Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I still think they are useful, but admittedly, don't use them now. I haven't used them in over 25yrs. I went to the 1.5x5 to replace my older 4xs, and 2x7 and 3x9 the one 6x42 I used awhile. I find that out West, "mirage" gives me a fit past 10-12X, even with an AO. But I "could" use a 4X the rest of my life and kill everything I "wanted" to kill.

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 07/04/19.
BP-B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
All the scopes I have are set at 6X nearly 85% of the time that I am in the field.

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Well, I’m odd man out.

I don’t own ONE fixed power scope. It’s been so long since I had a fixed power,
I can’t remember.

When you hunt an area with point restrictions, say 3 points or 4 points on one side
Fixed power scopes are a liability to you at longer range.

Normally my scopes are set at 6 or 8 X and I have the option of Higer power when needed.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hunted with straight fours until I got my first 1.5-4.5x20mm Weaver V-4.5. You couldn't get me to go back to a fixed 4x or 6x. Most of mine have 1-4x20 or 1.5-6x40mm scopes on them and rarely get off the bottom. It is nice to have 4x or 6x on the top end to work up loads and if for some chance a coyote hangs up out there a ways. I do have a fixed 1.5x on a drilling for big game up in the forests.

[Linked Image]

I call coyotes in up to five states each year and never felt under scoped.

Last edited by erich; 07/03/19.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A person needs to decide if he wants a sight or an optical entertainment center.

Bruce

IC B2

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Meopta 6x42mm has become a favorite of mine. I have several, all with the #4 reticle.
Bob

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have some of each - a couple of 4x, a couple of 6x, and several variables from 1.5-6 to 3-9. I did have a 4-12 for a while but didn't find much need for the extra magnification for my purposes.

A 4x would do for most of my hunting, but I do agree with erich on the advantages of a low-range variable on a drilling - I have a 1.5-6 on mine, which allows me to easily use the shotgun as a shotgun should be used, shooting birds and running game with both eyes open, looking through and ignoring the scope, while having that ability to wind up a bit for a longer shot with the rifle barrel.

Being able to wind on a bit more magnification also can come in handy on other rifles, especially on smaller game, if you have the time and the shot's a long one. For walking up pigs or deer though, I almost always either have a 4x or a variable set on the low end, and that does me fine. I also think a 4x is ideal on a .22 for rabbits.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the Leupold 6x36 scopes. I have three on my 7x57, 7x64 and .257 AI. I have a 4x33 on my 9.3x62. I like the fact that I just go hunting and don't have to worry about adjusting the power ring. Simples.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
69% of my rifles have metallic sights of one description or another, 22% have a fixed power scope, and only 9% have a variable scope.

The three I use most for hunting have a 6x42, 4x33, and a 3-9x40 that I just leave on 6X.

The high number of metallic sights is due to lever action and milsurp rifles.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Bought a CZ 611 22Mag last week and I had a Leupold 6x36 laying about so I put them together. Seems like the pair will be a good match. I've got fixed 6x42's on Kimber Montana's in 243Win and 7-08Rem as well and again, they seem to do what needs doing. I've killed coyotes with both rifles out a bit past 400yds and shot both on steel out to 600. As someone else stated, not what I'd want for F-Class but on a hunting rifle they work pretty well for me. I use far more variable scopes than I do fixed, but, I almost always carry them on their lowest setting and end up shooting game at those lower setting far more often than the highest settings.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have a number of 4X and 6X scopes and still find them quite useful. I'm not a follower of the sniper fad and can't imagine taking a game shot beyond 400 yards, regardless of scope magnification. Several years ago, I did some comparison group shooting at 300 yards using the same .308 rifle, switching scopes from a 6X to a 10X. I fired 4, 5-shot groups; 10X group average was 2 1/4", 6X was 3 1/8", not much difference.

I use some variables for hunting, mostly 2.5X-8X Leupolds, but leave the magnification at the 8X setting from when the rifle was zeroed. I've seldom found a need to alter the adjustment in the field regardless of range.

While there are certainly legitimate uses for high magnification scopes, many of us don't have such a need. A lot of younger shooters and hunters seem to know nothing about lower-magnification fixed power scopes. It seems that many today think lots of scope power and light triggers make up for a lack of shooting skill.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have fixed power 4s on a couple .22s, a .30-30, a crossbow, and a revolver.

Nothing wrong with them. For deer and other big game I prefer a 3-9. And use it often.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

No fixed power scopes on my rifles all are variable.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bcp
A person needs to decide if he wants a sight or an optical entertainment center.

Bruce

Well..... TRY to find a 3 rd point on one side of this 6 pt, 178 lb. buck with 17 1/2" INSIDE spread WITH a fixed 4 or 6 power AT 300 PLUS yds.

[Linked Image]

I did after a few minutes at 12 X .

S M H

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All but one of my 20 or so scopes are fixed powers...the vast majority of which are either 4X or 6X. For deer and elk sized critters up to 600 yards, I haven't seen the need for anything else.

Unless I get into a S&B PMII, I am done with variables. They simply have not been reliable for me, of any brand or model that I have tried.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by bcp

Bruce

Well..... TRY to find a 3 rd point on one side of this 6 pt, 178 lb. buck with 17 1/2" INSIDE spread WITH a fixed 4 or 6 power AT 300 PLUS yds.

[Linked Image]

S M H

Jerry

Jerry, do you carry binos? Just curious.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by bcp

Bruce

[Linked Image]

S M H

Jerry

I hear you, it was the same in East, Texas. I think more people out West use Binoculars than any other. Since whitetails can be patterned, people use blinds/towers, tree stands. I "tried" to use binocs in the South ( I do now as I am more used to them and even then sparingly) but the deer were so fleeting, the openings small (no big fields where we hunted), by the time you saw it was legal, picked up the rifle and tried to get a shot, he was gone! So, the "2nd" buck I even shot with a scoped rifle was (a) my longest at 276 long steps down a pipeline (b) I couldn't tell what sex it was until I cranked my scope up to 9x ( he was feeding across the ROW pretty fast, literally "just grabbing a bite" ha) the instant I saw horns, I touched it off. I had trained myself to get used to the scope hunting squirrels with it on my .22 same way. I'd keep it on 3-4x and if they were higher up a big pine, crank it up to 9x and "snipe him". What a hoot, it still is. So, for me, I have always done the same thing, if I "have time", I crank it up. If I don't he either gets shot (or at) with the lower power or passed. Entertainment, sure, but never, ever "scope out" another human. Ever. So, no, it does not take the place/use of binocs, but a binocular is no more a gunsight than a scope is a binocular. Right?

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 07/04/19.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Binos are of limited usefulness where I hunt because the cover is so close; even a stand on the edge of what passes for a clearing is surrounded or backed by trees, brush etc where a deer may approach unseen. Any movement can get you busted, even the slight lifting of one's head in reaction to a sound (as I found out last year!). I usually carry them, but mostly limit their use to verifying stuff rather than looking for it.

Have 2.5, 4, 6, and 8x scopes, but mostly use mid-range variables set on low in the woods. The dearth of good new fixed-power hunting scopes is one reason, but also that 2-7s are similar in size and weight, and often have generous adjustment ranges to boot. The Leupold 2-7s used to be my standard, but now I'll buy honest goods that meet my requirements at a fair price from anybody.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by T_Inman
[quote=jwall]

Jerry, do you carry binos? Just curious.

Yes, 8 X 20........... not as effective and more bulk and weight to tote.

That uses MORE time when you already have 12 X available.

Jim Knight ---- Ditto

Pappy 348.....Ditto

My variables have been VERY dependable. I have 3 (THREE) I STILL use that are @ 30 yrs. old.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
Originally Posted by bcp

Bruce

[Linked Image]

S M H

Jerry

I hear you, it was the same in East, Texas. I think more people out West use Binoculars than any other. Since whitetails can be patterned, people use blinds/towers, tree stands. I "tried" to use binocs in the South ( I do now as I am more used to them and even then sparingly) but the deer were so fleeting, the openings small (no big fields where we hunted), by the time you saw it was legal, picked up the rifle and tried to get a shot, he was gone! So, the "2nd" buck I even shot with a scoped rifle was (a) my longest at 276 long steps down a pipeline (b) I couldn't tell what sex it was until I cranked my scope up to 9x ( he was feeding across the ROW pretty fast, literally "just grabbing a bite" ha) the instant I saw horns, I touched it off. I had trained myself to get used to the scope hunting squirrels with it on my .22 same way. I'd keep it on 3-4x and if they were higher up a big pine, crank it up to 9x and "snipe him". What a hoot, it still is. So, for me, I have always done the same thing, if I "have time", I crank it up. If I don't he either gets shot (or at) with the lower power or passed. Entertainment, sure, but never, ever "scope out" another human. Ever. So, no, it does not take the place/use of binocs, but a binocular is no more a gunsight than a scope is a binocular. Right?

Yep, once a deer is spotted where I hunt you better be in the scope and ready to shoot as soon as you know it’s a legal buck or the opportunity is lost.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
825 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 12308300, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 007FJ, 86 invisible), 3,245 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,186
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.