D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Of course, this all hinges on Leupold actually answering the questions, and not side-stepping them, ala the politician’s playbook of non-answers.

Agreed. Gotta hand it to Doug though for upholding his end of the deal.

Yep, that's pretty cool.
And I'm hoping it's an exercise in civility here but I won't be holding my breath. whistle whistle

A must if anything is to be accomplished.

And, I do hope constructive things will come out of this meeting.

We benefit, Leupold benefits.

Hope they are serious and not just deflecting the heat. The more logical and factual the questions or issues, the less they can deflect.

A bunch of high voltage vitriol is easy to deflect. All smoke, no substance.

We don't need that. They don't need that.

IMO

DF

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Too little, too late. I have permanently divorced Leupold & moved on to European optics. It was not an overnight decision. I labored hard over it.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dear Leupold.

Please try to get your scopes to be more reliable when their elevation and windage turrets are turned.

Thanks for putting great glass in your scopes, thanks for making them light weight, thanks for giving them the best eye relief, thanks for making them good looking, etc.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
Dear Leupold.

Please try to get your scopes to be more reliable when their elevation and windage turrets are turned.

Thanks for putting great glass in your scopes, thanks for making them light weight, thanks for giving them the best eye relief, thanks for making them good looking, etc.

Carrot before the Stick...😬😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Leupold has a VX -6 that was a replacement for a MK 4 that puked 3 times on its way back.
I’d rather shoot peep sights than have another busted leupold to mail back.

if you add freight back to the joke and headaches Nightforce’s are Cheap.

Last edited by fredIII; 07/05/19.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I do hope adults show up here and spare any childishness or inconsiderate outbursts or nothing will be accomplished. Leupold agreed to enter the bear's den, which does take moral courage. Give them a chance to answer the issues... factual issues that people with real world experience are having, not heresay.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Part of the concern revolves around engineering/construction. In a typical failure analysis you need failed samples that have been thru a root cause analysis then you can re-engineer to eliminate that failure in the future.

I don’t know if our guys have that intimate knowledge of the internals.

Just saying they don’t hold zero or dial correctly isn’t likely to get far...

My .02

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am rooting for Leupold big time. They make some models that no one else can touch for size, weight, eye relief, etc. The perceived deficiencies are by now well documented, so I don't expect they are going to encounter any big surprises. Give me a 2.5-8x36 with solid internals, and I am a happy guy.

MLGA!

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
#13953028 07/06/19
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Since Rick locked down the thread (why?) here's another.

Zero retention
Consistent tracking
Return to zero
Inconsistent turret values

Its that simple. Leupold already knows this. They've been told by many other sources much more "qualified" than us, and deny it. There needs to be no conference call. All we need to know is what Leupold is doing to address it.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Looks like Rick stickied the Leupold Q&A thread.

Would be nice to hear Leupold's deal with discontinuing a bunch of their gloss finish scopes, as well as the Long Range Duplex and 6x36.
Also, why there's a cheeseburger on the front page of their site, instead of...ya know, a Leupold. Their website in general is absolute garbage.

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I just bought a couple, hope they hold up like the others I have.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Maybe ILya Koshkin could get in on this....he has plenty of optical knowledge and is level headed...just a thought

I don't always venture out into the sub-freezing darkness, but when I do, it is deer hunting season, and I carry a Remington. Stay hungry my friends.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I second the notion their website could use some improvement. Why not a search by magnification menu? Also, the immediate pop-up shut down my first search just now, and had to start over. Clicking and scrolling for several pages is aggravating. Another neat feature would be an archive of specifications for previous generations of scopes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is this going to change anything? Likely not..

I highly doubt Leupold will say they make a problem rich scope. 😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Since Rick locked down the thread (why?) here's another.

Zero retention
Consistent tracking
Return to zero
Inconsistent turret values

Its that simple. Leupold already knows this. They've been told by many other sources much more "qualified" than us, and deny it. There needs to be no conference call. All we need to know is what Leupold is doing to address it.

I’m hoping the topic stays on the above issues that have been beaten to death here for a long time...

Not, why did the price go up for a reticle change out, or are you bringing back hi-gloss....😎

“Molon Labe”
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Power selector rings that are almost impossible to turn in cold temps. VX-6’s to be specific.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Looks like Rick stickied the Leupold Q&A thread.

Sticky yes. But locked it down. No posting in it.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Why would they not just review their service department history?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Why Wide Duplex? But if other stuff is not addressed it doesn't matter. But still, Wide damned Duplex? WTF?

===================================================================
Tried to post this last night but it was forbidden!

Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Of course, this all hinges on Leupold actually answering the questions, and not side-stepping them, ala the politician’s playbook of non-answers.

Agreed. Gotta hand it to Doug though for upholding his end of the deal.

Yep, that's pretty cool.
And I'm hoping it's an exercise in civility here but I won't be holding my breath. whistle whistle

Fully expect some heck to be raised. LOL

Live streamed will cut out lots of folks. Will there be any type of recording that could be viewed later?

If a few of the guys could formulate some questions like suggested above it'd be great.

Kudos Doug. Leupold was a great Oregon company I used to swear by and it'd be great to see what they can do to up the reliability..

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
This Leupold discussion has been, if nothing else, interesting. I get the distinct impression that the commonly documented issues are seemingly felt to be due to poor engineering. I think the more serious and problematic issue is that of Leupold's corporate philosophy and the direction given by the corporate segment to the product marketing, sales, product development, and production segments of the business is where the root of the problem is located. Scopes are nothing new and how to build a proper erector system and turret operations are no big engineering secret. I once had a long conversation with a then soon to be retired patent holding optical engineer who had worked for Leupold for a long time. He was with another company when I talked to him, but suffice it to say he had nothing but scorn for the corporate bean counters. It is my opinion that the engineers are likely pretty tired of sending a design up the line only to have the bean counters make it cheaper somewhere in order to widen a profit margin.Not saying it is all of the problem, but probably a greater issue than poor engineering.

I think the most significant post of the big thread was dirt farmer's post of Leupold nearly turning down multi million dollar military contract because of fear their scopes could be used to kill people. That is not the first place I have seen that, and because it is on the internet does not make it true, but that better be addressed, because if true Leupold is a dead man walking.

So two questions I'd like to ask are:

Is there any truth to the military contract discussion?

Would Leupold let their engineers design a properly engineered scope and have the beans counters be told to lay off the "make it cheaper " mantra? Let's see what can be produced. Let the prototype out to folks like Formiidosus to be wrung out beforehand.

I'm 71 and have used Leupold stuff for most of of my hunting years. It pains me a lot to see some of this. But I think where there is smoke there is likely some fire.

Thanks to Doug for having the desire and ability to tackle this issue.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
Page 2 of 17 1 2 3 4 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

646 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,355 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,621
Posts18,455,093
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.