Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Hi all,

I'm have a bit of a dilemma - time for me to pare down my fly rods, but I don't have the experience to make smart decisions here. So I'm looking to lean on yours.

I did some fly fishing when I was young (with whatever I could scrounge), then went to work and didn't get back to it at all until a few years ago.  Bought a lot of equipment but still haven't fished much.  Found time to practice cast and a little freshwater. Not much more.
I live in the northeast, and basically I would fish 2 categories A. small freshwater (trout, rock bass, perch, bass) and B. salt water mostly from the surf (striper, bluefish, etc).
I'd like to end up with enough of the right rods for myself and a buddy/backup - not trying to raise money, just to not be a dope with a lot of rods that don't see the light of day.  Will probably keep 7 or 8 rods total. More if it makes sense.

There are a few that I know I like and will be keeping:

Echo Original 8ft/4wt/4pc.  IMO this is a little gem, at least with dry flies and WF line. Never tried it with anything else. Can't imagine selling it.

Cortland Endurance 9/5/2. Very soft tip section and not a distance rod, but even I can cast tight loops with it pretty easily. And I never find myself needing distance in fresh water.
If nothing else its the rod that helps me get my casting halfway decent again after a layoff. I basically have to keep it just for that.

Diamondback Backwater 9.5/8/3.  Its an odd one, but I like the way it practice casts, and seems like it would be a good rod to fish for striper from a center console in Narragannsett Bay. The stripers get right in the teeth of the rocks and you can have a ball when you work the foam with Sluggos, etc. I'd love to try fly fishing that.

Diamondback All American 9/10/2.  I know its only a 10wt but everything about it says "take me to the shore and lets catch fish". Rugged rod that is NOT a broomstick. Don't know why this was considered an entry level Diamondback.

The rest that I will pick from:
1. Down Under 9/4-5/2. Nice quality rod with a big price tag.  I have cast it well in small spurts, then I go right back to hacking away with it again. I think an experienced caster might really like it. Maybe someday that could be me. Seems like I was close once.
2. R. L. Winston IM6 7/5/2.  The best rod I own. It simply makes everything a pleasure to do. Short, soft casts to long throws and everything in between. And its only 7ft long. The only problem I have with it is that its too good for me. I feel like I'm its caretaker, not like its my rod.
3. Echo Trip 9/5/8pc.  I heard fantastic things about these after I bought this one, and I hear that Echo Customer Service has a list of people looking for them. Don't know anything else - its still NIB along with a Teton reel I bought to go with it.
4. Cortland Precision XC 9/5/2.  Not sure how I feel about this one. Just haven't cast it enough. Seems like its a little too "something" for me. Again, I'm pretty sure its me.  Its basically a better quality version of the Endurance, which is a good thing.
5.TFO "Lefty" Pro Series 9/7/4.  Bought it because I really didn't have anything between the trout rods and the saltwater stuff, and it felt good when I was playing around with it at the fly shop. Never fished it.
6. Scott A4 9/8/4.  Fast action, somewhat soft tip. Id call it more of a 7wt tip on an 8wt rod for backbone if that makes sense. I mean it as a compliment - this is a quality rod.
7. Down Under GIII 9/8-9/2.  Working mans rod, and proud of it. Looks like it was intended for salt water. Its hard not to like the action too.
8. TFO "Teeny" 9/9/4. Light and lively. All I can say is that it seems like a hell of a rod to me. Seems like a shame to get salt water on it too but hey, you only go around once.
9. J. K. Fisher GT-40 9/9/2.  Used but in very good shape. Has a great feel to it. I can understand why they had a strong reputation.
10. Ross Essence FW 9/10/4. Used but in very good shape. Also has a great feel to it.
11. Reddington SSF 9/10/2. New. Again, I bought it because I liked it but haven't done anything with it.
12. Fisher Natural 9/10/2. Strong rod, weighs less than you might think even though its older. Has a nice medium plus or medium fast action. Should be easy to feel the line load, and have a ball with a fish on.
13. Albright A5 9/10/5pc. A little stiffer than the other 10 weights but only a little, and that may help in the wind. Great to keep under the seat too. Wish I still worked near the shore.

Sorry for the long post but there was a lot to list.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Thoughts anyone?

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Keep the rods that you fish with now and will use in the future. Keep a couple for back ups and for your buddies to use in a pinch. Sell all the rest. If the Winston continues to cause you consternation, let me know how much you want for it.

John

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kragman1
Thoughts anyone?

Lots but they mostly involve jonesing for a lobster roll at Champlin's. grin

You really do seem to be set up for most of the Rhode Island fishing I know of. The only gap may be a short rod for some of the brookies over in Acadia. Do you head north into VT/NH/ME for freshwater?

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Ha! I haven't been to Champlins since the last time I hopped the ferry over to BI.
If I had the free time to fish to the north I would. Its hard enough fishing close to home, but I still sneak some in.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
When you decide what you are keeping are going to put the rest on sale here? I am looking for an 8 and 9 wt rod.

CO School of Trades, Gunsmithing, '76
Clemson University '74
Go Tigers
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Good grief. I've been happily fishing for decades with a 5/6 wt and an 8 wt.

Two rods, good enough for me.

Guy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don’t get rid of the Winston!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Cascade
Good grief. I've been happily fishing for decades with a 5/6 wt and an 8 wt.

Two rods, good enough for me.

Guy

I know, I know - the front of my brain understands that I only need two or three for freshwater, and two or three for salt.
The back of my brain would keep them all.

That's why I'm looking to settle on the few I need and let someone else enjoy the rest.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm a try and see if I like it kinda guy. Everyones casting stroke is a bit different and thus some people may like a rod you don't and vice versa. I've probably owned 40 different rods over the years and I sell off the ones I don't love. I could probable get by with a 3,5,and 8 wt rods total and be happy for the rest of my life. That said I have about 10 rods I have kept that I don't see me ever selling. I agree, don't sell the Winston!

Everyone is pretty on the internet!
IC B3

N
N
There is no such thing as to much of a good thing!!!! Keep them all, I have a dedicated room for my flyfishing rods and reels. There are so many places and species to fish that you would kick yourself if something comes up and you have to buy a new one—-they seem to get more expensive every year.

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Noyo55

Sure, and I've kicked myself for selling a few guns in the past, but I went from salt water surf casting 4-5 times a summer plus boat trips to haven't been out in two years. Ill make more time but I probably will never again fish every weekend.
So I'm really just sitting on them. i'd like to keep what makes sense for me and move the others to people who WILL use 'em.
So I'm trying to sort it out. A few freshwater rods and some good saltwater (read: striper/blues).
And, don't laugh, but I bought a Wetfly 11/14 reel last night because it was really small money and has a sealed drag. Its really too big for my 10 weights though.
Been looking for a 10 foot 11 weight and it doesn't look like anyone makes one. Too bad - something like that should be really good from the shore.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

165 members (470Evans, 338reddog, 2UP, 35, 44mc, 007FJ, 19 invisible), 1,500 guests, and 890 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,582
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.