Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 49 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 48 49
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Au contraire Neal!!! I strongly rcommend tbe Allsup’s gut grenade! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣.They are like a bicycle JATO unit!!

I remember archaeologist son’s room mate while at tech destroyin’ the one holer at the old Allsups in Post.

Wasn’t pretty!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 06/29/19.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Au contraire Neal!!! I strongly rcommend tbe Allsup’s gut grenade! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣.They are like a bicycle JATO unit!!

I remember archaeologist son’s room mate while at tech destroyin’ the one holer at the old Allsups in Post.

Wasn’t pretty!

Yep. They’ll damn sure clean you out. 😬

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
This is fascinating. When you finish, I hope you will post a list of all the stuff that added 50 pounds to the bike. How many spare tubes or do you take patch kits? Can you do laundry on the way? Can you keep tire pressure up with one of those little frame mounted pumps?

I always wanted to do something like you're doing. 87 degrees here and I averaged just over 10 mph riding 20 miles today. Of course all I take are two water bottles. Mild hills you wouldn' t notice when driving can be brutal. One minute you're clawing up a hill at 5 or 6 mph. A minute later coasting down at 30 mph. I use 20 of my 21 speeds. The lowest one is so low it's hard to keep the bike from tipping.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Birdwatcher

When you get to Montana, please let me know. Would be a pleasure to grab a beer or dinner and hear about your journey.

Safe travels and spin it out!

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Worked out the water deal, i now have six 24oz bottles plus a 3L Camelback bladder. So now out here I don’t gotta stop where there’s water. For example I’m at the DQ in Stirling City now, forty miles/five hours to Big Spring. If I roll about 7pm I can cover two hours of that before I quit at dark
Rolled out of the motel at 9am, found Ft Concho, the bookstore is now a cowboy boot place. Awful time finding breakfast, all the place had across from the old bookstore site was bagels. Ate four, rolled out at 11am.

Hwy 87 so far is GREAT, low grades, wide smooth shoulder. Paused for a 2hr nap en route.

I am happy to report that White people in Stirling City are still having kids. I am less happy to report they all bring em to the DQ about this time of day.

Two rules on a bike trip; never pass up an opportunity to eat and never pass up a bathroom opportunity. Eating a chicken taco salad with yesterday’s lettuce now. Gonna pick up a half gallon of milk on the way out of town and sleep out under the orbiting space junk, just like the cowboys did cool

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Watch out for the wolves and coyotes.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Watch out for the wolves and coyotes.

I got 18 rounds of 147grains apiece says I win. If that ain’t enough, ya know what they say out here, save the last bullet for yer self.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Great thread' be safe in your travels.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wide open Country between Sterling City & Big Springs.
You’ll have an ample view of the sky tonight and good weather. Be safe. Truck traffic will get heavy when you hit Big Springs

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
cool beans birdie!

Seen any interesting feathered friends of the unexpected variety?

Keep the pics coming, I'm getting a vicarious TX vacation.

Not familiar with that snake here. Guessing a lyre snake of some sort?

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
This is fascinating. When you finish, I hope you will post a list of all the stuff that added 50 pounds to the bike. How many spare tubes or do you take patch kits? Can you do laundry on the way? Can you keep tire pressure up with one of those little frame mounted pumps?

I always wanted to do something like you're doing. 87 degrees here and I averaged just over 10 mph riding 20 miles today. Of course all I take are two water bottles. Mild hills you wouldn' t notice when driving can be brutal. One minute you're clawing up a hill at 5 or 6 mph. A minute later coasting down at 30 mph. I use 20 of my 21 speeds. The lowest one is so low it's hard to keep the bike from tipping.

33 pound steel bicycle, 20 pounds of rack and panniers (Orleib, spendy but the ONLY way to go), 30 pounds of stuff, plus toolset, spare chainring. Extra tire (folded). Five or six spare tubes.

TIRES: it’s like Shakespeare said... “Costly thy tires as thy money can buy”...... Schwalbe Marathon Mondials.... $80 per... uber flat resistant.

Big straw hat over nylon “Buff” tube headwear, oversized nylon UPF 50 fishing shirt, loose fitting pants of same material. Wears like iron, ya can feel breezes though it, hand washes in the shower, drip dries to just damp overnight. Extras roll up compact and weigh very little.

Brung a Lenzyne mini-floor pump ($70), will fit on the frame but I stuff it in a pannier. All aluminum, rebuildable, works fine. I check tire pressure once a week, 80psi will be 65 in a week, either one works.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jcubed
Birdwatcher

When you get to Montana, please let me know. Would be a pleasure to grab a beer or dinner and hear about your journey.

Safe travels and spin it out!

[quote=Jcubed]

Sure, but I’m running on “if’s” and not “whens” at this point.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I always wondered how the heck they named that spot “Sterling City” ?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Szumi
I'm enjoying the heck out of your thread. I see your bicycle has down tube shift levers. That puts it back a bit in time. My road bike had those shifters it got upgraded to Sachs Ergopower back in the day. What make and model of bike are you riding?

Do you have some sort of mirror to see behind you? I've used a mirror that clipped onto my eye glasses so I can see behind me. Typically I hear a vehicle, I look to see if it is giving me room so I know if I need to get out of its path. Ears and eyes, kept me safe on a lot of cross state tours. I think it was a lot safer 20-30 years ago before smart phones and idiot drivers.

‘89 Schwinn Voyageur, only the frame, shifters and deraillieurs are original. Big ol cheapo Bell handlebar mirrors, one on each side. I watch em constantly, doesn’t mean I can’t get taken out. Per hour or per mile, IMHO road bicycling is way more dangerous than motorcycling.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Your trip reports are interesting. Keep 'em coming.

Enjoy your adventure.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Eden, pop 2,000, half of whom are incarcerated in the State jail. Truly BFE, yet has a famous meat market, with this weird mural on the wall.

[Linked Image]

Camping spot overnight, eight miles west of Eden.

[Linked Image]

Breakfast of champions....

[Linked Image]Untitled

The worst part of getting your water from the sink in the men's room at a rest area? That faint soapy aftertaste sick

[Linked Image]Untitled

Oversized Magellan fishing shirts in colors not found in nature is the way to go.

Life on the line, living and loving dangerously....

[Linked Image]

Second breakfast, its all about the calories....

[Linked Image]

Right then, off onto the High Plains. This place sure is tougher than going the other way to NY or tooling around the UK.

Birdy,

It looks like the lens on on your cell phone is dirty or greasy, or maybe scratched. If its just dirty or greasy, all you need to do is clean it with a clean cloth and your pics should clear up really well. Hope this helps!

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
mike i'll pretty much be following your route when i head to littlefield tx next month. but i will be a passenger in my brothers car.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks to how wide the Central Time Zone is, usable light out here all the way until 9:30pm. At which time God arranged for a roadside picnic area to appear. Looks clean. Ordinarily I wouldn’t choose such a obvious spot to put in for the night but the roadsides the last two hours since SC have been rough and rocky. Only smooth spots were the concrete aprons of drain pipes going under the highway which could be magnets for critters of all sorts, many of which prob’ly aint condusive to a good nights sleep. There is one about 100 yards away where I could go if I need to crap.

Two 24oz water bottles drank in the last two hours, working on a third. Three left, plus 3L of water in the Camelback in reserve. 25 miles (three hours) to I20 and Big Spring in the morning. On 24oz bottle is soaking two green tea bags and a packet of sugar for my morning shot of caffeine.

Peaceful out here, just the frequent roar of passing trucks, a lit up industrial site about 100 yards away (other direction) and the friendly blinking red Christmas lights of the windmills on the hilltops all around.

Prob’ly just gonna sleep on a table, no skeeters so far. Not really hungry after the DQ experience and obligatory chocolate milk before leaving town. Might leave the 1/2 gallon of milk until morning, it’ll prob’ly keep.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I had forgotten about all the Wind Turbines our there.
You’ll see a ton of those on the way to Lubbock.
I’m pretty sure the road turns into a 4 lane north of I-20.
I’m pretty sure there’s a McDonalds in Lamesa if your headed that way.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by achadwick

It looks like the lens on on your cell phone is dirty or greasy, or maybe scratched. If its just dirty or greasy, all you need to do is clean it with a clean cloth and your pics should clear up really well. Hope this helps!

It’s the case. Looked in Walmart last night for a replacement, the Otterboxes won’t fit easily in a shirt pocket or in my handlebar bag. I bought a $19 cheapo the size of my present spendy Lifecase but WTF when I unpacked it at the hotel it was just a frame and back with no screen protection.

Prob’ly I’ll pick up an Otterbox in Big Spring tomorrow.

Page 6 of 49 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 48 49

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,351 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,621
Posts18,455,093
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.