Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I’m in need of some 10x binos for my house. We have decent views with elk, deer, bear, etc in view, and I’m not a huge fan of family, neighbors, etc using my good hunting binos. I don’t want to spend much over $200. So, what’s the latest greatest binocular buy out there right now.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Simple, call Doug at Camera Land

gr8fuldougaol.com
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It would be our pleasure to assist you with this. I am off today but Neil is there, 516-217-1000, and can discuss with you what would be best

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Got some Nikon Monarch 3 10x42s last year with zero complaints. Less Xs but the Sightron BlueSky 8x32 is a great bargain. Curious for a 10x recommendation that is like the Sightron.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
For 200 bucks I would put up an add in the classified section and get some used glass where someone upgraded.

“Lighten up Francis”
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jetjockey
I’m not a huge fan of family, neighbors, etc using my good hunting binos. I don’t want to spend much over $200. So, what’s the latest greatest binocular buy out there right now.

Originally Posted by micky
For 200 bucks I would...get some used glass where someone upgraded.

^This is your answer. Damn near all of my gear is used or blemished. Expensive hobby.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I am the worst pennypincher there is. Granted. But if you can put aside your prejudices for a half hour, and go to a birdwatchers optics site...you will probably get an education. These kooks know their optics, especially the Brits...and know how to evaluate them. My take away last year, buying house binocs, the two best used porro's are the old Swift Audubon 8.5x44 and slightly harder to find, the Meade Optics Safari Pro 8x42 WA. On ebay I found a minty Audubon for 140 delivered and the Meade for 48 bucks delivered. 4 family members.. Comparing them on the USAF resolving chart...Zeiss, Leupold, Vortex, Swift and Meade. Unfortunately for my ego, the Zeiss were not a thousand dollars better than any of the others. Actually the funky old Leupold roof prism did better than all others with the sun on the objective lens, modern coatings I guess. All the others resolved to the same line on the chart. Scientific test? No. But a good indicator of what glass is useful in the real world. One strange result, all four agreed on...power ain't everything...brightness and clarity trump all.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I am the worst pennypincher there is. Granted. But if you can put aside your prejudices for a half hour, and go to a birdwatchers optics site...you will probably get an education. These kooks know their optics, especially the Brits...and know how to evaluate them. My take away last year, buying house binocs, the two best used porro's are the old Swift Audubon 8.5x44 and slightly harder to find, the Meade Optics Safari Pro 8x42 WA. On ebay I found a minty Audubon for 140 delivered and the Meade for 48 bucks delivered. 4 family members.. Comparing them on the USAF resolving chart...Zeiss, Leupold, Vortex, Swift and Meade. Unfortunately for my ego, the Zeiss were not a thousand dollars better than any of the others. Actually the funky old Leupold roof prism did better than all others with the sun on the objective lens, modern coatings I guess. All the others resolved to the same line on the chart. Scientific test? No. But a good indicator of what glass is useful in the real world. One strange result, all four agreed on...power ain't everything...brightness and clarity trump all.

Good advise, those birders know their stuff.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Vortex diamondback, if your scummy friends break them, just send them back for that warranty.

Vortex is junk but for what you are describing they would fill the role well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nothing real high end in my opinion. You are likely looking through a window and maybe a storm window in my case that well distort any image. We have some 10x Bushnells at the lake and when the grandkid came up there he dropped them three times before they went into a drawer. I've got the Swarovski and the Leica binos safely put away, so my house binos are just a cheapo pair of Bushnell Sportview with that quick to focus rocker that I like. It isn't like you are going to be glassing for hours just looking out in the neighborhood, so a quick look with under $200. binos is a great plan. Kids and kid's friends coming in and out of the house put anything of value at risk of getting legs and being gone or broken.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
10x42 Bushnell Legend 'M' for right at $200 should be a consideration. Athlon Argos 10x42 is another.

Last edited by kenjs1; 06/26/19.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Duog recommend the Hawke Enduron EDs for a friend of mine and she is pleased I said I wanted to spend $200 so that's the price he gave me, a nice fathers day discount. Awhile back the birders flocked to the Nikon Superior Es as a say 90% close to Swarovskie bino. I bet some have moved on and are on the used market for close to your budget. They really are a good little glass. At one camp the cabin overlooks a big canyon and we keep a pair of 12x on a tripod so we can spy on what is coming or going in the canyon. If the tripod is mounted securely like bungeed to a railing then the chances of a spill are reduced.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We just cut a deal with Steiner and this created a fantastic opportunity on some binoculars:

Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26 Binocular reduced from $349.99 to only $119.99

Steiner XC 10x32 Binocular reduced from $469.99 to only $229.99

We have some others that should be confirmed today or tomorrow and we will do a complete post as soon as we know exactly which others will be available.

As always, please feel free to give us a call, 516-217-1000

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Did Steiner get rid of the yellow tint they used to have on at least some of their binoculars? They claimed it made brown game stand out more which it may have but it annoyed me to the point of writing them off.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tejano
Did Steiner get rid of the yellow tint they used to have on at least some of their binoculars? They claimed it made brown game stand out more which it may have but it annoyed me to the point of writing them off.

That's only units with CAT coating

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I bought a pair of the Athlon Argos to just bang around in my truck everyday as I put 40k miles a year on with my job in good wildlife country. for what I paid and even double that they are exceptional and have a lifetime warranty.

Everyone is pretty on the internet!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by fishnut
I bought a pair of the Athlon Argos to just bang around in my truck everyday as I put 40k miles a year on with my job in good wildlife country. for what I paid and even double that they are exceptional and have a lifetime warranty.

https://www.costco.com/Athlon-Argos-10X42-Binocular-With-Harness.product.100493402.html

$150 shipped from Costco

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Last edited by 338rcm; 06/28/19.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 12344mag, 16penny, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,640 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,306
Posts18,468,155
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.