Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Polecat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]
Shot these two this morning when they came out of the tall weeds by the driveway. The poor 340 doesn't get a lot of respect, but I like them! Flame away laugh

Lee

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Nice shooting 👍

Those 340s do the job well

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
What cartridge?

Good shootin'!

Polecat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
222 Rem, Mike. Fist one was shot a bout 55yrds, 2nd one stopped for a moment just before going into the tall stuff another 15 yrds away. His mistake! Both shots were off hand.

Lee

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When it comes to rifles, they are better than no rifle at all.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
When it comes to rifles, they are better than no rifle at all.

Well stated

Could not have said it any better with 1000 words

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm not a huge fan of 340's (nifty ones posed beside dead whistle pigs excluded!), but appreciate their utility. I often wondered why Savage didn't offer it in more chamberings though. I often wondered why they ever discontinued it. Had sales dropped off badly?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I'm not a huge fan of 340's (nifty ones posed beside dead whistle pigs excluded!), but appreciate their utility. I often wondered why Savage didn't offer it in more chamberings though. I often wondered why they ever discontinued it. Had sales dropped off badly?

Savage imploded in the mid-1980's and quit making the 24s, 99s, and 340s. They were so desperate to generate money that they assembled an unknown number of 99s in non-cataloged configurations from whatever parts were left in the warehouse. I read somewhere that when Ron Coburn took over as CEO in 1988(?), Savage was losing millions of dollars each year. Coburn decided to focus on the 110 series and that plan pulled Savage out of bankruptcy.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
When it came to rifles, 340s beat the crap out of a rifle you couldn't afford. One of the many things I like about the Savage brand--value for money, including everyone.

Last edited by Mesa; 07/01/19.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
(It certainly wasn't worth saying twice....).

Last edited by Mesa; 07/01/19. Reason: delete double posting

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mesa
When it came to rifles, they beat the crap out of a rifle you couldn't afford. One of the many things I like about the Savage brand--value for money, including everyone.

True, several of my high school hunting buddies had Savage 340 series 30-30s.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ron did what he had to do to save the company.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My first centerfire rifle was a 340 in .30-30 and I killed my first deer with it. It was a relatively late model (340C as I recall, with pressed checkering). It went down the road sometime after I acquired a .270. I bought two of my boys 340s in .30-30 for their first deer rifles and a few years later stumbled onto an older one with a 22 inch barrel that I snapped up and carry in the PA woodlands from time to time. They've performed as well as several much more expensive rifles. I like them.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
So which gun would garner your most respect. A plain-Jane economy grade 340 that's actually killed game or a never bloodied top shelf highly engraved 99K? My vote goes to the 340.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Polecat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by S99VG
So which gun would garner your most respect. A plain-Jane economy grade 340 that's actually killed game or a never bloodied top shelf highly engraved 99K? My vote goes to the 340.

This is why I really like the 340s. Mine don't go in the safes with the other guns because of their low monetary value, makes them a lot easier to grab instead digging through a safe . One of them almost always goes the shooting bench when I'm shooting just for plinking during cool down time for the other rifle. I have a steel target 100yrds off of the porch that I use one of the 340s on for off hand practice all the time and of course they're easy access for garden pests and alike. I was on TC Encore kick until I found a nice 340 in 22 Hornet for half the price of a Encore barrel, that was the end of a switch barrel gun theory for me. Any way, I must have low standards but I have fun!

Lee

Last edited by Polecat; 07/02/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 340 was made to capture a particular target market.

In this regard it was very successful. Consumers then and collectors now that appreciate utility find them interesting. Collectors now that appreciate quality and craftsmanship do not. One of the interesting things to me about the history of Savage gun making is that they found a way to make a chair for every ass.

There ain't no wrong or right because we are all in it for different reasons.

Whatever is on the business end of the lead winds up just as dead regardless of what the owner paid for the rifle.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Polecat
Originally Posted by S99VG

This is why I really like the 340s. Mine don't go in the safes with the other guns because of their low monetary value, makes them a lot easier to grab instead digging through a safe . One of them almost always goes the shooting bench when I'm shooting just for plinking during cool down time for the other rifle. I have a steel target 100yrds off of the porch that I use one of the 340s on for off hand practice al the time and of coarse they're easy access for garden pests and alike. I was on TC Encore kick until I found a nice 340 in 22 Hornet for half the price of a Encore barrel, that was the end of a switch barrel gun theory for me. Any way, I must have low standards but I have fun!

Lee

If your Savage 340s give you a feeling of pride of ownership and they make you happy, isn't that all that matters?

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Don't know about the pride stuff but happy is pretty high on my scale. And sometimes finding the things that fall off most people's radar and go cheap raises the happy bar for me. I guess I'm different as I find the fancy factory guns nice to look at but it all pretty much ends there. Value isn't always a measure of a man's wallet.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

395 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 16penny, 12savage, 45 invisible), 2,798 guests, and 1,104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,580
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.