-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They were made for the once a year deer hunter who didn't shoot much. I bought a real early .308 carbine with the grooved forearm and mine worked fine. That 18.5" barrel was a little loud, but sure a good one for climbing into a tree stand. Remington made a special dog leg brass brush for cleaning the cambers because that and not keeping them clean were the major issues with jamming. The semi-auto fit the driven and running deer crowded woods type hunting that I experienced growing up, but things have changed at least where I hunt, so the 742 is gone. It isn't a rifle for the purest, but they fit a niche and I liked mine better that an earlier Winchester M100 carbine or dad's Browning BAR.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The one good thing about PA's "manually operated centerfire rifles only" law is it spared us here the grief of having to deal with these rifles.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I know a couple of gunsmiths who won't work on them

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I lot of what I read also was some used the damn thing like an AR, just rapid fire shooting and tearing em up. Seems like it and the browning Bar auto were made for a specific purpose, meat hunting. When I get back from atlanta, I'll try and send some rounds down range. I bet he didn't put 5 boxes through it. If he killed 1 or 2, put it up in closest.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I had one briefly and never had any issues with mine. But they "earned" the reputation as "jam-o-matics" for a reason. Most work OK if kept clean and only used with factory loads. Handloads, even milder loads start to cause problems. They certainly aren't intended for high volume shooters.

But even if they were 100% reliable I can't think of a single reason to buy one. If someone gave me one with family history I'd keep it, but wouldn't hunt with it.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They were the junky cousin of the fine Remington 760. Very thankful we only had the 760's around here and we had a plethora of those.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A guy I know from Minnesota was out here in Wyoming antelope hunting saw our bipods and wanted an adapter to put a Harris bipod on his Remington 742. He took the rifle into a gunsmith here and the 'smith chuckled and said...Oh, you have one of those "Colorado Magnums". I never saw one brought out here to hunt goats with that didn't jamb.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
i inherited my dad`s very old Remington 740 -280 Rem. ,it doesn`t jam and its not that accurate ,but its kinda special because when i went with my Dad at 10 years old that old gun was better in my young eyes than a 30-30 i had to use in those days.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Killed my first of alotta things with one in Carbine '06,wearing a 'Cutt's.

Easy pass................(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Contact Redneck here on the forum. He dies a lot of 742 work. Even some full colustom builds on them great guy to deal with
Yeah, right... laugh laugh laugh

Originally Posted by Jericho
I know a couple of gunsmiths who won't work on them
Make that three... smile

Originally Posted by ERK
Please don’t tell the millions of deer killed with these about them not working. Or the moose. They will get very upset knowing they should still be alive. Ed k
Well, yeah, as long as that first shot kills - 'cause you won't get a second one off 90% of the time... smile

Originally Posted by JMR40
.......... they "earned" the reputation as "jam-o-matics" for a reason. Most work OK if kept clean and only used with factory loads. Handloads, even milder loads start to cause problems. They certainly aren't intended for high volume shooters.

But even if they were 100% reliable I can't think of a single reason to buy one.
Spare parts for another one? laugh laugh
If someone gave me one with family history I'd keep it, but wouldn't hunt with it.
I wouldn't accept one if it WAS given to me....

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It'll likely work just fine for you.....until it doesn't. smile

There's no question they have indeed accounted for a lot of game.
But growing up in the upper midwest, it seemed there was always at least one guy in our hunting circle(s) that had an issue during the season with a firearm not making boom, or jamming, or xxxxxxxxx. Without exception, it was always one of those flippin' 742's. Many of them operated as single shots for the majority of the season because the headstrong users didn't want to use someone else's deer rifle or couldn't possibly hunt deer without see-through mounts (which were/are synonymous with the 742). laugh laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Oh Lord...those "See Through Mounts". I "watched" some of our group try them when they finally began to even mount scopes! Around the campfire, 4-5 deep in a 6-pack, tales of how "perfect" the set up was. I never once, not once, knew of anyone who ever used the advantage!. They usually just shot at and missed ( contrary to Folk Lore and themselves telling you-Texans are NOT all born Great Shots, ha!) Seems they could never keep the scope sighted in ( that meant a hit anywhere on a paper plate at 50-75 yds btw) Now, these were men 30-40 years older than me, and I was raised to respect my elders. I "tried" to help them, but they "knew it all", especially around the other old phartz. I just made sure I hunted on a different part of the lease from them. There was one old guy, a good friend/neighboring camp of my dad's camp, who used a Mod 742 6mm Remington. Iron sights only, and it never jammed that I saw or heard of. He "might" spray it with WD-40 and wipe it out of the action and drop the trigger groups, wipe it down. Never the bore. When it was "shot out" he sold it to a mutual friend who took it to a good gunsmith in Houston. He cleaned it well, got all the old fouling out of the bore and it returned to shooting 1 1/2" groups ( Remington 100gr factory corlokts) I knew this because I had shot it some myself "before" the old gent had "shot out the barrel/he was very proud of that fact! ha) I have two BILs who have used them for decades, one in .308 and another in 6mm Remington. "Maybe" there are more reliable 742s with the shorter chambered rounds. I only know that I never heard of one of "them" being a jammomatic, like the one I got from my uncle in 30-06. I knew just a bunch of 30-06 Mod 742 users who had complaints. Now, later inlife, I bought a Model Four ( a fancy Mod 7400) in .270Win and it was both a shooter (130gr) and reliable. My uncles wife ( he had been widowed at 42, remarried a few years later) Anyhow, I had left it down in Texas at my dads ( so I would always have a rifle down there when I travelled) she saw it and liked it, so sold it to her for a song. I guess its still going with her son now. I had a Mod 750 35 Whelen that was also reliable, as mentioned. So, yes, they are a gamble, but still a nice handling rifle, to me. I really only "trust" one type of semi-auto, a good Garand and an M1A. Have hunted with both and never had an issue. But neither handled like the 'svelte" Mod 742/7400/7600! ha

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 07/06/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sooo... I’m guessing you all would not be impressed with the old 740 that my dad bought in the ‘50s. He loved that rifle and named it ”Lightnin”, not because it was fast but because it “never hit the same place twice”.

I recently recently got it out and loaded some 180RNs. Thinking it might be fun on a sounder of hogs.

No, it doesn’t have see through mounts :-)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by southtexas
He loved that rifle and named it ”Lightnin”, not because it was fast but because it “never hit the same place twice”.

laugh laugh laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by SKane
He loved that rifle and named it ”Lightnin”, not because it was fast but because it “never hit the same place twice”.

laugh laugh laugh

Now that is a goodun'. ! smile

"Works good until it doesn't" was the case with my brother's rifle. He probably didn't put a box of shells through it per year, either. After several years of "works good" on his northern Idaho elk hunt, it all went to hell.

I will say that when I was exploring the problem, the first shot always went the same place; subsequent shots, as stated, went elsewhere, about 6 inches away in about 3 inch patterns. Never jammed tho.

Not exactly the ideal gun for elk hunting 30 miles deep in the Middle Fork of the Salmon wilderness area.

Boy, is that nice country - I went with him, and 6 other guys once. Good times.

Last edited by las; 07/05/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by SKane

laugh laugh laugh

Now that's funny. Ha

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
If you want a really good 742 just have an engraver put "Remington 742" on the slab side of a BAR and all is good.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A brother on law gave me one years ago. Mine is a 1776-1976 Bi Centennial edition in .30-06. With 150 grain Federal SP ammo, it has been a solid performer. Many clean kills on hogs, and a few deer. I have a vintage Redfield TV scope on it.

Sam......

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
If you live near a river with a bridge......deposit it at the bottom thereof!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Killed my first of alotta things with one in Carbine '06,wearing a 'Cutt's.

Easy pass................(grin)

“Wearing a Cutts”

Laughing + ++++++P

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

648 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 61 invisible), 2,593 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,603
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.