Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I know there are several shooting disciplines that have different requirements. This question may be too broad. I would like to know what scopes you are using on your rifles.

PLEASE! No flame wars! This isn't about what you perceive to be the best. Or to slam someone's choice of optics. There are many income levels, and while you might be able to afford a March, not everyone can. Please be respectful. It's just an equipment survey.

When I was in the service, I shot TR (irons) and F Class. If you are not familiar with these, please follow the link. F Class allowed scopes. The last rifle I used was a 308 Tikka T3 HB with a Bushnell 4200 6-24x50mm scope and bipod. https://ontariorifleassociation.ca/disciplines/f-class/

I was not a hardcore competitor. I was a service armourer.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
BP-B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have a VX-R 1.5X4.5 Leupold 30mm on my AR service rifle. I really like the March far and away, but this was on my upper when I received it. Optics are very good, but I trust no Leupold adjustmants.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Vortex Viper 1-4X for HP. It's OK, but March really is better.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used a T-16 Weaver for SB Silhouettes.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
So, for service rifle, is there a mix of scopes? Vortex, Bushnell, Leupold, etc. or does there seem to be one manufacturer that most competitors use?

I have never shot silhouette, just read about it. I'm guessing that it's difficult to steady a 16 power scope at longer ranges.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use a 12x Fecker, a 16x Unertl, and a 5x B series MVA for Schuetzen

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Steve,
In the early years of "F" class, guys were often getting by with BR scopes in the 24x range or with variables which topped out at the same level. This was before everyone had to have a Nightforce or be shunned. The problem, in many instances, was the limited elevation adjustment whichmage it difficult to move from 300 to 900m. I ended up making an elevation adjustable mount for the Variable 6-24 I was using.
On the silhouette range, most are using variables in the 6-24 range. I prefer scopes of around 16X and am using a Weaver KT15, a Weaver V6-24 (set at 15), a Leupold 12, and a Weaver T10. I tried a 20X leupold for a while; really liked it and shot well with it but I had issues with crossfiring due to the limited field of view (probably in combination with poor positioning) so I went back to the 15. I would dearly love to see someone make a fixed 16 with a decent length tube and a 3/4 minute dot. That would be my dream silhouette scope. The 20 is now on one of my TR-O rifles and I like it for that.
I have little doubt that the scopes which are priced in the thousands, rather than hundreds, are optically superior to my old stuff but my 70 year old eyes, even with the new lenses, aren't that clear anyway. GD

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Steve, the winners in Service Rifle use March and Nightforce.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
So, for service rifle, is there a mix of scopes? Vortex, Bushnell, Leupold, etc. or does there seem to be one manufacturer that most competitors use?
I don't know anyone using Bushnell, but a lot of people use the Vortex Viper 1-4x and various Leupolds. Army uses Nightforce and a lot of very serious competitors use the March (which, BTW, may still be on sale at 30% off). There aren't any other scopes I would recommend, except maybe a Trijicon 1-4X.

PM inbound, Steve.

Last edited by Tyrone; 07/03/19.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Interesting. I figured the expensive hardware would be in demand. Has anyone seen these? These are offered by Elcan.

https://armament.com/products/elcan

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Interesting. I figured the expensive hardware would be in demand. Has anyone seen these? These are offered by Elcan.

The 1x-4x would be legal in Service Rifle, but they do not offer a reticle that would work. In the same price range as a March. Haven't heard of anybody using one.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
That company is the main Cdn scope supplier (or was) when I was still in the service. It's definitely not a poor boy's game!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

The 1x-4x would be legal in Service Rifle, but they do not offer a reticle that would work. In the same price range as a March. Haven't heard of anybody using one.

What reticle is considered appropriate for Service Rifle?

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The reticle looks good to me.
The description says you can illuminate the entire crosshair or just the dot. There are a lot of guys successfully using crosshairs & dots.

If you wanted a SHTF gun and also play around at HP, I think the 1/4X would work fine. A lot of people using 1/2 MOA adjustments too. I even shot my PB at 600 with 1/2MOA adjustments. As Butch said though, strictly for the HP game, there are probably better scopes like the new Leupold SR and the Nightforce & March for similar money. The Leupy is cheaper with 1/4MOA, the NF costs about the same and offers 1/4MOA, the March is a little more and has 1/4MOA and adjustable parallax.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Paul39

What reticle is considered appropriate for Service Rifle?

With my eyes I have trouble with a 50yd target at 4X. My VX R Leupold has a cross hair, but has a circle in the middle with an illuminated dot. The circle corresponds with the circle on the target paper. With this setup I can easily sight it in with the 4.5X scope at 200yards. I do not shoot Service Rifle competition, so 200 yd zero is good for me.Mine has the Firedot Bull Ring reticle. https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/shop/accessories/scopes-rings-bases/4leupsr-bullringpost.html.
Everybody has different needs for their shooting. The reticle that I use is best for me.
Steve, my not being aware of that brand means nothing about them and their quality. I have just not run across one or know of anybody shooting them.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Butch, that combo makes a lot of sense.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
my Nightforce Target Scopes are 1/8 minute click adjustments and do work very well, in my area most guys use Nightforce scopes for FTR classes too.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I shoot mid range prone in the AR tactical class it's a provisional class started by the NRA last yr, we can use bipods and a rear tactical shooting bags. anyhow I run 10x swfa on one of my AR's. The other which I use for my service rifle has a 1-4 swfa on it. Scope was discontinued couple yrs back. This Tuesday we have a mid range prone shoot, I'm going to use my AR with the 1-4 and put bipod on it. I was running a 10x swfa on it.

Last edited by 79S; 07/05/19.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
...Steve, my not being aware of that brand means nothing about them and their quality. I have just not run across one or know of anybody shooting them.

I cannot really speak to their quality. For what they are charging though, it would have to be exceptional. I remember we had problems with the first generation Elcans, but that was a million years ago. They had problems with the early Hondas. smile

I am not really thinking about getting into any service rifle shoots. I was curious about those competitions and the present trends in equipment. I'm not changing the subject, but AR shoots are restricted to ranges in Canada. You cannot take them hunting or shoot them off your back porch (legally). Our present government was thinking about banning AR rifles because, well, they're evil, dontcha know? We have an election looming, and banning them would be a way to mine votes from the city folk.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
For run-and-gun AR competitions:
Vortex Viper PST 1-4
US Optics 1-6
NF NXS 1-8

Long range AR and Bolt gun comps in ascending order of pain:
Burris XTR II 5-25
Steiner T5Xi 3-15
Steiner T5Xi 5-25
NF ATACR 5-25
Schmidt 5-25

The top tier stuff is all good, of course. My personal favorite for value is the Steiner T5's. I have three of them, and if you shop a little bit you can find the 5-25's (for example) lightly used for $1,000. Steiner's warranty and service is excellent, so I buy used without a care in the world. They run my favorite reticle, and the tracking is rock solid now that they've worked through their issues.

I looked through the new Burris XTR III last weekend at a match. They are killer for $1,800.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

For 1000yd BR started with a 36 Weaver. Actually a very reliable scope I still have it and use it testing new rifles

12X42NF BR for 1000yd LT. gun

5.5 X 22 BR for 1000yd HG

60X March for short range score shooting and 600 yd BR

All great scopes.

Both NF scopes really got a workout as my son shared them in 1000y matches by shooting a different relay. Lotsa "clicking" never a problem.

Lefty

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I shoot F-TR Long Range with a custom bolt .308 Win. I currently use a March-X 5-50X56 with an MTR-5 reticle. The March-X replaced a Nightforce NXS 12-42-56 w/ NP2DD reticle because it has better glass to my eye at the same magnification. Also, the Nightforce is a porker and I saved a half-pound of weight which I placed in the barrel for better performance.

I've had the March for 5+ years and it's seen about 20,000 rounds go downrange. The scope is solid, the glass is great and the controls are reliable and repeatable.

I kept the NXS because it is a decent scope and repurposed it on another rifle. It will shortly be going on top of my .223 F-TR rifle.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
use the mounstrum 2nd and 3rd lr with fp 8-32x50 and 6-24x50

Retarded,Rich,Famous
Hunting,Target Shooting,Women
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've won several factory sporter class local club groundhog matches with a Sightron SIII 8X32X56 ran at the 24x limit on my Tikka .223 superlite. Shots were @ 1,2, and 300 yds. The custom guys shoot out to 400yds , and are mostly using Nightforce with a March or Valdada sprinkled in here and there.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Nikon X1000 6-24x X 50mm. Have three of them, love em. It's a shame they're discontinued as these scopes are a great value.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Guess I`m in the minority, run a straight 12 Mil SWFA. on my comp rifle. Any "problems" have been caused by me, not the scope.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
455 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 49 invisible), 2,012 guests, and 948 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,110
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.