Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
They are persistent little thieves not easily deterred.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by CRS
If it's "technically" illegal then "technically" you're a poacher. Plain and fuggin simple. Not that I might not do the same mind you but all the old hypocrites here seem to just hate poachers. Unless they're poaching the right critter for the right reason that is.

In SD you can defend your property.
He ain't in South Dakota and admits that he's "technically" breaking the law. I guess it's ok for certain people to break certain laws under certain circumstances though ?

All of us do, and you are lying if you say you don’t. Some laws are practical, others are forced upon the people againt their will, and just plain dumb.
In San Francisco now plastic straws are illegal, but they hand out plastic syringes my the thousands. Guess which one you saw more of down in the sand..before they outlawed straws?
So I can give two schitts about respecting idiotic laws, crafted by idiots with agendas, that doesn’t mean I condone theft does it?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For those who release, can you pull them along with that trap, into the back of a truck, then release at a new location, or do you have to handle an adult raccoon full of venance?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Barkoff
For those who release, can you pull them along with that trap, then release at a new location, or do you have to handle an adult raccoon full of venance?

I've had that out of a livetrap before... wink

Didn't last long though. I tranquilized him. whistle

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
For those who release, can you pull them along with that trap, then release at a new location, or do you have to handle an adult raccoon full of venance?

In Tn it's prohibited to relocate nuisance game animals. It's PERFECTLY OK to kill nuisance small game animals damaging property. No permit needed.

For big game problems like deer in a garden, our TWRA wardens desire that you contact them before proceeding. Almost always they will either give you verbal ok over the phone or issue a permit.

As for "releasing". I have a Hav-A-Hart brand live cage trap. Several actually.
One you just flip the whole cage over and the door opens by gravity. Anothe couple of traps I have you sort of have to get your fingers close to the mechanism. Those are never fun.
Especially with an amped up sow coon.

Easier to just give them the Pol Pot treatment thru the wire before even touching the trap.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
If it's "technically" illegal then "technically" you're a poacher. Plain and fuggin simple. Not that I might not do the same mind you but all the old hypocrites here seem to just hate poachers. Unless they're poaching the right critter for the right reason that is.

Technically, most states allow for nuisance animals to be taken out year round.
Apparently Jamesjr's state does not and neither does NY. Deer have been far worse pests to me here than coons or anything else. If I just shot them any time because they're damaging/destroying my apple trees I'd be considered a poacher and prosecuted for it if caught, even though they've cost me a fortune in damaged/destroyed trees and fencing to keep them out.. The holier than thou hypocrites here would label me a poacher and outlaw for it without a doubt. You can get nuisance permits to kill them out of season here but only if you're a commercial farmer {which I'm not} and the process requires a visit/survey of the damage by a DEC game biologist and approval by same before a permit will be issued. Even then it isn't up to you how many can be killed. The biologist will determine if you have a legitimate problem, how many can be killed and will issue permits for that number.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's been mentioned several times already but raccoons hate radios and music. A neighbor had a 'coon litter born in her storage shed that was attached to the house. She didn't want 'em killed but wanted them gone. I had her put a radio out there and left it on, it was a talk radio station. Day or two later I saw the mama carrying the babies over to the nearby woods in broad daylight in the afternoon. About the time Rush Limbaugh was on that station. I guess raccoons don't like Rush, and they never came back.

JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Apparently Jamesjr's state does not and neither does NY. Deer have been far worse pests to me here than coons or anything else. If I just shot them any time because they're damaging/destroying my apple trees I'd be considered a poacher and prosecuted for it if caught, even though they've cost me a fortune in damaged/destroyed trees and fencing to keep them out.. The holier than thou hypocrites here would label me a poacher and outlaw for it without a doubt. You can get nuisance permits to kill them out of season here but only if you're a commercial farmer {which I'm not} and the process requires a visit/survey of the damage by a DEC game biologist and approval by same before a permit will be issued. Even then it isn't up to you how many can be killed. The biologist will determine if you have a legitimate problem, how many can be killed and will issue permits for that number.

It's obvious you know very little about Kentucky. We're not a Yankee Liberal state where animals have more rights than humans......and that includes some human animals too. I watch the North Woods Law game warden shows from New Hampshire and Maine, and I feel sorry for those people having to deal with the stupid laws.

This is the South, and we look at things differently down here, especially when it comes to animals harming your property. We can actually shoot them, regardless of the time of year.....which is exactly what I did to the corn thief, just about 20 seconds after I took the picture. If, by chance, I lived in a state that did not allow to me kill animals that were a nuisance, I'd still do it, only I'd practice the 3 S's....shoot, shovel, and shutup.

JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by JamesJr
UPDATE...........we had a inch and a half of rain last night, and when I went out to the garden this morning, there were fresh coon tracks going into the corn, so the thief had a brother, or wife, or cousin. Apparently the electricity went off sometimes during the storm, because the radio had quit playing. The thing is, they are walking right past a live trap baited with canned cat food and marshmallows, as well as a dogproof trap. I guess the sweet corn is more of an attractant than anything else I'm using. One year I strung an electric fence wire about 6 inches off the ground, and that stopped them.

Did I forget to mention, that I hate a frigging coon.

LITTLE DEBBIE HONEY BUNS

Stop being a wabigoon and pretending youre not seeing this.

For the 11th fuggin time, coons raiding sweet corn are on a carb kick, they don't give a nod to sardines or catfood. They ain't craving protien.

Have to use something more powerful than the sweet corn.

Might need a hav-a-hart box trap to contain the sticky bun.

[Linked Image][url

Haven't been ignoring your advice, just have been using what I have on hand, and what usually works for me. If it weren't for my dog and cat, I'd do the Coke-fly spray thing. I'll get some honey buns and try them. The biggest problem has been the constant rain the past few weeks, and how it keeps messing up the bait.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Two weeks ago, a coon started eating my sweet corn, so I set out 2 live traps and 4 dogproof traps in and around the garden. It didn't stop the corn thief. I tried different baits, and again, nothing worked. I finally ran an extension cord to the garden, and put a radio down there, and that seemed to pretty much keep it away. But, I was still seeing tracks around close, so I knew the thief was still checking the corn out, and as most people know, a coon will ruin a sweet corn patch in short time.

Yesterday morning I finally got him in a trap down by the creek. I "relocated" the coon. [Linked Image].

He’s a good boy, ain’t never been any trouble.

Hahaha!!!
Didin du nuffin....

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by renegade50
Two weeks ago, a coon started eating my sweet corn, so I set out 2 live traps and 4 dogproof traps in and around the garden. It didn't stop the corn thief. I tried different baits, and again, nothing worked. I finally ran an extension cord to the garden, and put a radio down there, and that seemed to pretty much keep it away. But, I was still seeing tracks around close, so I knew the thief was still checking the corn out, and as most people know, a coon will ruin a sweet corn patch in short time.

Yesterday morning I finally got him in a trap down by the creek. I "relocated" the coon. [Linked Image].

He’s a good boy, ain’t never been any trouble.

Hahaha!!!
Didin du nuffin....

Guess that's why they're called coons!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I had a lady watching me clean fish out in my shop the other day—she noticed my jab stick and asked what it was. I explained that the foreshots off my whiskey still is mostly acetone—or you could use women’s fingernail polish remover too. You fill up this little hypodermic needle on the end of it and you jab a skunk in a live trap right behind the front leg with it. She actually asked me what’s it do to ‘em. I told it tranquilizer them so good they wont spray and then they can be relocated out in the bush where they can spend their lives happy and contented. She looked at me real funny like—i told her the truth—it works on bears too.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

It's obvious you know very little about Kentucky. We're not a Yankee Liberal state where animals have more rights than humans......and that includes some human animals too. I watch the North Woods Law game warden shows from New Hampshire and Maine, and I feel sorry for those people having to deal with the stupid laws.

This is the South, and we look at things differently down here, especially when it comes to animals harming your property. We can actually shoot them, regardless of the time of year.....which is exactly what I did to the corn thief, just about 20 seconds after I took the picture. If, by chance, I lived in a state that did not allow to me kill animals that were a nuisance, I'd still do it, only I'd practice the 3 S's....shoot, shovel, and shutup.

\Not to defend Blackheart, but I'm a bit confused. (Because I live in Cali? blush )

James, if it's OK to deal with the racoon the way you did, then why in your original post did you mention it being "technically illegal" I think is the way you put it?

If one is allowed to euthanize animal pests then it's really not illegal. Unless perhaps your method of leaving traps out year round is not an approved method of dealing with those pests?

As I said, I'm confused a bit, either it's illegal or it's not.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
See below taken directly from the Missouri Dept of Conservation website, which I would suspect, but do not know, is probably similar to most other states in "flyover country"::

After you trap a damage-causing animal, you must dispose of it properly. Although relocation may seem like a good idea, we do not recommend it. Moving an animal can spread disease. Also, a strange animal coming into an established local population of the same species (a strange, disoriented squirrel coming into an established community of squirrels, for example) can upset the local group’s social order and possibly its health. Further, a relocated animal does not know where to find food or other resources and may likely starve to death. Finally, moving the animal might simply create a problem for someone else at the new location. You should also know that most federal, state, and local agencies prohibit the release of wildlife on lands they own or manage (including Department properties). For these reasons, we recommend killing the animal.

Just following the rules, man. Just following the rules.

Last edited by bludog; 07/04/19.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by renegade50

Yes, this one was "medievalized"

[Linked Image]

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad

\Not to defend Blackheart, but I'm a bit confused. (Because I live in Cali? blush )

James, if it's OK to deal with the racoon the way you did, then why in your original post did you mention it being "technically illegal" I think is the way you put it?

If one is allowed to euthanize animal pests then it's really not illegal. Unless perhaps your method of leaving traps out year round is not an approved method of dealing with those pests?

As I said, I'm confused a bit, either it's illegal or it's not.

Geno

Okay, my original post says that "technically"........meaning that the law might frown on keeping a baited trap set out when it's not trapping season. Kentucky law states that as a landowner, I can remove a nuisance animal through trapping or shooting, however, I suppose that some game wardens might view it overkill to have half a dozen traps set out. Technically, I'm targeting just about any coon that comes close by, but I'm not really concerned about the technicalities of the law, I'm just concerned about keeping them out of my sweet corn.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

I "relocated" the coon.

LMAO.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You know coons are eating your corn, I'd doubt most conservation agents would bat an eye at what you're doing. At least not around here. Coons are crazy in this state. Some of our state parks campgrounds are getting over-run with the nasty critters.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Okay, my original post says that "technically"........meaning that the law might frown on keeping a baited trap set out when it's not trapping season. Kentucky law states that as a landowner, I can remove a nuisance animal through trapping or shooting, however, I suppose that some game wardens might view it overkill to have half a dozen traps set out. Technically, I'm targeting just about any coon that comes close by, but I'm not really concerned about the technicalities of the law, I'm just concerned about keeping them out of my sweet corn.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I'd certainly hope that in your rural area the wardens would be understanding types and not searching for "technicalities".

And technically (in my mind at least) , any raccoon seen around a corn patch is a "nuisance", right?

Geno

In it is contentment

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 10ring1, 70 invisible), 3,034 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,337
Posts18,468,690
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.