Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by htredneck
I'm right at a month from being 59, my blood pressure - pulse - all that is perfect with no medicines and I came awful damn close June 15th...
Did some running around, went to dinner and was driving home with the wife, last thing I remember is turning off the highway into a cornfield. About 45 minutes later, I understood enough to hear them tell me they were doing a CT Scan. As soon as the CT scan was done, they dumped an IV bag full of the clot-buster drug into me faster than I have ever seen one empty. All I could do is lay on the gurney and open my eyes - couldn't talk, move... nothing.

Three days later I walked out of the hospital with no apparent damage or affects of having a stroke that everyone says should have left me a vegetable or killed me. Have some follows up, and until they are done, can't lift anything over 20 pounds, no archery, no guns, can't stay outside if it is over 80 degrees and 60% humidity (try that in Missouri). I'm going absolutely bat [bleep] crazy and climbing the walls but I'm alive and plan on staying that way for a long time to come!

Glad you pulled through! Take care!!

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
GB1

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by shootem
Originally Posted by wabigoon
And, what do you want to do with the time? We ain't gettin' any younger! laugh

I have today. At least up till now. Don't mean to pour cold water on the Fire but that's a question you'll never know unless you have the hammer back and your finger on the trigger. In the spring of 2017, 66 years old still climbing trees to hunt, walking mountains, running chainsaws, fixing anything that needed it, got to where I was always tired no matter how much sleep. Always having to stop to rest. Along in August when I couldn't keep going, couldn't eat, lost about 25 lbs, no answers, when I finally ended up in an ER trying to figure out a crazy high temp and some other stuff all the answers didn't come out, but kidney cancer did; renal cell carcinoma, right side. Fast forward to December and that's when the robot doc at Levine Cancer Center pulled the part of that kidney with the cancer and fortunately left most. Time to heal.

By late February was fairly well recovered, had a new chain saw and proceeded to "thin out" six cords of firewood from the back yard. Bout wore me out but felt good, till May. Then routine follow up with my urologist and he's right back at me saying a new test says I have an 80% chance of an aggressive form of prostate cancer. Fast forward again. Confirmed at Levine and removed Sept 2018. Turned out better than it was supposed to. Pee only where & when I want and never when I don't. LeRoy could be doing better but shows good signs of life, specially on drugs wink . Decided with two abdominal cancers back to back a routine colonoscopy might be a good idea. A month after prostate surgery, colon cancer was discovered. Partial colectomy in November almost 2 months to the day after prostate surgery. 13 days in the hospital because of an OR screw up, MRSA infection a prideful surgeon refused to diagnose and sent me home with, over two months of an open draining wound due to that and it healed only because I went to my primary care doc to get lab work and treatment. But it didn't heal correctly.

Just got released from the hospital on the 19th after another 5 day stay. Fairly extensive hernia repair from the deep umbilical hernia from the infection pit, along with the idiot surgeon incising dead on top of 30 day old primary incision from the Sept surgery. Now to recover, again. Bottom line I went from healthy and strong to having 3 separate cancers in my body at the same time, dealt with one by one, followed by proof there's idiots everywhere that come when you least expect it, all in a year and a half. Add the "mystery illness" from 2017 and so far I've stayed sick, hospitilized or recovering for over 2 years. And honestly after finding 3, realism sets in and you have to question the future.

But you know me, I can't complain. grins

So just a small point to make. Be careful calculating and having fun guessing about life when you never, never have the full answers to a serious question. Sometimes that light at the end of the tunnel is the front end of a train. LOL. Gotta go. Got some healing to do and life to start over. Maybe a year, maybe 50. Whatever time is left I intend to use for accomplishment, I do believe God can put that in front of us in ways we would not choose.

That is a sobering and impressive post. Thanks for sharing it.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by BGunn
72 years old, had bad heart attack and a tripple bypass a little over 20 years ago.
Bad case of blood poisoning from copper dust about 17 years ago, which cost me a liver (liver transplant 13 years ago).
Now have a very bad blood clot in liver and 3 doctors have told me it’s the end of the line. In the mean time, I’ve had 2 hips replaced, a carotid artery flushed out and a pretty bad case of a sepsis infection. Well that’s all I remember now.
I’m hoping I get to see the 444 Marlin I’m having Turnbull Restorations work on now. It’s ok though, it’s for my grandson anyway.

How much time do I have ?

I don’t know, but I’m not buying any green bananas !!

I hope you continue to beat the odds, sir! Something tells me you will.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by wabigoon
And, what do you want to do with the time? We ain't gettin' any younger! laugh

Don't know, depends on whether the limit is genetic or environmental. If I don't miss a sharp curve, meet a grizzly bear, or run into someone's jealous husband, the potential is to live to my mid 90s. I think I've already outlived my mom's genes. Family history of cancer. She didn't make it to 50. I'm fairly certain to outlive my dad's dad's side 'cause they die of heart attack or stroke before 60. I have 5 years to go, no blood pressure issues, and I handle stress better than they did. Not a certainty, but i think it is probable. That leave's dad's mom's side ... the hard drinkers made it to 85, those more moderate got to their early/mid 90s. Other than slightly elevated cholesterol, everything seems to be working correctly.

But there are those sharp corners in the roads ahead ...

So far as what to do with the time that's left? What I'm doing right now ... love the heck outa my girlfriend, be the best bad influence smile I can be on my daughter, niece, and nephew, hunt, fish, backpack. If it's not what I want to do later why the hell am I doing it now? No matter how much time you've got, any time you spend doing something other than what you love is time wasted. At some point, maybe 15 years farther down the road, I might retire, but I like my job. I think I'm where I need to be.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by BGunn
72 years old, had bad heart attack and a tripple bypass a little over 20 years ago.
Bad case of blood poisoning from copper dust about 17 years ago, which cost me a liver (liver transplant 13 years ago).
Now have a very bad blood clot in liver and 3 doctors have told me it’s the end of the line. In the mean time, I’ve had 2 hips replaced, a carotid artery flushed out and a pretty bad case of a sepsis infection. Well that’s all I remember now.
I’m hoping I get to see the 444 Marlin I’m having Turnbull Restorations work on now. It’s ok though, it’s for my grandson anyway.

How much time do I have ?

I don’t know, but I’m not buying any green bananas !!

I hope you continue to beat the odds, sir! Something tells me you will.

Thanks Ricky, I’m giving it hell of a try.
Like they say, gettin’ old can be tough some times.

Bill

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am 68.

I think I can make it to 88, so I have 20 years left.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
71. Most family seems to go to mid 80s. I have to outlast wife as she is in poor health and needs me
And there will be some peace and quiet but a big void

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
65 in DEC, been retired 12.... really want to be retired twice as long as I worked, as an Air Traffic Controller, which was 23 years.... that would make me 99................

A bit optimistic I know... BUT Grandmother was 104, grandad was 98, dad still going at 91, mom at 87....................... it could happen....

Or I might keel over tomorrow.................. one really doesn't know!!!!

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Nobody knows what tomorrow may bring or if they will see it.

Me, I'm on borrowed time and trying to get the most I can.

Dad passed at 57. His sister was 52. His brother was 51. His Dad was 51. I'm almost 63. My plan is 84.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I don't know. I was told at age 44 that I had a 20% chance to make it to 46.

Everything since then has been gravy, the way I see it. So I don't worry about such things.

IC B3

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I just get up every day and do what I want,....which is fairly easy.

Chainsaw,..chipper, tractor,..and when the mood strikes a Philly cheese steak down at one of the local restaurants.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I retired at 58, the wife complained, "You've got 5 years left in you!"
I told her, "I'm not giving it to them."

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My wife died of cancer in 2011. Ever since then I have done whatever I feel like doing.
I bought a new Harley Davidson motorcycle and I love it.
I sold our house in town and bought 40 acres and a big pole barn. No neighbors! No barking dogs!
I will shoot whatever I want, whenever I want.
I am going to start prairie dog hunting again.
I am 64 years old and realize that most single women like it that way. I was married for 25 years.
That might be plenty.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have been having a lot of indigestion lately, which is something I take drugs for and have had for years. Because of a history of heart disease, with my father having dies of a heart attack at age 53, I've been getting annual checkups by a heart doctor. He did the stress test thing yesterday, and I passed with flying colors. He said there's no sign of blockage or anything wrong with my heart, and want's me to get the indigestion thing looked at again.

Don't know if it'll do any good again, as I've been told time and time not to eat certain foods, but I can't help it. Life's just too short as it is not to be able to enjoy eating.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
When my wife was dying of cancer her doctor told us that if the cancer didn't kill her then the strokes or heartacks or something else would.
You will die of something.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, since we are getting into specifics, I will paraphrase T O M's remark: I have outlived my paternal genes.

All of the men on my father's side of the family, going back to my great-grandfather, died before the age of 50. Dad just missed--he passed away at age 49 about two months short of his 50th birthday.

My mother had four brothers, two of whom died young from surgical errors. The other two made it into their late 70s. Mom lived into her late 80s and her older sister died in her mid-90s.

My 50th birthday was somewhat of a mile stone. I was healthy, well within the guidelines for cardiovascular health, about 5' 10" and weighed around 155 lbs. I was running about 25-35 miles a week, but I was not making any particular effort to "eat healthy" or avoid food and drink. After that, I figured that if I could make it to 65, I would be ahead of the game.

When my 75th birthday rolled around, it dawned on me that I had lived half again as long as I had actually expected to do, for most of my life.

I turned 76 last February, I am down to 5' 9" these days and I weigh160 lbs--down from a little over 185 two years ago. My wife and I went ketogenic two years ago, and it has really been good for both of us.

I have become really curious to see just how long I can hang around--but if I die tomorrow, I figure that I will indeed leave ahead of the game.

Last edited by mudhen; 06/27/19.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Dad was one month short of 90 when he passed on- - - - - -Mom made it to 92. I was 50 when I had my first heart bypass, and another a year later. Now the cardiologist says I'm doing well 20-something years since then, so I'm hoping to make it another 20 years or so. 20 years, or 20 days doesn't matter- - - -I'm going to live every one to the fullest I'm able. Fun times spent on my Harley don't count, do they?
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I said I'll never see 30! . . . I said the same thing about 40, 50, 60, and 70.

Since then - I've been keeping my mouth shut!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

141 members (358WCF, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 345dl, 23 invisible), 2,388 guests, and 932 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,645
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.