Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
That Tanto is perfect and 3V is soweeeet!

It works.......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

and it will cut!

[Linked Image]

Did not even feel it until the salt started stinging!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
BP-B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
BTW,

I also have no problems employing a Havalon. I have two that are part of my kit.

When I was bear hunting in NM a couple years back, all the guides and game wardens carried HAVALON knives. Consequently when I got back home I ordered two different sizes and three different blade patterns.

Havilon Piranta

http://www.havalon.com/piranta...-knife-xt60edge.html

Havilon Barracuta

http://www.havalon.com/havalon...--fillet-knives.html

They have become part of my kit.

[Linked Image]

Basically like a folding lock-blade scalpel. However I do not try to pry with them.

[Linked Image]

They are reasonably inexpensive for both the knife base/handle and the replaceable

They will work great on hogs. We do not field dress, but bring all animals that will be skinned back to camp. We hang from hind legs on a gambrel. One has to be careful not to cut the leader/tendon. Also hogs in the hill country usually are covered with fine grit that is almost like concrete. I use the Havalon for my starting cut just below the ankle joint where the skin is thin.

If I'm concerned about keeping the cape and not piercing the hide I do not use the Havilon. I use a semi-skinner or something with an upsweep to the blade. The havilon is just too thin and sharp and if you are not very very careful you will cut/poke a hole in your cape.

The blades are easy to change, just be careful and use a pair of pliers or a table surface to install/take off.

Another consideration. You might want to keep a fingernail brush in your kit in order to clean the knife/blades.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I figure there is a time and place for most any blade.

[Linked Image]

One of the leases I'm on requires that the lower jaw of any doe taken to be logged in with a data card. The small Havalon sure made short work out of the process, aided with the Ken Honeycutt Dorado and Cold Steel Outdoorsman for medium and heavier lifting!

Best,

GWB

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
OP,
are you thinking about Chris Reeve?
He started in South Africa, but moved to Idaho.
He makes some atypical designs, but is very well respected.

No thanks on the Havalon. They are hard to thoroughly clean and changing blades with cold wet fingers led me to using multitool pliers to change it.

A well made fixed blade is safer, cleaner, and more pleasant to use in my opinion with Gene Ingram and Phil Wilson at the top of my personal favorites. There are many great knife makers at the moment.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
A few more picked up along the way!

[Linked Image]

I've skinned a few critters with the White Hunter, but it is not my favorite skinner. I much prefer the Puma Skinner of the three pictured for pure skinning and taking apart duties.

ya!

GWB

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Oh mamma!

Not my first pick as a general use hunter but I like that one geedubya......

[Linked Image]

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've manged to score several of Ricks stag handled blades

[Linked Image]

I think it's the perfection of the grind lines that intrigue me, as opposed to the stag scales

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

and tapered tangs.

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB

PS: Lanyard by Jason Gies, Little Buffalo Trading Co.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Looking Good GWB The Model 28 is the second Randall I ever owned.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Good stuff as usual Gee’.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
GW,

nice knives as usual.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by Ready
As a professional (read: someone making a living by doing that stuff) hunter, a researcher in game meat hygiene as well as a guide in Alaska (better to be a "has been", then a "never was")

I have not come to understand the infatuation with the concept of the Havalon Piranta.

To me - that unicorn would be something like a 4" Droppoint.

https://blademag.com/knife-collecting/legacy-bob-lovelesss-dropped-hunter

Not sure where you are trying

I did not try; I went. Whether you follow, is no concern to me

to go with the Professional comment. I have seen enough "Professionals" That didn't have a clue in their area of profession. I love the comment "I have been doing this for X amount of years" Yeah doing it wrong for X amount of time.

Good for them, if they can stay in business, doing it that way. In general, opportunity/need to do a thing many times over tends to blossom in some form of expertise, me thinks...

The infatuation is that it simply works and works well for you. It is cheap, it has no emotional value (so no big deal if you lose it.), it is fast and easy to change a blade, and is the 30-06 of knives (you can find them anywhere).

I have been buying, selling, using, and loving custom knives since I got my first Randall in 1984. So I get the love of custom knives.

As far as the Loveless that wouldn't even make my top ten in customs. Bob made a great knife and his work is legendary. In form, function, and field it's far behind you say. I would take a boring May or Ingram long before a Loveless. Phil Wilson here I agree , Big Chris, David Wesner, Jerry Halfrich, and Rick Menefee would be at the top of my list.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
GEE…..you should work for Blade Magazine....always excellent photos!!!

I don't always venture out into the sub-freezing darkness, but when I do, it is deer hunting season, and I carry a Remington. Stay hungry my friends.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dang geedub, I'm gonna have to send you my address so you can pass along some stuff when you start downsizing! You've got copious amounts of nice wares!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ready
As a professional (read: someone making a living by doing that stuff) hunter, a researcher in game meat hygiene as well as a guide in Alaska (better to be a "has been", then a "never was") I have not come to understand the infatuation with the concept of the Havalon Piranta.

I tried them. Even tried to like them, as many colleague guides swore by them. Not my cup of tea, I guess.

To me - that unicorn would be something like a 4" Droppoint.

https://blademag.com/knife-collecting/legacy-bob-lovelesss-dropped-hunter

Yep

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
664 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 75 invisible), 2,743 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,640
Posts18,399,000
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.