Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bludog
Chill out - coons are terrible pests, as are possums.
The hypocricy here is so thick you can cut it with a knife.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My hunting partner raises corn to sell at the local farmers market along with other produce. He finally resorted to electric fence netting to keep them out. It seems work although it's kind of expensive initially. It only has to be about knee high to stop them so it's easy to step over. They just unplug it when they're working in there.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CRS
Originally Posted by Blackheart
If it's "technically" illegal then "technically" you're a poacher. Plain and fuggin simple. Not that I might not do the same mind you but all the old hypocrites here seem to just hate poachers. Unless they're poaching the right critter for the right reason that is.

In SD you can defend your property.

Same way In Kentucky. Blackheart is most likely someone who doesn't own any property, and likes to tell other people what to do with theirs.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

If my defending my garden against non-game animals makes me a hypocrite in your eyes, so be it.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Were you always this miserable or do you take lessons?

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by wagner
Kinda funny seeing this thread....just looked out the window and it looks like the neighbor just caught #10 for the summer.

They attempt to get in the hummingbird feeders...he drives them 4 miles or so and let’s them go..ain’t the killin type.

Funny story, I was looking at his trap one day and noticed there was yellow paint across the top of the trap, I said “Ron why did you paint the top yellow” he responded, “well I put a yellow stripe down the coons back to see if they come back to the trap. One ain’t come back yet”,...l just laugh

Update, a second glance showed that there is two in the same trap!

Are you part of the problem or part of the solution?
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
My wife’s paternal grandparents lived in Lake of the Ozarks years ago. Their neighbor got tired of his garbage cans being raided. He decided to put up an electric fence. He strung wire waist size to a coon around the back yard. Put a plug on it and plugged it right into the porch outlet. Obviously no farming experience there. Next morning there were three dead coons on the back yard, poached and prepared by a poacher. I believe that he solved his coon problem quickly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got rabbits eating my garden. Damn things destroy a whole row of lettuce in a couple of days.

Last edited by mtnsnake; 07/04/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I need to get me some of those coon cuffs!

Good job!

Traps Usa

Cheapest I’ve found. USA made. $112 / dz.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
jWe were working on the pivot on Tuesday, and by the time we were done, my dog had brought us three fresh baby coons.

I love that dog!

He doesn't seem to care for the big ones, or the big tom cats, for some reason, though...... wink

We always have some coons around, but you've got to keep them under control or you won't have any game birds at all. He got this litter out of a creek bottom, and when we cut the hay on both sides, all we found was two pheasant nests. Normally we have at least five or six. Draw your own conclusions.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I catch them, shoot them, they are worse than rats!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If it's "technically" illegal then "technically" you're a poacher. Plain and fuggin simple. Not that I might not do the same mind you but all the old hypocrites here seem to just hate poachers. Unless they're poaching the right critter for the right reason that is.

Technically, most states allow for nuisance animals to be taken out year round.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I don't know of any state that makes it illegal to get rid of non game pest animals destroying personal property .

If coon/rat/tree-rat/hog/possum/crow is eating the corn i put out without my permission i can shoot them legally .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

And happy Independence day to you too.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JamesJr
UPDATE...........we had a inch and a half of rain last night, and when I went out to the garden this morning, there were fresh coon tracks going into the corn, so the thief had a brother, or wife, or cousin. Apparently the electricity went off sometimes during the storm, because the radio had quit playing. The thing is, they are walking right past a live trap baited with canned cat food and marshmallows, as well as a dogproof trap. I guess the sweet corn is more of an attractant than anything else I'm using. One year I strung an electric fence wire about 6 inches off the ground, and that stopped them.

Did I forget to mention, that I hate a frigging coon.

LITTLE DEBBIE HONEY BUNS

Stop being a wabigoon and pretending youre not seeing this.

For the 11th fuggin time, coons raiding sweet corn are on a carb kick, they don't give a nod to sardines or catfood. They ain't craving protien.

Have to use something more powerful than the sweet corn.

Might need a hav-a-hart box trap to contain the sticky bun.

[Linked Image][url

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
where i live it's just above the coon zone. too many wolves, cats, and coyotes i guess. have only seen 1 coon here in 25 years.
but for skunks that move in under the garden shed i put a ipod player out there LOUD with it looped on one rap song that got on the player by mistake. drives them out in one night!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Here in Tennessee, people who stick their noses into other people's business end up with a flat nose. I'll bet Blackheart's nose is about three inches wide and a half inch tall!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slumlord
UPDATE...........we had a inch and a half of rain last night, and when I went out to the garden this morning, there were fresh coon tracks going into the corn, so the thief had a brother, or wife, or cousin. Apparently the electricity went off sometimes during the storm, because the radio had quit playing. The thing is, they are walking right past a live trap baited with canned cat food and marshmallows, as well as a dogproof trap. I guess the sweet corn is more of an attractant than anything else I'm using. One year I strung an electric fence wire about 6 inches off the ground, and that stopped them.

Did I forget to mention, that I hate a frigging coon.

LITTLE DEBBIE HONEY BUNS

Stop being a wabigoon and pretending youre not seeing this.

For the 11th fuggin time, coons raiding sweet corn are on a carb kick, they don't give a nod to sardines or catfood. They ain't craving protien.

Have to use something more powerful than the sweet corn.

My 94 year old mother swears by honey buns as bait. Catches 2 or 3 a year trying to get into just a couple rows of corn in her garden.

[Linked Image][url

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Two weeks ago, a coon started eating my sweet corn, so I set out 2 live traps and 4 dogproof traps in and around the garden. It didn't stop the corn thief. I tried different baits, and again, nothing worked. I finally ran an extension cord to the garden, and put a radio down there, and that seemed to pretty much keep it away. But, I was still seeing tracks around close, so I knew the thief was still checking the corn out, and as most people know, a coon will ruin a sweet corn patch in short time.

Yesterday morning I finally got him in a trap down by the creek. I "relocated" the coon. [Linked Image].

He’s a good boy, ain’t never been any trouble.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Two weeks ago, a coon started eating my sweet corn, so I set out 2 live traps and 4 dogproof traps in and around the garden. It didn't stop the corn thief. I tried different baits, and again, nothing worked. I finally ran an extension cord to the garden, and put a radio down there, and that seemed to pretty much keep it away. But, I was still seeing tracks around close, so I knew the thief was still checking the corn out, and as most people know, a coon will ruin a sweet corn patch in short time.

Yesterday morning I finally got him in a trap down by the creek. I "relocated" the coon. [Linked Image].

He’s a good boy, ain’t never been any trouble.

Just getting his life together gat uh baby on the way , leave behind fie kidz .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 10gaugemag, 11 invisible), 1,401 guests, and 752 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,672
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.