-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I know, I know....Reticles are subjective and used to expedite targeting at various ranges. But, some reticles seem like a mathematical equation requiring a solution be solved before squeezing a trigger.

Best example is a Horus Reticle. Is a shooter working against the clock on target acquisition then shot placement really benefiting himself when a reticle is plastered with teeny-tinny dots and hash marks arranged in a pyramid that likely covers a small piece of steel he needs to hit at 800, 900 or 1000 plus yards?

Wouldn’t a simple Mils reticle with reduced windshield clutter be easier to work with? I suspect this might be the case since I’ve seen several Horus reticled scopes come up for sale “as-new” and not much buying interest.

For dialers who hunt the same reticle they use for practice and play....What’s your favorite reticle?

Mine is a Mil-Quad or Mil-Dot reticle.

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I prefer the LRD in the Leupold line.... I have it in a FXIII 6X42 and I just love it... quick... easy.... minimal thinking.... no cranking, no dialing... no tricky math...

I have no idea why they dropped it from their product line up... but you can still order it thru the custom shop on their website.

I sight my gun in with the first dot under the cross hairs, I need it to hit dead on at 300 yards. The next dot is good for 400 yards.... every thing under 250 yards gets the cross hairs.

I make some crazy shots with that gun.

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by mikieb
I prefer the LRD in the Leupold line.... I have it in a FXIII 6X42 and I just love it... quick... easy.... minimal thinking.... no cranking, no dialing... no tricky math...

I have no idea why they dropped it from their product line up... but you can still order it thru the custom shop on their website.

I sight my gun in with the first dot under the cross hairs, I need it to hit dead on at 300 yards. The next dot is good for 400 yards.... every thing under 250 yards gets the cross hairs.

I make some crazy shots with that gun.

Sounds like something I would want. I don't need a radar screen. My shots usually present themselves pretty quick, faster than my mind does math, LOL!!!

Last edited by Filaman; 07/06/19.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The swfa mil quad is the best hunting/ long range reticle i have used. Simple, fast, and precise. Tough to beat it.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The sightron HHR (hunter holdover reticle) is my favorite. Zero at 200 and you have fine hashes for 300, 400 and duplex stump for 500.

I also like the Burris ballistic plex but it is more aligned for 100 yard zero in the standard calibers I use.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Vortex EBR-7C is my favourite precision rifle reticle, and the G2H is my favourite for general hunting. The MQ is also an awesome general hunting reticle.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Most long range types seem to be very busy in that dept.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Horus is for seal team 6 wanna bees. It’s for guys who play sniper ninja that shoot 20 pound chassis rig guns off fake barricades.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Don’t buy one then

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Beaver10
I know, I know....Reticles are subjective and used to expedite targeting at various ranges. But, some reticles seem like a mathematical equation requiring a solution be solved before squeezing a trigger.

Best example is a Horus Reticle. Is a shooter working against the clock on target acquisition then shot placement really benefiting himself when a reticle is plastered with teeny-tinny dots and hash marks arranged in a pyramid that likely covers a small piece of steel he needs to hit at 800, 900 or 1000 plus yards?

Wouldn’t a simple Mils reticle with reduced windshield clutter be easier to work with? I suspect this might be the case since I’ve seen several Horus reticled scopes come up for sale “as-new” and not much buying interest.

For dialers who hunt the same reticle they use for practice and play....What’s your favorite reticle?

Mine is a Mil-Quad or Mil-Dot reticle.

😎

The Horus works very well for what it’s intended to do- multiple targets, at multiple different ranges, under time constraints, without dialing, and more accurate 2nd and 3rd shot corrections. Better than 75% of the long range scopes I use have an H59 it Tremor 3 reticle. I don’t even notice the grid unless I need it.

It’s not a animal hunting reticle, it’s a people hunting one, and I prefer it for long range field competitions as well. For hunting the Mil-Quad is my preference.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm pretty partial to a duplex reticle .

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I’m enjoying the forceplex in my nightforce shv. The mil dot reticle from SWFA is also nice.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Don’t buy one then

Life really is just that simple. I like a simple reticle myself so thats what I buy. Aint no shortage of scopes or reticles.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Form explained it.

I used the Leupold LRD and like it for hunting deer. It works in a fixed power scope (or FFP) but coyotes or fox (or crows, etc) are noticeably tougher for me to bracket on in between ranges.

The more I use the G2H reticle that Jordan mentioned, the more I like it. Very well designed reticle. If I could make a change, I'd bring the bottom outer plex up to 6 mil like the top and both sides so it would be "square" all the way around as I'll dial if possible. I do notice the uneven outer plex but it's nothing that can't be lived with.

The Milquad and Moaquad reticles are good to. My preference would be a lower post like the upper 3 but again, that's just a preference.

Last season I used a plain jane mildot reticle the majority of the season and I've been shooting it a bit the last several months. It's still a GREAT reticle for all around hunting. 4 bold posts spaced evenly, marked windage that is bold enough and tight enough to bracket with at in between ranges. Simple and efficient.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can see the need or want for the busy reticles but for the shooting and hunting I do a basic plex or 4a works just fine for me. To each his own though.

You ain't about that life.
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

I'm just a simple killer, so the Leupold Heavy Duplex works for me. And it has for many, many years.

The first time I did an article on a rifle that was issued to me with a Nightforce (or whatever) scope and the Horus reticle, I just about wanted to puke. I suppose it's a mathematician's dream but, as you say, WTF?

Blessings,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Although I am in a slow process of learning the mil system and now have two 1st focal plain mil/mil scopes, I have never twisted a turret when hunting. Maybe it is because my mediocre Alaskan hunting career has not required it and most shots in Alaska are well under two hundred yards. Most of my game shots have been taken with a Leupold "set n forget" scope with a Duplex reticle and a very few shots on moose and caribou were a bit over four hundred yards.

I started with and old Weaver 4 power with a post reticle and still have the scope. I think my first moose was around three hundred yards with that scope and my old Springfield 03A3 in 30-06 Govt. That and the 220 grain Silvertips worked just fine on the lung shot, the nose shot that followed the lung shot and subsequent misses, finally I hit the poor beast in the neck and ended his suffering. A true tale of a 15 year old boy who was alone and trying to shoot a moose and manage a huge adrenalin dump.

For hunting up here in Alaska the Leupold Firedot #4 reticle is fine with me. I am pretty confident with "hold over" out to 400 yards on a stationary broad side moose or caribou. I do believe a reticle like the mil reticle in the 3-9x42 SWFA HD scope on my 6.5 Creed would be a good all around choice for a riflemen that could use it to it's potential. I'm not that guy yet, but I am slowly learning.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dogzapper

I'm just a simple killer, so the Leupold Heavy Duplex works for me. And it has for many, many years.

The first time I did an article on a rifle that was issued to me with a Nightforce (or whatever) scope and the Horus reticle, I just about wanted to puke. I suppose it's a mathematician's dream but, as you say, WTF?

Blessings,

Steve

DZ,
Nice to see you posting....Hope you’re well. 😎

With that said, I admit this thread was “click bait” for the likes of Jordan, Formidilosus and a couple others who I know would have no issues using a Horus Reticle and likely benefiting from its windshield in both competition or hunting men as Form mentioned.

For me, it’s interesting to read what a few can do with equipment that baffles the heck out of me.

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I just don't understand the "math" aspect of using a mil type reticle and a scope w reliable dialing and matching turrets. About 6 months ago I put a SS 3-9 w/ MQ reticle on my Tikka T3 308 after reading Form's excellent tutorial on here. A fun day w/ a buddy who knew the system as a spotter and I had enough dope to work w/ reticle and the turrets. Last week I was routinely hitting 6" plates at 300-500 yards, dial 1 and shoot,rtz and use the reticle to hold for the next hit. Actually knowing that your POA and POI will coincide is a lot of fun and so easy even a caveman can do it.

For you snap shooters, I carry my rifle w/ the scope set on 6x w/ an 100 yard zero. I practice at 100 from slung position w/ a shot timer. < 6 secs to hit a 6" plate 80% of the time most days and I will get better.

Everyone should use what they like but the sniper remarks show lack of knowledge and a juvenile attitude.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm another who's a fan of the SWFA MQ, and really like G2H in the LRHS, for 'dual purpose' use. For me, the G2H is a great combination of adequate reference for holds/measuring corrections, while still being very quick & 'pointable'. A Mildot suits me just fine in a pinch too.

I prefer a bit less cluttered, tree style reticle, so I'm not a big fan of the Horus rets. However, even me, just being an occasional competitor- I've seen stages and scenarios where the strengths of the design were obvious against my G3 equipped DMRII Pro. Upsides and downsides to every reticle. They all have their place.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 270winchester, 007FJ, 63 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,650
Posts18,455,461
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.