Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
It lightly rained and thundered with a few blue flashes across the sky near all day yesterday, I didn't feel like volunteering for a pasture lightning rod out at my shooting table, so grabbed my 505 and headed to the shop with a bag of ammo.

Also loaded up 30 new sticks of brass I'd had for awhile, the new brass was loaded just like the ammo I brought out with me, 140grains of Retumbo pushes both the 600gr Woodleigh protected point soft and solids to a 2150 fps average, I had enough light to fire a couple each of the new and old over the chrono, I had forgot what a gentlemanly great big shove the recoil with that load produces.

Not fast and brutal, just a great big monstrous push, I was sitting on my butt firing off the inside of my left knee, make no mistake about it, when you fire you know you're in the presence of a big bore rifle, I loved it and had forgot how cool that cartridge is.

Went in the house to research it a bit more and was reminded George Gibbs developed it in 1911, is there any wonder I happen to have had a 1911 bobtail Commander 45 on my belt during all that? ; ]

I'll say it again, we have a hell of a cool hobby here, with a lot of rich history.

Trump Won!
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gunner500
It lightly rained and thundered with a few blue flashes across the sky near all day yesterday, I didn't feel like volunteering for a pasture lightning rod out at my shooting table, so grabbed my 505 and headed to the shop with a bag of ammo.

Also loaded up 30 new sticks of brass I'd had for awhile, the new brass was loaded just like the ammo I brought out with me, 140grains of Retumbo pushes both the 600gr Woodleigh protected point soft and solids to a 2150 fps average, I had enough light to fire a couple each of the new and old over the chrono, I had forgot what a gentlemanly great big shove the recoil with that load produces.

Not fast and brutal, just a great big monstrous push, I was sitting on my butt firing off the inside of my left knee, make no mistake about it, when you fire you know you're in the presence of a big bore rifle, I loved it and had forgot how cool that cartridge is.

Went in the house to research it a bit more and was reminded George Gibbs developed it in 1911, is there any wonder I happen to have had a 1911 bobtail Commander 45 on my belt during all that? ; ]

I'll say it again, we have a hell of a cool hobby here, with a lot of rich history.

You didn't tell the whole story. That your Gibbs is a rebored .416 Rigby that you had shot out....

Don't hear of many shot out big bores...

You a Hoss... cool

Sounds like that Gibbs recoils like a 500 NE. I shot one, a Merkel double, a few years back, helping a good bud getting ready for Africa. Just a big push. I felt I had full control, actually put two rounds into a small group off hand at 25 yds. Impressed myself. MUCH better than shooting a light weight .300 WM or Wby, for sure. Now, those can be brutal, big guns not so much.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yessir, that's my rebored Ruger RSM 416 Rigby, had a really cool Brit foo-foo 505 at one time, to nice to take out so sold it, this load, though not one you'd want to sit at a bench and fire 20 rounds for fun was indeed well mannered, having said that, this same rifle with 600 gr bullets and both imr and h 4350's as well as RL-22 and H-4831 running these bullets up to iirc a top speed of 2469 fps was pure brutality.

My little 500 Nitro is as well mannered, the 577, not so much, this load with 600gr Woodleighs at an easy 2150 fps would work on ANY game animal anywhere in the world, and yes I've heard about the Woodleigh solids turning in homemade test media, but never heard of 600gr Woodleighs turning in any animal, i'll use them with complete confidence if the need ever arises.

I had read some have taken the 600gr bullets in the 505 Gibbs up to 2600 fps and beyond, I see no need, the 2450 fps tests for me were to make sure the stock, new fl bedding job as well as the installation of new engraved cross bolts were all getting along as they should, this rifle has killed two scopes, it is now an express sight rifle only, I mean good grief, who needs a scope to shoot dumpsters at 25 yards!? grin

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by gunner500
Yessir, that's my rebored Ruger RSM 416 Rigby, had a really cool Brit foo-foo 505 at one time, to nice to take out so sold it, this load, though not one you'd want to sit at a bench and fire 20 rounds for fun was indeed well mannered, having said that, this same rifle with 600 gr bullets and both imr and h 4350's as well as RL-22 and H-4831 running these bullets up to iirc a top speed of 2469 fps was pure brutality.

My little 500 Nitro is as well mannered, the 577, not so much, this load with 600gr Woodleighs at an easy 2150 fps would work on ANY game animal anywhere in the world, and yes I've heard about the Woodleigh solids turning in homemade test media, but never heard of 600gr Woodleighs turning in any animal, i'll use them with complete confidence if the need ever arises.

I had read some have taken the 600gr bullets in the 505 Gibbs up to 2600 fps and beyond, I see no need, the 2450 fps tests for me were to make sure the stock, new fl bedding job as well as the installation of new engraved cross bolts were all getting along as they should, this rifle has killed two scopes, it is now an express sight rifle only, I mean good grief, who needs a scope to shoot dumpsters at 25 yards!? grin

113 grains RL-15 under a 600 grain out of my .500 A-Square will do the same. It isn't something that is fun. Now with the cast 575 grain bullets poking along at 1500fps, that is a kick and astonishingly accurate too.

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Better living through chemistry!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A fellow at the Safari Rifle Challenge in Montana was shooting a 505 Gibbs...

Big, strong guy, weightlifter type. Danged rifle rocked him hard every shot! He actually shot quite well with that beast of a rifle.

Guy

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Cascade
A fellow at the Safari Rifle Challenge in Montana was shooting a 505 Gibbs...

Big, strong guy, weightlifter type. Danged rifle rocked him hard every shot! He actually shot quite well with that beast of a rifle.

Guy

I know a guy like that.

DF

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I'll stick with my 416 Rem Jerry. Plenty. crazy

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Sounds like that Gibbs recoils like a 500 NE. I shot one, a Merkel double, a few years back, helping a good bud getting ready for Africa. Just a big push. I felt I had full control, actually put two rounds into a small group off hand at 25 yds. Impressed myself. MUCH better than shooting a light weight .300 WM or Wby, for sure. Now, those can be brutal, big guns not so much.

DF

The 505 Gibbs recoil is worse then the 500NE. I've got a Merkel 500NE double that is relatively comfortable to shoot, but a friend of mine has a 505Gibbs. Whenever I fired his Gibbs it felt like I'd been punched in the nose - nothing hit me in the nose but that' the sensation I got. Mind you my Merkel once let loose both barrels at the same time and that was worse then the 505Gibbs.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
M

DF

The 505 Gibbs recoil is worse then the 500NE. I've got a Merkel 500NE double that is relatively comfortable to shoot, but a friend of mine has a 505Gibbs. Whenever I fired his Gibbs it felt like I'd been punched in the nose - nothing hit me in the nose but that' the sensation I got. Mind you my Merkel once let loose both barrels at the same time and that was worse then the 505Gibbs.

I’ve heard about Merkels doubling. Not good.

DF

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yes, there was a design issue but mine doubled for some unknown reason - I'be got to chase up with Merkel but haven't gotten around to it. This issue is raised periodically on various forums and there's a recent thread on this forum.

Last edited by mauserand9mm; 07/04/19.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
TKK, that 500 a-square sounds like it will get it ll done too, 575's at 1500 sound like a fun hoot.

Cascade, 10-4 on the rocking, it will indeed, the good thing is one on the right spot shouldn't require many more, what a cannon indeed.

DF, LOL! grin

EdM, no flies on the 416, this 505 was indeed a 416 at one time, not much else I could do with it and still be able to keep the excellent integral express sights on the big magnum RSM's, the guy up at Delta Gun Shop/Clearwater Reboring done a hell of a job on the conversion.

Trump Won!
J
JCR Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I returned from a SA hunt the end of last May as posted in JJHACKs ‘Another great hunt opportunity’. My PH was not tall and on the light side. He carried a 505 Gibbs on a custom 1917 Enfield action. I made a comment after looking at the size of the round and he told me a story about tracking a wounded cape buffalo that charged him. He shot it in the forehead, but the 375 H&H solid deflected exiting the jaw. It got him on the ground and tossed him around till the other PH came back and shot it off of him. He then purchased the 505 Gibbs. He said the next time a buffalo charged, he shot it in the forehead and dropped it. One of the eyes had popped out and said the skull was mush, then showed me a picture on his phone. I said "damn... you got yourself a stopping rifle".
I shoot my 458 Lott without a problem but remember looking at his 505 Gibbs round with reservation.
His 505 Gibbs lion load pictured below in the Attached Files with a 470 Nitro Express and my 375 H&H.
Jim

Attached Images
P1010346 resized.JPG (74.55 KB, 433 downloads)
Last edited by JCR; 07/19/19.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Gunner’s gonna get all excited, seeing that big Gibbs round.

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gunner, you got a license to have that much fun?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Outlaws don't mess with licenses.... blush

laugh

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, you bet DD and DF, I have a lifetime license issued by the poor girl that agreed to marry me and NEVER give me any bullchit! so far so good! grin

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
And a girl who goes hunting with you, runs a Ford tractor with a Bush Hog.

You one lucky dude... cool

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
And a girl who goes hunting with you, runs a Ford tractor with a Bush Hog.

You one lucky dude... cool

DF

LOL, You and the Good Lord know that's true DF.

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
dam gunner round were we call that a [trophy] wife

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by 44mc
dam gunner round were we call that a [trophy] wife

Yessir, I'm a lucky sombuck 44. wink

Trump Won!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (2003and2013, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,500 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,135
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.