Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I suppose clicking past and returning to the desired position may work but on a good scope it isn't necessary......it the reason I posted this thread. There should not be any slop nor should the erector system hang up.

This isn't the first Leupold I have used that didn't track correctly. I expected it with the old friction style windage and elevation adjustments found on some Vari X IIs that cost under $300 but not on a newer VX-3 LR with the dual erector springs that comes with turrets that cost $1200.

Last edited by Azshooter; 06/29/19.
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Tejano
Not sure if I learned it from my Dad or read it somewhere but I have been following Gunzos procedures for as long as I can remember. Not only the turn through and then back method but we would also tap on the turrets with a penny or tiny brass hammer. This was when most scopes did not have click adjustments. When other shooters would watch us twisting and tapping they though it was some kind of weird ritual to make the rifle more accurate. I guess it was.

I hope more people sell their almost new scopes for being a quarter of an inch off. Keeps the prices lower.

I always carry a brass hammer when I am hunting.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Another round with the Leupold leap it appears...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Google Search for Elimination of Backlash in a linear positioning mechanism.
It should be obvious that it is any screw thread not just your Leopold Scope.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Originally Posted by Tejano
Not sure if I learned it from my Dad or read it somewhere but I have been following Gunzos procedures for as long as I can remember. Not only the turn through and then back method but we would also tap on the turrets with a penny or tiny brass hammer. This was when most scopes did not have click adjustments. When other shooters would watch us twisting and tapping they though it was some kind of weird ritual to make the rifle more accurate. I guess it was.

I hope more people sell their almost new scopes for being a quarter of an inch off. Keeps the prices lower.

I always carry a brass hammer when I am hunting.

Anybody else I would snicker at this, but with you I had to think about it ...

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nightforce thinks backlash is something to be concerned about....

https://www.nightforceoptics.com/technology

laissez les bons temps rouler
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
So, something other than the scope cause a POI change of 1/4" since sitting 8 months. And then 1 click of the dial stuck temporarily. Sounds like a major crisis.
I'd be pissed too. Or just not let OCD take over. One of those

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Before you started using it, did you run the turrets end-to-end a number of times as you were instructed?

If that is all it takes to "fix" a sticky Leupie, then it sure seems like an easy fix.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
No OCD here. Just observing characteristics of this scope on a reliable rifle. Meanwhile a $299 12x SWFA was asked to do the same movement and it did it with no hanging up or inaccuracy.

The Leupold reticle hung up, moved the requested total of 1/2" with second click THEN IT JUMPED BACK to where it should have gone originally with the first click. Each group shot were tiny clusters. Meanwhile the windage knob was still two clicks right. There is a reason why there are no Leupolds on my big game rifles......burned once during a coues wt hunt and a week before another coues hunt.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,002 guests, and 1,089 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,190
Posts18,465,790
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.