Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Anyone have a good recommendation for a good holster for jogging/running? Wife and I are getting into the long distance running and would like to pack a handgun as we run more remote areas. Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Not sure what you're wearing or if you care about concealment but one of the most comfortable holsters for vigorous hiking and climbing I found was a typical crappy padded Uncle Mike's I had for a J-frame. I imagine it would work similarly for running. Not very tactical but was comfortable and protected my body from the gun very nicely. I think it worked well with a J-frame mostly due to the light weight, a model 29 might not work with this idea.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hill People Gear Runner's Kit Bag....They are pricey but worth every penny.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by krupp

+1. HPGs stuff is top notch. While I don't run in mine it does get worn while hiking, riding the quad or my Rokon or driving the tractor. It's very quick to access the gun and keeps the elements off it.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
That’s what I was going to get, the HPG looks really versatile.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would try to integrate it with your hydration system. The type of gun you are planning to carry also is going to make a big difference.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I bought the HPG Recon kit bag and the Recon harness to use with a water bladder. Worked great carrying snacks and water along with small essentials that you need on an unsupported run. Carried a 38 and extra ammo without bouncing around.

I also added a Blue Force Gear Ten Speed pouch that holds 3 30 round magazines. They also hold other things a runner might need quickly

Last edited by TWR; 07/07/19.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JLimbo

+1. HPGs stuff is top notch. While I don't run in mine it does get worn while hiking, riding the quad or my Rokon or driving the tractor. It's very quick to access the gun and keeps the elements off it.

I ran with mine some when I first got it and it worked well...better than anything else. Not firearm specific so it can be used with most any handgun. A kydex trigger guard like Dale Frickie's Zac is good to use with it. Enough room to put keys, a cell phone, etc in. It's useful for so many other things...like JLimbo mentioned....I can't imagine not having one now. I've got one for general use and one I use for hunting only.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I second the HPG recommendation.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Don't know what you have for a gun, but when I was running I always just tucked a Keltec .32 IWB using the optional pocket clip.

Placed just behind the hip you don't even know it is there....there is nothing lighter or thinner except for maybe a NAA Mini-Revolver and I would much rather carry the KelTec...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
IC B3

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
HPG is a great answer, and I often use mine.

With my training focusing trails/mountain running, I’m generally in my Salomon vest. There happens to be a pocket just right for my 642.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
If you are not packing a 44 mag it wont matter, you are going to get eaten anyway.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Hubert
If you are not packing a 44 mag it wont matter, you are going to get eaten anyway.

that's funny right there,lol

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't run anymore, but I have an HPG. I use it when I am hiking sometimes, and when riding my mountain bike. Have taken a couple of falls with it, and both it and the pistol emerged unscathed.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by rong
Originally Posted by Hubert

that's funny right there,lol

Carry enough gun and you don't have to run!

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Just shoot me now.

A ventilated neoprene bellyband and a lightweight handgun - preferably one you can rinse in the sink. A S&W M37 is my choice. It will still suck, but less than most.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I have used a Runner's Kit Bag quite a bit and they do work well if you have the elastic cord running around back. You will have to modify what you wear also. They stay pretty tight but there is still movement. I don't know how far you're running but if it's more than a 5K on a regular basis it will take some adjusting of what you wear with it to avoid chafing.

The gun you carry matters as well. You want something very light weight. Not to save energy but to reduce momentum as churn along.

If you can carry something light and still feel comfortable try a Blackhawk Tec Grip inside the waistband. I prefer to tuck in a long t-shirt and put the holster against that and inside both my chonies and my running shorts. You can put it directly against your skin but for longer runs you make get some chafing.

With LCP and LCR type guns they will stay put as long as the elastic in your gear isn't shot.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I used my kit bag only on runs over 6 miles. Up to that point I just use a kydex holster and don't need any water or fuel usually. It's when I go past that, that I need the extras but I was good for 20 miles with the HPG kit bag, mine was very comfortable.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I don't like having to mess with zippers to get to my firearm. I'd just go with a chest holster. Simply Rugged makes a good one.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It's clear here who actually runs. Walking/hiking are not the same thing when it comes to packing heat. The strides and vertical movements the body makes while running are very different than walking. On a casual run 3-8 miles on a trail or paved road, I use an old neoprene CD player case and carry a lightweight 357 j-frame. A Serpa Blackhawk holster with paddle attachment also works, but you need a very strong draw-string and safety pines on your shorts to hold it in place. I also compete in run n gun events. These are like a 5k/10k/15k tough-mudder runs combined with a 3-gun type competition. Basically you have to carry a centerfire rifle and pistol and all ammunition while running the 5/10/15k event. In this case, I use a highly modified, and very tight fitting, load bearing vest and carry 60 rounds of 556, 68 rounds of 9mm, and a Glock 34 on it all while running at a 8-12min/mile pace depending on terrain and obstacles. The bottom line is, unless it you need to carry a large heavy pistol, opt for something very lightweight (Scandium type revolver), and a holster that hugs your body - tight. If it's even slightly loose it will flop around and you'll leave it home on the next foray.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10ring1, 53 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,549
Posts18,453,561
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.