Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I give the paint a D, but it cuts like a sonofabitch, and pretty much does everything else I want. Slim enough to actually EDC, which is a huge plus.

Will probably go without coating on my next one.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I started a few years ago with a Spyderco PM2 and after that with and Spyderco endura vg10 steel , easier to sharpen . In the last couple of years it’s a Spyderco Military in S30v ( I like the lock better and it’s an easier, safer way to close for me ) . I have a few more Military’s in Rex45 and M4 and cruwear, but those are over 150. When I’m out hunting I usually carry a ltright rogue river fixed blade in A2 I think . Or a aa forge fixed blade .

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Since last Thursday, I have been carrying a Benchmade Mini Grip. Very close to perfect.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sam, as big as your hands are I'm surprised you like the Mini Grip. It's aptly named, the handle is definitely on the small side.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
By the parameters set by the OP, I would choose a ZT 0566.

ZT 0566

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Mink
By the parameters set by the OP, I would choose a ZT 0566.

ZT 0566

I have a ZT 770CF but can't warm up to their knives with the frame lock. It looks weird with scales only on one side and I don't like the lock exposed...just my opinion...

Last edited by UPhiker; 06/19/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Understood, that the beauty of so many choices. Then again, a solid Buck 110 is hard to beat also.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On the RAT 2, prefer D2 or AUS-8? Seems like for an inexpensive knife the cheaper one would be fine, but I like the idea of long lasting edge that is more likely with D2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
This thread sparked my interest for a beater EDC so I ordered a RAT 2 in AUS-8 only because of some negative comments about the (their) D2 quality. First impressions after a couple of weeks of use, RAT 2 is a bit smaller than I thought it would be even though I read the measurements. The steel seems to hold up ok, simple tasks like cutting hay bale strings, opening wood shavings bags and cardboard boxes. Sliced several jalapeños from the garden last just to play with it. The knife was very sharp when I got it and stays that way with a few strokes on ceramic V rods a couple of times a week, I try to keep a knife sharp when I can rather than having to rebuild an edge. Quality exceeds my expectations so far especially considering the price. I am seriously considering a RAT 1, probably in D2.

Last edited by woods_walker; 06/21/19.
IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I carried a Benchmade Mini AFCK for many years until I became more enamored with the tip up style carry. I switched to a Spyderco Delica with wave opener which I recently lost while fishing. I've purchased a few knives in the last few weeks trying to find the perfect replacement but haven't made a firm decision yet. The afck had fantastic ergonomics which I've yet to find in a replacement, the Delica was slim and light but I didn't like the backlock for one handed closing. I regularly clip my knife inside my waistband when kayak fishing so my fallback will be one of the Salt series from Spyderco if I can't find something with a easier lock for one hand operation. If they would just release the AFCK with updated steel and tip-up carry I would be really happy.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Landed Yesterday...

Benchmade Bugout
3.24" S30V
Putman G10
1.95OZ

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by InternetGuru
I carried a Benchmade Mini AFCK for many years until I became more enamored with the tip up style carry. I switched to a Spyderco Delica with wave opener which I recently lost while fishing. I've purchased a few knives in the last few weeks trying to find the perfect replacement but haven't made a firm decision yet. The afck had fantastic ergonomics which I've yet to find in a replacement, the Delica was slim and light but I didn't like the backlock for one handed closing. I regularly clip my knife inside my waistband when kayak fishing so my fallback will be one of the Salt series from Spyderco if I can't find something with a easier lock for one hand operation. If they would just release the AFCK with updated steel and tip-up carry I would be really happy.

Spyderco PM2... BTW, I have both sizes of AFCK and for old school Benchmade knives they are excellent. Mine are the liner lock versions. When Benchmade added the AFCK to the Axis lock line up it was a nice improvement.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GravyMeister
Landed Yesterday...

Benchmade Bugout
3.24" S30V
Putman G10
1.95OZ

[Linked Image]

The G10 scales are a very nice upgrade from the flimsy plastic factory scales. That is a nice EDC!

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I have or have had too many EDC's over the years to count. From very inexpensive {under 20.00} Gerbers, Ka-Bar's and Kershaws to Spyderco Natives and Benchmade Griptilian and Stryker. I bought a Real Steel T101 "Thor" last year, have been carrying it daily ever since and can honestly say I like it better than anything else I've had. I like a good sized EDC with enough handle for a good grip and plenty of cutting power and the Thor delivers without being overly bulky. It is less bulky than the Griptilian but with it's G-10 scales and full length stainless steel liners is also more robust with virtually no handle flex under heavy load. The 3 3/4" blade of Sandvic 14C28N has a high flat grind, is ground thin at the cutting edge and slices like a champ. It also takes and holds a very fine, razor sharp edge for a good long time. Yes it is made in China but is VERY WELL put together. Fit and finish is at least the equal of my Spydies and Benchmades. The blade pivots on ball bearings and the action is SUPER SMOOTH. It flips open lightning fast and effortlessly with the flipper tab and locks up like a bank vault. Anyone who dismisses these knives because of their Country of origin is missing out on a great deal. For 50.00 I don't think there is anything else out there that comes close to the quality and performance and don't think anything under 150.00 can beat it. At least not that I've found so far and I've got a drawer and glass display case full of knives.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
despise the BlueTheme, ...is what it be

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by GravyMeister
Landed Yesterday...

Benchmade Bugout
3.24" S30V
Putman G10
1.95OZ

[Linked Image]

awesome

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
p.s. the rat and rat ii are a LOT of knife for the $$.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
have heard/ seen Same on InterWeb KnifeSites

prolly should pull that Trigger also...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by FOsteology
I know it's rather subjective, and can vary widely depending on what industry/type of work one does. However, curious as to what everyone is using for an edc folder. I haven't really carried a pocket knife for years, but recently have found myself needing a knife for various tasks. Currently I have a Benchmade 535 Bugout. It's a nice enough knife, but the handle leaves much to be desired as there's no reinforcement, so the handle tends to flex a bit.

Thinking about trying something else.

Trying to narrow it down to one knife that fits all possible criteria better than any other knife, such as ergonomics, blade shape, thickness, steel type/edge type, price, weight, sharpening skill, sharpening habits, etc.

Must haves:

1. Has to be sharp, and hold an edge well.
2. Must lock securely
3. Must be dependable
4. Relatively inexpensive (under 150)

So, what are you gents using? Pictures, blade material, and model names appreciated.

I'm really not trying to be an ass here. It just struck me a little odd to not have carried a pocket knife for years and have a pile of requirements. You might want to just try out a few things and then decide. Just a few thoughts about them.

1. Definitely needs to be sharp. A dull knife will get you into trouble. Hold an edge well? That can mean alot of things. Some knives hold an edge really well, but they take a good deal of work to get sharp. I kind of like a balance between easy to sharpen and hold an edge. I tend to stay away from some of the modern super steels. I like 1095, D2, 440C and Case's variations.

2. I don't care for locking blades (though I'm not totally against them). I like a slip joint because I'm a little old fashioned and that's what paw paw had. The problem with lockers is that they can and do fail and if you aren't handling a knife properly, you'll get hurt. IMO, if you need a knife that can't fold when you don't need it to, a fixed blade is what you want. There are some pretty small/handy fixed blades out there. I almost always have a LT Wright Patriot in my pocket and that might be a good option if you need something heavy duty.

3. Plenty of options here. There are even some dependable, cheap, Chinese made options (Rough Rider comes to mind). Victorinox, Case, GEC, Buck, Leatherman, Kershaw, Benchmade all generally make a good one.

4. See 3.

Another thought, Something in the 3 inch range (closed) like a Case Peanut, Victorinox Cadet.... maybe even in the 3.5 inch range Victorinox Cadet, Case Medium Stockman will fit nicely in that little watch pocket in a pair of jeans. Makes it easy to access and keeps the knife from getting lost with keys and whatnot.

Well, we don't rent pigs, and it's better to say it right up front because a man who does like to rent pigs is — well, he's hard to stop.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 52 invisible), 2,647 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,565
Posts18,453,783
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.