Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Oh and I just burned 50 rounds off the back porch 15 minutes ago, shot 100 off the porch and out the living room window last evening and went through 400 over the past week. This will go on at a similar rate all summer so I do shoot just a wee bit.

You got yourself involved in the Hatfields and McCoys feud finally? That’s the only way I’d believe you’re pumping rounds like that a day from your living room couch. Makes complete sense. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Though I stated above I have used Bushnell/Bausch & Lomb scopes, I still use a lot of Leupolds on my rifles. Not sure how many 3 - 9 x 40 VariX II I have but they have been exceptionally bulletproof over the years and probably the best bargain in scopes that has been available for just about ever. I have several of the 6.5 - 20 x 40's also and for what I use them for- Vermin and targets- they have also been just about perfect. Embarking on using a VX 3i 3.5-10 on my .338 but so far it seems like a great scope and the 4. 5 -14 on my 26 Nosler seems pretty well suited to it, but haven't used it enough to wring it out real well yet. Give me about 10-15 years and if it is still working and I'm still hunting I'll let you know..... wink

Reading the responses so far (at least the semi-helpful ones), it seems there are two groups of scope users- the ones who feel money is no object so get the most expensive glass you can because it has to be reliable due to the cost. Then there are guys like me who squeeze our hunting/shooting hobbies into the rest of our lives and family time and settle for the best bang for the buck we can afford. To me, that has been Leupold for a very long time and lately the Bushnell products have improved their quality since their partnership with Bausch & Lomb to warrant a trial. I've had very few scopes fail of any brand, but the three I can think of are a couple Leupolds due to my rough handling- certainly not a factory or design problem, and a Bausch & Lomb 4000 elite 2.5 -10 that was on my favorite .338 for at least 12 years or more and went through hell and back with me. Finally was able to bend the tube on the B&L to the point it can't be repaired, so I have to decide if I want one of the new Nitro scopes for half price or..... ????? Still thinking on it..

Bob.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Doesn't matter whether it's optics or truck tires, internet forum reviews ain't worth spit and the forum "experts" don't know shyt from shinola.

Exactly.... The "experts" here only have their opinion or preference which doesn't mean any more than the non-experts here, but they'll sure try and tell you that they're right and you're definitely wrong.

And these same "experts" will ASSume the others aren't real shooters/hunters since they don't agree with them.

I'll continue to shoot Leupold, Burris, Athlon, Nikon, Mueller, Hawke etc.... and all have 1000s of rounds on them and work flawlessly. Shoot what works for you! Not based on some unknown on a forum telling you what they like. If someone wants to buy me their favorite scope then I'll use it, but it's your money, spend as you wish.

To answer the OPs original question; if Leupold was no more, I'd go Nikon or Burris.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Now that the majority of posters in this section has condemned Leupold scopes and their progeny, what will you use in the future?

Should scopes even have black tubes or gold markings anymore? I'm thinking that people might mistake them for Leupolds. Perhaps they should be camoflaged, made a dull brown, flat blue, or painted vibrant reds, yellows and pinks...for the benchrest crowd, and gay people...but I'm not saying that BR shooters are gay, ok? Just trying to be all inclusive. Although I suppose some of the BR crowd probably are, but again, that's ok. Just trying to be all inclusive. frown

Apart from properly fixing the erectors, the knobs, reticles, and other stuff I probably missed, is there something that Leupold should do to make amends to the shooting public? blush

Years ago, they would have taken the owners or senior people into the public square and had them flogged. Would that be a possibility? I was just thinking that they might do things properly if they knew that it was not going to go well for them personally. You know, if they put profits above quality. eek

Should there be a sheriff's sale of the factory and property to another scope company? eek

Should Leupold users be shunned by Zeiss or NF owners? Or shamed into divesting themselves of all their Leupold scopes in favour of something of higher quality? mad

I'm confused. See, I only have one Leupold, so I don't feel angry or ashamed. Should I be ashamed though? I did get it repaired up here (for free), but what other 4 power scopes would do?

So many questions. So confusing...

What will you use Steve?

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Oh and I just burned 50 rounds off the back porch 15 minutes ago, shot 100 off the porch and out the living room window last evening and went through 400 over the past week. This will go on at a similar rate all summer so I do shoot just a wee bit.

Only thing you've burned is all of your brain cells living up there in the Rocky Mountain Adirondacks.

Haha 😆

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Judman
What will you use Steve?

I only have one Leupold, but it is not a target model. It's a 4x33.

I have never used Leupolds on any of my target rifles. I have used Bushnell for years. I only have three target rifles left now. Two have 4200 6-24x50s. One is on a 222 Rem. The other is on a 308. The third is on a 303, and I use a Bushnell 10x40.

I have a varmint 6x45mm in a Choate stock. I am using a Mueller 8-32. I also have an 8-32 on a 22LR for postal (now email) matches. I have a Burris 6.5x20 MD on the shelf.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Konus Pro is the only way to go. crazy

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I will use my Leupolds until they wear out and fog over and won't shoot a 3 inch group. I have never had any of the problems described on here other they don't track like some claim their Night Forces and Zeiss do. But I'm not a turret cranker anyway. I sight in at the range 1 1/2 inch high at 100 yards and go hunting. I know all the holdovers for my rifle and load and if I need to shoot out to 400 yards I just hold over about 17 inches.

If Leupold goes away( I don't think they're going anywhere because they're still very popular other than on here) I'll buy Nikon or Burris. Nikon is my "OTHER" favorite scope. On another forum I'm on Leupold is king and Nikon and Burris are the dogs. There it's the same thing, certain people run them down and list 2 dozen problems with them I've never personally encountered.

On that forum the majority are anti .270 ANYTHING! And most of the bad mouthers have never shot, much less owned a .270. They keep hooting about there's not enough different bullets made for it, which I believe to be a crock. Now they aren't long range target rifles mainly because nobody makes a good heavy target bullet in .277 diameter yet, so that complaint may have merrit in that respect but I'm a hunter as most all there are. But their argument has no real merrit because if you ask them what bullets they use in such and such rifle they'll tell you they shoot nothing but. such and such, which is my answer to their complaint about the .270. I don't need 40 different bullets for it. Hell it's a deer rifle that I also use on hogs. But everybody makes the best weight hunting bullets for it which seem to be a 100 grain, 130 grain, 140 grain, 150 grain, and now some companies are making 160s and a couple specialty bullet companies are making as heavy as 170 or maybe 175 for long range in fast twist barrels. How many freaking bullets do you need? And I would bet at some point some of these specialty bullet makers like Matrix or Berger will eventually come out with some heavy accuracy bullets in .277 diameter.

I personally prefer a 130 grain either Sierra Game King or a 130 grainll Nosler Ballistic Tip and also the Combined Technologies Ballistic Tip for both deer and hogs. Any 130 grain Spitzer in a .270 are deadly on deer and medium size game out to the ranges I shoot at anyway, which is usually around 400 yards max. And I wouldn't be afraid to take it on an Elk Hunt if I ever get an opportunity to go on one. If so, I'll use another bullet made for it, a 150 grain Nosler Partition. And there's several more good 150 grain bullets capable of penetrating a heavy animal's skin and bones made for it such as the Swift A Frame and the Speer Grand Slam. It IS missile science but very basic Missile science. There's more than an adequate range of bullets made for the .270. But the point is this is a silly argument just like some of what's said about Leupold scopes on here.

Anyway, like was said, you can't always take what you hear on these forums to the bank. It's all about opinions and in truth there's probably a lot of scopes that work well, and a lot of different cartridges that will kill anything walking on this continent. Use what you want based on your personal experience, and I'd bet you will do well if you do a lot of shooting and hone your skills. It's more about the the nut behind the trigger than the trigger.

Last edited by Filaman; 06/29/19.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The Fire has over 60 different specialized forum categories, and there isn't one for me:

Leupold Anonymous Support Group

-- Only to be used by Leupold Set-and-forget users who are too ignorant or bull-headed to change to Nightforce
-- Cannot sign in using your normal forum name, must use an alias and a location somewhere in Eastern Europe
-- Must be using one or more Leupolds which can't track or hold-zero

This forum would be step-one of a 12-step process of recovery.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Beaver10

You got yourself involved in the Hatfields and McCoys feud finally? That’s the only way I’d believe you’re pumping rounds like that a day from your living room couch. Makes complete sense. 😎
You must have me mistaken for someone who gives a fuuck what you believe. What I know is this. I live where I can shoot all I want, whenever I want. Off the back porch, the front porch, out the window, makes no difference, so I shoot a bunch because I enjoy it and I can. You fellas are good at running your lips and crowing about how great you are at shooting/hunting but I've got a drawer full of medals taken in registered competition so I don't have to guess whether I'm good or not. That has been tested on the firing line many times and proven beyond a shadow of doubt.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Currently I have ten scoped rifles, admittedly few compared to many here. Exactly half of them have Leupolds on them. As a dedicated set and forget type scope user I wait until they fail in some way, and cross that bridge when I get to it. I don't have any high dollar hunts to jeopardize, so that's not a worry. YMMV.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use Leupold for hunting scopes and Sightron for target scopes. Have several SWFA ..glass sucks IMO

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
OK, here goes. I have a Leupold Mark 1 Ultra 16X on my prone gun. On my hunting rifles I have 3-9X Trijicon's and a 1-4X Trijicon with the big cross hairs on my .416 They all have a green center dot. I really like putting that dot where I want the bullet to go. I can keep both eyes open when I shoot. On the fclass guns, I'm using NightForce scopes. Back in the halcyon days of yesteryear folks liked the Leupold's as they had a reputation for not fogging. That was fine on your "set and forget" hunting scopes. I had two Leupold vari-x 3's that would not adjust. When I got them back from the factory for the third time they got to live with someone else. The Mark 1 is a positive adjusting scope and has never given me any trouble. Any way, that is what I use.

Presidents 100-'97
Distinguished Rifleman-'81
NRA Benefactor
Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Lorne
"Now that the majority of posters in this section has condemned Leupold scopes and their progeny, what will you use in the future?"

I have some Leupold, Weaver (K4 & K6), Burris (FFII) and Swarovski Z3 . Probably just keep on 😉

I think the majority of people will keep on, keeping on. With Weaver gone, if you need to replace either, you will have to decide whether to go with Leupold, Zeiss or change to a low power variable. I have a Weaver 4x on a 308. I think if it ever went south, I would look for another 4x.

I was disappointed to see/hear Weaver was done. K6 and K4 are very useful. I like the Leupold that I have : FXII 6 ; VXII 2-7 and an old 2.5X8 , not perfect but good. Doubt I would spend the $ for a L 4 power. Probably surrender and spend more $$ to buy a Z3 in 3X9.

I have to agree that, while I like Leupold, they are over priced in today’s market. That’s me , could be wrong

Forgot to mention I have an old Redfield 4X on a Savage 99 , 300

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Moved to the SWFA HD series of scopes. Have a 5-20, 1-4 not in production , 1-6 and 3-9. Also have a few SS SWFAs 10X, 12X and a 3-15. Far more reliable than the 20 plus Leupolds I owned over the past 40 years.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

You must have me mistaken for someone who gives a fuuck what you believe. What I know is this. I live where I can shoot all I want, whenever I want. Off the back porch, the front porch, out the window, makes no difference, so I shoot a bunch because I enjoy it and I can. You fellas are good at running your lips and crowing about how great you are at shooting/hunting but I've got a drawer full of medals taken in registered competition so I don't have to guess whether I'm good or not. That has been tested on the firing line many times and proven beyond a shadow of doubt.

>well darn: i live in the country too ,i got plenty trap trophies and a whole bunch of medals in archery in the harder class F.S. and at the bench rest shoots we did cash or you got a sheet of paper with how you did. but i got a wall full of elk,mule deer and whitetail horns , i shot with my old bow and Zwickey Broadheads, now days plenty horns just hangin in the garage too. but with my poorer eyes and age that scope works just fine on my single shot rifle too. and i bet there are plenty other guys that have done the same too in life as i have !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by pete53

>well darn: i live in the country too ,i got plenty trap trophies and a whole bunch of medals in archery in the harder class F.S. and at the bench rest shoots we did cash or you got a sheet of paper with how you did. but i got a wall full of elk,mule deer and whitetail horns , i shot with my old bow and Zwickey Broadheads, now days plenty horns just hangin in the garage too. but with my poorer eyes and age that scope works just fine on my single shot rifle too. and i bet there are plenty other guys that have done the same too in life as i have !
Yeah, I've got an archery trophy from a local tournament around here someplace too. Mostly just medals from the rifle tournaments, including three state championship medals, one from the Northeastern states championship, and many from local leugue shoots. I've also built and repaired firearms for a living for 10 yeas and have many whitetail antlers on my walls. I might even know almost as much about firearms and be almost as good with a rifle as some of the big shot experts on here.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Damn , you and JG need to stop picking on mentally handicapped individuals. It's not nice.

BTW the King of the Adirondacks and Pete53 arguing about who has the most medals is simply priceless. grin

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by CJC73

What?! Don't you know all you need is a fixed 6x power to shoot those types of groups at 1000+ yards!

Who said that?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Damn , you and JG need to stop picking on mentally handicapped individuals. It's not nice.

BTW the King of the Adirondacks and Pete53 arguing about who has the most medals is simply priceless. grin

It's uber priceless Mr Adirondacks is too dam lazy to get off the couch when he shoots for minute of bear turd.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
686 members (1Akshooter, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 76 invisible), 3,114 guests, and 1,456 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,678
Posts18,399,550
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.