Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Very good friend asked me to help him with some firearms from his late father's estate. One of the firearms is a still unfired Winchester Super-X Model 1 Trap. The bolt face doesn't have a single mark on it, the gas tube is spotless... no sign anywhere of it being fired. It has a 30" barrel with an Improved Modified trap choke, trap rib, fancy X checkered straight walnut stock with matching beaver tail forearm, jeweled bolt and shell carrier, trigger is nicer than some rifles I've shot... just an incredible gun! Will definitely need a new bolt buffer and "O" ring before using as I'm sure age has taken care of those 2 items. I'm going to take it to trap league tonight to kinda show off, and as tempted as I am to shoot it, I won't. Unfortunately, it has spent all it's time in a glass doored gun cabinet and was never properly taken care of. There's slight pitting in areas from dust. Just wanted to share a neat old classic.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by DeanAnderson; 06/11/19.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
There is a guy on Shotgun World that is a SX1 fanatic. He should be able to give you a reasonable value for it.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
There is a guy on Shotgun World that is a SX1 fanatic. He should be able to give you a reasonable value for it. He goes by Super-X

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
very nice! I had one of the regular sporters when they first came out but it did not cycle reliably. Have heard a lot of good about them in general but I got a questionable one.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by driggy
There is a guy on Shotgun World that is a SX1 fanatic. He should be able to give you a reasonable value for it. He goes by Super-X

That guy is a blow hard and you will get more information from his drivel about his long dead mother or members of town than you will get about an SX-1. There are knowledgeable members on that site but he isn't one of them.

I've owned and sold several SX-1s but the last went down the road about 12 years ago. The SX-1 is a great target gun due in large part to its weight and had a very strong cult following in the sporting clays field for quite a while. I don't travel to shoot like I used to so cannot comment about other parts of the country but that gun does not seem to be as desired today as in the past, at least in the mid-west. I've seen a few used ones sell in the $500 range a couple years back that were standard field guns with 28" barrels and Mod choke that were in 80-85% condition.

I would expect your buddy's to fetch upwards of $800 and as much as $1000 to the right buyer wouldn't surprise me. Being in very good condition, a motivated buyer could do more. Being a cult gun makes pricing difficult as so much depends on the buyer's desire.

My last two sold for a grand each but I sold near the top of the peak and one had been updated by Bob Baumgart and the other by Steve Fischer. Bob was one of the "go to" guys for all things SX-1 and Steve was pretty knowledgeable himself as he was a gunsmith and shot an SX-1 himself. Both of these guns of mine were trap guns with Full choke barrels with the metal 85-90% and the wood around 80%. The other guns were field guns in lower condition and brought in ~$500 each when I sold them.

IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Wow, what a find! I have never shot one, but would love to.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Dean Anderson,

You certainly are blessed to have aquired the finest semi-auto shotgun built in America. Like "Woodmaster81" I also have owned a bunch of Super-X's over the years...just love the gun even as a "lefty" shooter but I don't shot the shotgun at night under the lights due to gas flashes. As stated in your post be sure to replace the bolt buffer before shooting and I would not be surprised if in the process of replacing the bolt buffer the original buffer will likely crumble in your hands. Just be sure to place a tab of grease on the bottom of the new buffer extension that fits into the back of the receiver as installation should be a so much easier. May I also suggest you install Nuline's stainless steel mag tube. The short stroke gas system creates excess moisture on the mag tube unlike the Rem 1100.

Back in the 80's my target shooting squad called the "Super-X" the Stupid=X, primarily because Winchester so screwed up the marketing of such a well built shotgun. That is another long winded story. Winchester lost approx $150.00 on every gun they built with the highest serial number I am aware of of 92,000.

I can tell by the pictures you posted your new Super-X serial number is likely under 33,000 by the buttstock configuration.

The present market value for Super-X's ( as well as Win Model12's) has fallen beginning in 2006. Not long ago a un-fired Super-X would fetch $1,200 or more in trap configuration, right now I would think a buyer would pay about $850.00. Yet pricing on Super-X's does very greatly on the region of the country you are in. Super -X factory skeet guns IMO are far more desirable.

I believe Tom Knapp shot Super-X's before Benelli sponsored him, Tom was quoted as saying "Not" a faster cycling gas shotgun was made other than a Super-X. I know Tom was right as I a few times did what I call a "Double tap" on a Super-X trigger than even surprised the crap out of me. Never could do the same on a Rem 1100 trigger.

Enjoy shooting your new Super-X as will several generations that follow you will. The shotgun is that good....never to be equaled again.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
These are great guns as others have said but cold as ice.
Market is in the 700 area right now

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
New bolt buffer and "O" ring installed. It'll be going to trap league with me on Tuesday and no longer be unfired! Really looking forward to shooting this thing!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I bet you shoot a great round with it. That gun needs to be shot!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a SX-M1 field grade in 1976 and have used it for hunting (and now sporting clays) ever since. My Dad bought an early SXM1 Trap grade (like you have) and competed with it in trap tournaments for years - it was still very solid when I sold it for him a number of years ago. I did replace the bolt buffer in mine and in his (the old ones were brittle as hell when I popped them out - broke all to pieces). That warning is very real, don't shoot it until you change them out. I believe I bought my buffers from Stew Wright (I also replaced the metal recoil plunger in mine - it was very worn).

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (14idaho, 35, 280shooter, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 300_savage, 7 invisible), 1,552 guests, and 701 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,519
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.