Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I recently got a chance to play with one of these, it was an Adventure model (black synthetic/matte black finish on all metal..$799.00)....I was extremely impressed with this guns build quality and function, Benelli better watch out is all I know 😁.......If you get a chance to handle one I bet you will also be impressed......Hb

BP-B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
OK Mr Enabler, I had to look these guns up. They sound like a lot of gun for the money, like to know how they hold up long term. I have 2 Benelli's and have always wondered why they cost what they do when they are basically built entirely by Robots. I do like the Walnut on those shotguns a whole lot more then the enhanced walnut on Benellis for sure.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Ha! Just wait till you handle one, the quick detach trigger assembly is an excellent feature, the one I held popped in and out like butter (to the salesmans amazement) When I left the shop he had the Masai Mara back out of the rack showing a couple guys how easy it is to pop out and replace the trigger assembly 😁

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
OE, I agree 100% with you on the cost of Benelli shotguns, I have 2 Myself and have wondered why they cost so damn much for what you get. i'd say Benelli has been makin a killin for years! ....Hb

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Not sure who came up with the name for that gun but I think they should go back to the drawing board.

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
It’s named after a game reserve in Kenya.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by RufusG
Not sure who came up with the name for that gun but I think they should go back to the drawing board.

Agree bad choice in name.

As for Benelli's being over priced show me another shotgun that has proven itself over the length of time they have. You get what you pay for.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah IMO Masai Mara is not the best name but they are made by Retay in Turkey so maybe thats a cool name in Turkey 😁.......Hb

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

As for Benelli's being over priced show me another shotgun that has proven itself over the length of time they have. You get what you pay for.

Plenty of excellent shotguns on the market, only time will tell with this wave of Turkish made shotguns but from what I saw in that Masai Mara Im guessing they will be every bit the shotgun Benelli is and for a fraction of the price 👍........Hb

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Yeah IMO Masai Mara is not the best name but they are made by Retay in Turkey so maybe thats a cool name in Turkey 😁.......Hb

They took three words, none of which exactly roll off the American tongue, and put them together. I can envision some guy walking up to the gun counter, intending to say "let me see that Retay Masai Mara" and having "let me see that ... Benelli M2" come out instead. laugh

Last edited by RufusG; 07/03/19.
IC B3

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V

They took three words, none of which exactly roll off the American tongue, and put them together. I can envision some guy walking up to the gun counter, intending to say "let me see that Retay Masai Mara" and having "let me see that ... Benelli M2" come out instead. laugh

Ha! Oh yes I can see that happening too, then he will look at the price tag on the M2 and "let me see that Retay" will flow off his tongue much easier...😁.....Hb

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I like the ones I've handled and really like the pop out tooless trigger. That being said they are in a tough spot price wise. More than a Franchi, less than a Benelli. Italian vs Turkish. Hard sell for most guys to pass up the Italian Franchi on a Turkish newcomer. Then you have the Turkish Weatherby Element for 500, or same gun as the ATA Neo for 300. I have the ATA in a 20 ga and I really like it especially for the price. I'd like to see them succeed but going against established brands is a tough road.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I agree the ATA Arms (Weatherby Element) is very tough competition indeed...IMO the best bang for the buck in an Inertia shotgun, I am considering one of those for a squirrel/rabbit gun 👍 Or the Retay. the Retay is more expensive than the Element but I really like the machined aluminum quick detatchable trigger assembly on the Retay and that alone might be worth the difference in price for Me, plus I like the oiled finish and swivel studs on the wood/blue Retay ..Hb

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Beretta semi auto. I have both and next on the list will be a Franchi Affinity which I believe has a better recoil system

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Ha! Oh yes I can see that happening too, then he will look at the price tag on the M2 and "let me see that Retay" will flow off his tongue much easier...😁.....Hb

God I hate M2's , not a worse value in a shotgun in todays world. I had an M1 super 90 and a M2 at the same time. Guess which went down the road?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
My M2 will be the last shotgun I ever let go. It is a killing machine for me. Fits like a glove.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I ran a Retay through it's paces during duck season last year for a week. Retail salesman brought a couple down. Was the 3" bottomland camo. Light and pointed very well and did what it was supposed too. I am a hard core SBE1 man and lefthanded. Mine has 4-5 cases of 3" steel run through it a season and has for 20+ years. Yes I maintain very well and you have too in the salt marshes of NC. Would I shoot a Retay? Yes! Am I going to buy one? No! SBE1 is the cream of crop for "ME"! Lasting over time in harsh conditions is what concerns me about the RETAY. Just My 2 cents....

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I became fed up with with a few problems I've had with Benelli in addition to the price. I loved much about my first M2 I bought 15 years ago but my first thought was that for the simplicity of the gun that it was overpriced. Additionally, my particular gun had a manufacturing defect that made it unusable with much of the ammo available.

I just bought a Retay but haven't picked it up. The name is unusual and the price still feels a little too high, but Retay could give Benelli some competition. Apparantly, now that Benelli's patent is up for their design, they have a lot more competition.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Looking at the build quality of the Retay's I have handled I dont see any reason they shouldn't last as long as any Benelli ever made 👍...Actually the build quality of the Masai Mara looks better than a Benelli, I dont see any plastic parts on the Retay .....Hb

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I was not knocking them at all. I actually emailed retay and ask for my brother if they had plans for a lefty. They replied quickly and said was up for 2020. Yes I think Benelli has taken us over the years just as have BIG PHARMS.

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
663 members (163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 76 invisible), 2,672 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,367
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.