#13941666 - 07/01/19 Re: CPM M4 in use reports [Re: michiganroadkill]  
michiganroadkill Online content
Campfire Guide
michiganroadkill  Online Content
Campfire Guide

western michigan
Another report of M4 performance
"Tim,
Skinned a couple more yearling cattle yesterday and the knife is still shaving sharp. Thanks again
zach"

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
300 BP

#13966384 - 07/11/19 Re: CPM M4 in use reports [Re: michiganroadkill]  
michiganroadkill Online content
Campfire Guide
michiganroadkill  Online Content
Campfire Guide

western michigan
So being of sound mind I been finishing some of the CPM M4 in knives for myself. I already have more "personal" knives
than I can use, but I am sooooo good to myself.

It seems that 21 degrees gives a very nice edge for all shapes and blade thickness. I go to 600 grit and then leather strop.
I need to do some more extensive cutting and whittling to see how the edge retention is, but seems really good at this point.

Anyone who got one of this batch that would like a resharpen by me, it will only cost you the shipping to get it to me.

Have any of you done a resharpen on one of these blades yet?????? If so????????

Thanks
Tim
PS: IFFF I could post pics here I would show my personal knives here.
I can send a pic by smart ass phone if someone wants to post it here.

Last edited by michiganroadkill; 07/11/19.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
#13966647 - 07/11/19 Re: CPM M4 in use reports [Re: michiganroadkill]  
MILES58 Offline
Campfire Tracker
MILES58  Offline
Campfire Tracker

Minnesota
I am still using mine at the steeper angle (more like 15 degrees) and it does not seem to be too much. The edge does not roll and the thing stays shaving sharp. I will start killing deer in two months now so pretty soon I will run the blade over the diamond stone again and then polish on a water stone and after that I will just use it on deer gutting, shinning, breaking down into quarters boning out the carcass (Ribs and neck) and then it will be used for boning out the quarters. Once that begins I do not expect to have much to report until it gets dull enough to need to see the diamond stone again. That looks to me like it will take several years at least from the use I have put it through over the summer so far. Nothing seems to bother it. My favorite VG-10 knife with nearly the same geometry took just over two years (nine deer). I intend to compare apples to apples so I will only use it on deer once I start the test. If you want a interim report before I come back at the "end" just email me.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin, SYSOP 

AIH 160
Who's Online Now
702 registered members (10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 117LBS, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 79 invisible), 1,842 guests, and 350 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2018 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.