T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
What are you using?
Pros?
Cons?

336 shoots 4-5" left and 3-4" low. Buckhorn sights and my old eyes aren't great combination either.

Love the look of vernier. Not crazy about the cost. Research seems to indicate problems using on 336s.

Williams 5d is great sight.
Skinner looks awesome, probably my preferred choice.

Give me the lowdown

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My 336 and my 39A both wear Lyman aperture sights. Both were factory drilled and tapped for the sights (rear left side of the action), so they were easy to mount. If your 336 is drilled and tapped for scope mounts, the Skinner's look like they'd work fine. I've never owned one, so I can't comment otherwise. As an aside, my father's Winchester 94 (which I inherited when he passed away) also wears Lyman aperture sights and a Redfield Sourdough front sight blade.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
What are you looking for, what are your priorities? Don't assume that because a sight doesn't have glass in it that it's going to be cheaper than a scope. Quality and features come at a price.

You are probably going to want to stick with a sight that fits pre-drilled holes in the receiver or tang. Later 336s don't have the holes in the side of the receiver for an aperture sight. For those you'll need a top mounted sight like the Skinner.

Basically an aperture sight is just a hole to look through. If it allows for sighting in and stays solid, you can go with a simpler sight. The shooters with the greatest need for precise adjustment are the lever action silhouette shooters. Most of them use target type aperture sights. I have also seen tang sights like those on vintage single shots, Montana Vintage Arms or Hoke. Not cheap!

If your rifle is drilled and tapped for it, a Lyman or Marble tang sight might work for you. Otherwise a Skinner on top.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
1970 Centennial

Drilled on left side and on top.

Considering a scope, but more interested in the clean looks in having an aperture, or the vernier.

Peep works, because my old eyes don't focus on 3 planes.

OP is simply asking for users have, what they and don't like.

Most every statement I have seen, lists vernier sights as, flimsy, limited windage adjustment, or interference with bolt travel / removal. Some list ALL the problems.

This will be a working rifle; hunting, cowboy action. The sights must be rugged, yet traditional ( somewhat).

Looking for best bang for the buck, not just least expensive; and practical experience, real world opinion.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

I have 3 or 4 Montana Vintage sights, each on a Marlin rifle. They work and work well. They are not flimsy, however, all sights are delicate and should be treated with care. Cracking walnuts on your sight is not a good idea.

The only tang sight that I found that interfered with bolt travel was a Marbles. I would never buy another one, it needed modification to work on a Marlin Model 39. A call to Marbles got a "We don't care as long as we can sell them" A poor attitude for an old company.

Most tang sights that I have seen that give trouble were not correctly installed. Installation is critical and the front sight height is also important. I start with a half inch sourdough and file it down for sight-in.

Last edited by JBLEDSOE; 07/22/19.
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
All of my Marlins (a 336, a 39A and an 1894) have Lyman side mounted peep sights on them. I really like them. They work wonderfully well with the original factory front sight. I usually remove the buckhorn rear sight and insert a dovetail filler. When I do my part, I'm giving up very little using a peep to a low powered scope, except that I don't get quite as much time at the end of the day.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Remington40x is right on. He states it more clearly than I could.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (2500HD, 260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,319 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,651
Posts18,455,483
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.