Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm considering a (obviously) used Winchester model 88 in .308 Winchester. What is your experience with their accuracy, reliability and overall strength?.....Can it be safely loaded to 65,000 Psi?....not that I want to do that but handloading can at times offer some surprises and I would not handload for a Savage 99 in the .308 Winchester so if one wants a lever gun in .308, it seems the Winchester 88 is the way to go.....?

BP-B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have had one since about1964 and loaded it with everything from 130 gr to 180 gr bullets , per loads listed in 2-3 different reloading manuals with no problems.

Accuracy wise,after I drifted the front screw lug on the barrel to the center of the stock barrel channel and did some bedding it will do better than an inch at 100 yards. The trigger is the bad part. Some have noted a few guys that do rigger work on them but I don't think it does a lot of good.

Reliability wise, I have never had problem with the firearm itself, but the ears on the magazines can get bent a bit and cause jamming.They can be fixed though.Extra magazines are hard to find and get pricey if you do.

Pre 64 had cut checkering 64 and past that have rolled/pressed oak leaf checkering.

If you buy it, PM me, I have an instruction article on bedding and accurizing

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by vapodog
I'm considering a (obviously) used Winchester model 88 in .308 Winchester. What is your experience with their accuracy, reliability and overall strength?.....Can it be safely loaded to 65,000 Psi?....not that I want to do that but handloading can at times offer some surprises and I would not handload for a Savage 99 in the .308 Winchester so if one wants a lever gun in .308, it seems the Winchester 88 is the way to go.....?

Or a Browning BLR.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
vapodog,

Why wouldn't you handload for a Savage 99 .308?

I've fooled with some 88's and had one .308. My experience agrees with saddlesore's: With some work on the bedding they can shoot pretty well, but the triggers pretty much suck.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
88's remind us of 100's and that's bad.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I have a Savage 99 and a BLR in 308. I did have a Winchester 88 in 308 but sold it because I prefer the Savage and the Browning. The 88 is alright except for the trigger which is not easily fixed from what I understand.

There are some people who work on BLR triggers but mine is OK as is. The Savage Trigger is simple to fix in my experience,any decent smith can handle it.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Had one in 243 and could never get decent groups out of it.

MAGA! This is the way!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 88 features the model 70 barrel.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have had a few 88s and in all the calibers they came in. The triggers are bad, but can be made better. Not much better, but better. As I recall the Browning BLR trigger wasn't any better on the one I had.

All of mine have been accurate that I have shot. When I say accurate I don't mean hit a fly accurate, I mean 1"-1.5" consistently with handloads. My .284 Win consistently put 5 120g Nosler BT into .5"-.75". Not just once. but several times. 140g TSX into an inch. Same with the .243 I had. The .358 I have is a custom barrel and it has never gone over 1.5". I never shot the .308s I had, but with its reputation as a cartridge for accuracy I would believe it would be fine too.

When asking for Mule Deer's advice on loading the .358 he cautioned to load a grain under his suggested load since they were made up in a bolt action. I would think if one stayed with factory level loads there wouldn't be a problem in the .308, but those with more experience may tell you different.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Shot my first and biggest whitetail with a .308 M/88, Hornady 180 gr. RN loaded to conservative level. Accuracy was adequate for deer at woods ranges, mine was scoped with a Weaver K2.5 and as I didn't expect a target rifle-like trigger so it served my purposes rather well.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I got one for my sister back in the 80s when she was moving up to Alaska. It shot pretty well. Not MOA, but about 1-3/8" at 100 yards which was plenty good for moose and caribou. She and her kids have used it ever since, and it seem to do the job fine for them all. They have killed everything they ever hunted with that rifle and done it with shots from 20 to 350 yards. Never had a problem.

My nephew just came done to visit, and left my home yesterday. He told me they were almost out of ammo. The last time they all came down to Wyoming to visit I loaded them up 250 rounds of ammo for the 88 and all they shoot in it (so far) is my hand loads. (50) 180 grain Partitions for moose and (200) 165 grain Partitions for caribou and deer.

When I did the load work-ups my impression was #1 the rifle shot best with mid range loads (4895 and 4064 powders) and #2 although the bolt is strong enough for hot loads, high pressure is bad for the use of this rifle because the lever action has limited strength for it's primary extraction , and when the shells get a bit sticky from higher pressure, you have a hard time getting the lever to throw down easily. A slow lever action is a rifle devoid of one of it's most desirable traits.

So I say NO, don't use high pressure loads. Not because the gun would "blow up" but because it makes the lever action very un-handy and doesn't shoot as well.

Besides, the difference in a high pressure load and a standard pressure load in a 308 Winchester is non-existent in the game fields as far as the animals are concerned. I NEVER load a cartridge hot to get it to go faster. Some shoot best at high pressure, and those I'll load up, but not to get the speed. I do that because they shoot more accurately (as long as they are under a pressure that can cause problems)

My idea is simply this:
If I need more energy or killing effect,(by making a larger diameter or deeper wound in the game) I pick out a more powerful rifle.
I don't try to make a rifle more powerful than it already is.

Last edited by szihn; 06/27/19.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Dad bought a new (1955 mfr) Model 88 in .308 in 1957.My oldest boy has it now as his boy is left handed and it will be his in time. I also used it for several years.

For the first forty years or so it was a 1.5-2.0 inch gun. The rear lug got loose on it and the stock cracked. I had it repaired and the recoil lug and an area around the front stock screw was bedded. This work really improved the accuracy. With most loads it is a consistent 1.5 in three shot group gun. With its favorite IMR-4064 load it often shoots better than one inch three shot groups.

I have loaded for it with 110, 150 and 165 grain bullets. When I worked up loads I usually ended up finding a load it liked at near max book loads. I have had no issues with it and case life is very good. My 99E Savage did have some issues and as others have suggested I reduced those loads. I have not needed small base dies either. I did need them when loading for a Model 100.

The trigger on our Model 88 is very good as compared to what I have heard about them. Dad had a local smith work on it.

The only reliability issue we have had was related to the magazine. The spring got weak. I replaced the factory spring and follower with one from a Washington firm, Wisner's. I believe the older Wisner was a Winchester rep whoended up buying some Winchester parts and tooling during one of the corporate changes. I also bought an extra magazine from him. They no longer list the spring and follower but still list the magazines for .308 based cartridges. They even have some with the original Winchester logo and arrow stamping. Pretty reasonabler at $50-60.00. I suspect they would still provide just the spring and follower if asked.

Hope this helps.
Gary

http://www.wisnersinc.com/model/winchester-models-88-100/

Last edited by Dancing Bear; 06/27/19.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My friend has one and once he got it sighted in it does a good minute of critter job.

He mostly shoots 150 grain bullets in it but i have shot up to 180's with the same result.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven't hunted with my Winchester 88 in more years than I care to think about, but for a long time it was my go to deer rifle. I had a "pre 64" 88 and a "post 64" at the same time. I gave the pre 64 to my son and kept the post 64. It was always a little smoother to operate and they both shot good. The triggers always get a load of grief, but if you shoot the thing some they are easy to get used to. Mine always had a little catch just before it went off and was easy to shoot very well. I'm not going to claim that it was always a minute of angle rifle, but it would easily shoot between an inch and an inch and a half, with enough groups under an inch to keep it interesting. To me there isn't much to dislike about a Winchester 88.

Harry
vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Or a Browning BLR.

The Browning has a straight grip stock and I have fused wrists due to effects of RA....it's a very poor fit for me.

vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
vapodog,

Why wouldn't you handload for a Savage 99 .308?

I had two of them....one locked up tighter than a Bulls a$$ in fly time and I had to send it (loaded mind you) to Savage for repairs..the other was wiled to me by my father and I gave it to my brother as I had already learned that it won't tolerate even minor errors like a bolt rifle.....My brother is strictly a factory loaded hunter.....He loves the gun.

I am convinced to this day that the first M-99 froze up because I errantly used military brass for reloading....yes...my fault but I'm sure a bolt rifle would have survived the ordeal.

In those days I had horrible experience with anything Savage.....I will never buy another for ever!

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'm not a Savage 99 fan, but have handloaded for a 99 in .308 that my dad bought new around 1960. Shoots very well and is quite accurate with several bullets, but I'd never use a bolt-action max load in it. Brass life has been normal.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
vapodog,

Very interesting, thanks for the report.

My very first "real" big game rifle was a Savage 99 .308, purchased used by my father for me, after he let me use his Marlin .30-30 to take my first deer. He took me down to one of the local sporting goods stores that had a great selection of used rifles, and said he'd buy anything up to $50 (which indicates how long ago this was). The 99 was $55 but he agreed anyway. It would shoot into about an inch with factory ammo, and I also handloaded for it with a Lee Loader, never having any problem with the "scooped" loads.

Have owned a BUNCH of other 99's since (and even one 1895), chambered in cartridges from .22 High Power to .358 Winchester, including a couple other .308's, along with some .300 Savages that I pushed a little, and a .284. Yeah, they'll extract kinda hard if you push 'em hard, but never had one totally lock up. Plus, I learned many years ago (from a home gunsmithing book by Jim Carmichel and Roy Dunlap) how to easily modify the trigger pull in pre-1960 99's to a very fine pull. As a result, after trying several Winchester 88's, I've never been all that attracted to them. Though of course Winchester addicts often are.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The only trouble I had with mine was when a LC military brass got mixed in with some Winchester and I missed it when reloading. That seized in the chamber and it took a little bit to work out. All my brass is now LC 69 match. I use 4064 powder and 165 gr Game Kings

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

If you want the best lever gun in 243 or 308 the Sako Finnwolf is what you should be looking for.

The stock ergs make the Finnwolf a better fit for me, but I will admit to having held onto 4 88s, all in 284, and around 300 99s.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
380 members (204guy, 280shooter, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 47 invisible), 2,256 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,723
Posts18,400,595
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.