Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JBLEDSOE

OK, I have tried the steel wool on wood test, After cleaning the steel wool sample of wood, I am sorry, but I see no difference. The uncleaned wood has tiny pieces of steel wool in the finish, so what? It cannot be seen with the naked eye. If folks wish to NOT use steel wool, that's alright everyone has their own refinishing process. However from what I see, I will not be changing, steel wool works for me and will continue to do so.

Fantastic! You see the steel particles and they do not bother you. In the course of time the steel will rust. When it does so in the finish it will create freckles. It will be noticeable to the naked eye. It will create a haze in the finish. If you think that is okay, without even knowing what it will grow into, then best of luck to you.

Someone has to live in single-wides, drink Ripple, and listen to Toby Keith and Florida Georgia Line...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Loosen up your ponytail, Townie...

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

How are the steel particles going to rust if covered with a properly applied water proof finish ? I have stocks refinished over 50 years ago---no freckles. Sounds like a myth created by some gun writer looking for something to write about. Or maybe he stores his gun in the bath tub.

Is this myth similar to the ones about weighing primer and heavy crimps being needed for best accuracy?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JBLEDSOE

How are the steel particles going to rust if covered with a properly applied water proof finish ? I have stocks refinished over 50 years ago---no freckles. Sounds like a myth created by some gun writer looking for something to write about. Or maybe he stores his gun in the bath tub.

Is this myth similar to the ones about weighing primer and heavy crimps being needed for best accuracy?

First, very few stock finishes are truly waterproof. All oil-based finishes readily transport water through them. Ordinary 100% oil finishes will pick up and release atmospheric water faster than dry wood. Water stains on oil-finished furniture is an example of oil finishes soaking up frank water which they do slower than vapor.

Epoxy, cyanoacrylate, and some paints are waterproof.

It is not even close to a myth and has been well documented for well over 50 years.

To find the steel particles or the rust freckles may take a bit of magnification. The haze they produce can be seen without magnification. You have undoubtedly seen it without recognizing it if you have looked at many guns treated with steel wool.

I always suggest a test board be made just to prove how wrong I am. You will be doing yourself a favor because you will no longer be "that" clueless guy arguing against something that is so completely true and obvious.

No ill will intended nor taken.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Looking back, i realize i had ignored an earlier post where you had made a sample, please describe your technique and i will happily explain the steps to finding freckles.

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 222ND, 257 mag, 2003and2013, 68 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,224
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.