walk away, he attacks my truck. I've considered going to Southern States and buy one of those plastic owls to maybe deter him, but not sure if it will work. My wife doesn't want me to kill him and suggests that we just keep the doors closed. That ain't gonna work, it'll be 150* in there if we can't keep the doors open most of the time. Plus, whenever anybody parks in the driveway, their cars will be covered in bird schit in no time flat.

I don't really want to kill the little SOB, but enough is enough. I've got a 17 cal Gamo air rifle that'll do the job. If I kill it, wifey might get pissed. If I don't, I'm living in bird schit.

What would you do? Should I take him out and SSS?

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Silently kill it.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Just put a mirror out side of the garage, he can beat his little pecker off beating on it.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by jimy
Just put a mirror out side of the garage, he can beat his little pecker off beating on it.

I kind of thought of that, but he's got a thing for my truck. Not sure if it'll work.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
No question; it’d already be dead.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Is this a joke of some sort?

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Silently kill it.

Or have the wife clean it up. After a time or two of that, she'd likely kill it for you.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Wives don't always need to know about killing around the house. Half grown squirrels and coons for example. Some birds are known to "migrate" unexpectedly you know.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
White Throated Sparrow? Make it red.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife loves every little critter , from squirrels that will tear the crap out of anything on the deck, to woodpeckers and other destructive birds. She would be very upset if she knew about any killin'. I have a BB gun that leans up next to the back sliding door. Some things are best left unsaid.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Mothballs in the garage.

It could eat a tick and save your life. smirk

Last edited by jaguartx; 06/26/19.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My wife HATES birds. She would have had me kill it the moment it entered the garage.

If I were you I would shoot it and play dumb.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We had a yellow rump warbler doing the same thing to a neighbor's car down in Florida. Neurotic little thing that kept it up all day long flying up or down and pecking at it's reflection on Larry's car. Jimy might be on to something with the mirror, but I think the owl or hawk figure might be moire effective. Larry didn't have an owl figure, but he did have a Micky Mouse statue, but that didn't work either. Pretty funny though. Maybe some streamers. Your car is too clean and the bird thinks that the reflection is another bird.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
It probably sees his reflection and is defending it's territory against the intruder. Had the same problem with a robin a couple of years ago. Making a freaking mess of my truck and my wife's car. She insisted I make it go away. So I did.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Off subject but, I planted a lot of grass seed on my lawn this spring. Next day there were 20 to 30 white throated sparrows eating the seed. Took them almost a week to eat nearly every seed I put down. Little bastards.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

You never know, maybe a stray cat might kill and eat it all gone wink ... whistle

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by RS308MX
It probably sees his reflection and is defending it's territory against the intruder. Had the same problem with a robin a couple of years ago. Making a freaking mess of my truck and my wife's car. She insisted I make it go away. So I did.

Cardinals will attack their reflections for weeks on end.

Execution is necessary at times.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

??? Is this a joke?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

??? Is this a joke?

This:

Originally Posted by StoneCutter
I own a '68 Chevelle SS that I drive on the weekends, weather permitting.

says to me that it isn't. OP should talk to his doctor about whether TRT would be right for "him".

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Might want to PM shrapnel about the cat that walked over the top of his GTO.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
144 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,432 guests, and 808 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,899
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.