Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by haverluk
I hunt in Northern VA. All the does in my area a "little does". A "big ol' dry doe" might weigh 80 pounds dressed and yet my .223 is a sub-.243 caliber and therefore not legal to hunt deer with... crazy

Here is a 7 year old doe taken on MCB Quantico. (Jaw bone aged by the base biologist) She dressed under 60 pounds.
[Linked Image]

damn thats a old little doe

GB1

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Shoot yeah!

Yearling doe is as good eating as you can get!

Done it several times.

Me too. Best eating ones definitely.

Yes, absolutely!

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I didn’t know there were little ones

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MILES58
For most of my hunting life I have preferred to shoot does. Specifically does with but one fawn because they are almost always < 3 years old. Once a doe reaches 4 years old around here she starts to drop twins annually. Generally, the 3 year old and younger does are much better eating. The last six years I have been working a neighborhood over population down and because of that, most of what I am killing have been the large older does that have (or had) two fawns. As I get into late December and with a tag yet to fill I will shoot younger does. Most of the does I shoot are wet. I hit one doe with my car a while back and guesstimating age by teeth and condition of the meat I guessed her at somewhere beyond ten years old. She was wet and but for the chops and tenderloins the meat was so coarse and tough she had to be almost completely grind meat.

A big fawn is my first choice, followed by a yearling (1.5 year old deer) followed by a 2.5 year old doe or a yearling buck. I shoot just for my table and make no apologies for doing it that way. Shooting fawns I get 100 lb deer and hardly affect the population since fully half of our fawns never see their first birthday.

At least 80 % of my does have twins. And most studies conclude that 90 % of the twins will be one buck and one doe.
And the older does are better mothers thus providing a higher fawn survival rate in the herd.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Neal, I have a few twins this year, but not as many as I expected with the wet winter, and plenty to eat.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mama has a standing order every year...... a couple of young ones!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Neal, I have a few twins this year, but not as many as I expected with the wet winter, and plenty to eat.

Yep. We SHOULD have had a great fawn crop this year. But I’m not seeing as many either.

We’ve had the wettest year on record for YEARS. Plenty to eat.
And the coyote population is down here too. Go figure.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Not a small doe, but, made me remember this.

I was on a guided baited bear hunt in Mn 20 plus years ago.
Guide took me and another guy out to our stands.
He dropped off the other guy first.
The guy was shooting a semi auto Browning in 7mm mag, I was bowhunting.
Just at dark the guide picked me up. I had seen nothing.
Then we went to get the other guy.
We stopped on the road a couple hundred yards from his stand, and he opens up with that 7 mag, he shot I believe four rounds in rapid succession.
The guide says to me, let’s walk in and see what he shot.
Upon arriving at the stand, the guy was so excited he could hardly talk and he had shot a monster bear.
We cautiously followed a thirty yard blood trail, and found a very dead bear that might go 40 pounds, it was really small.

NRA Patron
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've never shot a doe. Illegal to kill here in California since the early 70's I think.

"Can't shoot the King's deer without permission, peasant"

FBS

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Here is another from the same area that was 5 years old and dressed at like 52 pounds IIRC.
[Linked Image]

Semper Fi

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
1-1/2 year old doe is good eating. Must be a Virginia thing.

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by 16bore
1-1/2 year old doe is good eating. Must be a Virginia thing.

Massive overpopulation... The 1 1/2 year old deer are about the same size. I take all the does I can fit in the freezer. You fill the first six tags and then pay $23 for another six antler-less tags. That is if you are not using State issued DMAP tags that do not count against your personal tags. We can take does in my county from the beginning of September through the end of April.

Semper Fi

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by TBREW401
I try to shoot the big does

Actually, the big ole mature does are your best breeders.
I try to leave them alone in my herds at the Ranch.
We totally agree!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jnyork
On another board a guy was talking about using such and such cartridge to kill a Big Doe deer. I have heard about guys killing a Big Doe all my life.

Makes me wonder, has anyone EVER killed a Little Doe? Doubtful. laugh

I readily admit to having shot two that were so small they should have had collar on. Not very proud of it either.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Biggest Texas whitetail doe I killed weighed 187 pounds. Nearly broke me at the processing market.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I shoot the biggest doe in the bunch. If they come back, I shoot the next biggest doe. Self imposed limit of two per day. I'm lazy.

Generally process my own deer. Shot one the size of Haverluk's VA deer one time. Ended up with maybe ~10 pounds of boned out meat. Decided it wasn't worth the effort. I'm lazy. Not picking on Haverluk. Just try to stick with the larger doe's here in KY. In the last 26 years, have only shot a handful that were still wet when the KY rifle season opens in November.

As above, first time my wife tasted doe meat vs buck meat, I got strict instructions to only bring home does.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i always thought a 1 year old spike was mighty fine eating and never hesitated to drop when when we were allowed. the thing i hate about late season hunting is dropping a doe and then finding twin fetuses inside. kind of grosses me out. but around here thats the best way to control the population. it seems like almost every doe i see this time of year has twins and we're overrun around here because of the limited hunting area and everyone is a "bone" hunter.

My diploma is a DD214
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Last whitetail I shot (Nov 2017) was a yearling doe. Deeelicious.

Shot with a well worn 1894 Win in 25/35 WCF.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Never have killed a doe of any size. Back when I first started deer hunting we had real short gun seasons --- 3 days in November - 3 days in December --- only one male deer with a minimum antler length was allowed a year, doe were illegal, and it stayed that way for several years. I guess some old habits are hard for me to break because when it became legal to kill doe I still didn't. One or at most two deer is all we could eat in a year anyway and even then we would sometimes have a little meat left over from the previous season.

My son has killed some does but no Big Ol' ones. He shot one once during muzzle loader season when he was about 12 - 13 years old that was so small I carried it slung over my shoulder holding it by the legs with one hand and my gun in he other hand. Didn't get more than 12 - 15 pounds of meat from it butchered. And, honestly to me it was the absolute worst tasting venison I've ever eaten.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
You mean the ones that you can carry out of the woods by just throwing it over your shoulder like a coat? 😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

296 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 16penny, 2ndwind, 204guy, 1minute, 39 invisible), 2,383 guests, and 1,032 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,168
Posts18,465,353
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.