DF

BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
The barreled action is worth a heap more than what you paid.

If it was mine, I'd be looking at a McM Edge, Brown Precision, etc.

DF

Yeah, I'd love to run across a good deal on a hunters compact like what I've had in the past. One of my favorite set-ups was my 270 fwt in the mcmillan with red pachmayr. You guys remember that one:

[Linked Image]

I always said if I were a 270 fan, I would have kept that rifle, because it was one of the best 270's I've ever seen.. It was set up right. I will eventually do that with this 30-06 or just hunt the heck out of it in this stock, because it's not worth much as it is. I like gundoc's suggestions on reshaping things, especially the pistol grip, but don't want to put too much time into this stock. Down the road, if the right mcmillan comes along, I can probably sell this wood stock on ebay for $150.00..... Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm still a model 70 nut through and through, even though I've been playing around with my savage's and Tikka's and AR's....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
The barreled action is worth a heap more than what you paid.

If it was mine, I'd be looking at a McM Edge, Brown Precision, etc.

DF

Thanks DF. The only thing the barreled action needed was a front sight hood. Ordered a real nice all original one, so it will be complete. It's pretty common to find them around here without the front sight hood. I've bought many here (in OR) that were missing..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Did people remove the hood? My 30-06 is apparently original, but is missing the hood.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AlleghenyMountain
Did people remove the hood? My 30-06 is apparently original, but is missing the hood.

Yeah, most take them off before a hunt in fear of losing them in the brush. Some get lost in the brush... I'll pull them now, as I lost one off of my 338 Alaskan one year when hunting in the thick stuff for elk... That's a $40.00 education..

[Linked Image]

I used to keep spare front hoods around, but guys here would pm me and ask if I had any extras and ended up selling them grin . Like my gunsmith friend always told me, it's a $40.00 bill

BSA MAGA
IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
My .270 still has it's hood in place. Do they slide right off the front?

Last edited by AlleghenyMountain; 07/15/19. Reason: Misspelled word
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Split ring pliers with straight jaws are my tool of choice to remove or install a front sight hood.

Seems pretty hard to lose a front sight hood if it’s properly installed.

I have a never hunted brown McMillian Edge Fwt pattern stock with a 1” red pad that I plan on selling.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Split ring pliers my tool of choice to remove or install a front sight hood.

I have a never hunted brown McMillian Edge Fwt pattern stock with a 1” red pad that I plan on selling.

tag

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Split ring pliers with straight jaws are my tool of choice to remove or install a front sight hood.

You hunt hard enough and you will eventually lose one. Especially an old worn out one. The original I had on my 338 was not real tight. I"ve seen plenty of rifles with no hoods. I've asked guys what happened to them and the usual answer was "lost on a hunt". So, it does happen pocono. No matter how it was installed. They pretty much go on one way and sit in the recess intended for them, but that doesn't guarantee they won't come off. I use snap ring pliers to remove and install my hoods...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great snag BSA.

IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

BSA,

Well, old, worn out ones that aren’t real tight must be the operative words as the front sight hoods that I’ve messed around with were actually pretty difficult to get on and off. But, I do agree, it is possible for a sight hood to fall off and be lost.

It has always been my sense that rather than being ‘lost while hunting in the thick stuff’ the majority of missing front sight hoods were removed because they interfered with the scope’s sight picture, and were then placed in a drawer to be lost or forgotten. I feel that in my younger years I hunted very hard and can’t recall ever losing one.

It helps to wrap the jaws of the pliers with a little electrical tape to prevent marring the inside of the sight hood or ramp.

Hunter S. Thompson
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I usually just tap the hood on and off with a wood block or a soft faced hammer. I guess that is a bit harder on the gun, but I don't remove/install them often at all. In addition, all of mine are old enough to have forged front ramps, which I think may be a bit easier to install a hood, and maybe a bit tougher ramp to boot.

I don't own a Pre '64 FWT (no FWTs with forged ramps), although I would own one had I been standing behind BSA when he didn't buy that .30-06 the first time he saw it!

All my rifles are scoped, but I admit I fear losing a hood. But I tend to take the Pre '64 rifles on "easy" hunts, and use stainless Classics when hunting hard.

I wonder if some hoods got removed simply because it can be easier to see the front sight in poor light (for those that actually used the iron sights?)

Last edited by GunDoc7; 07/15/19.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by AlleghenyMountain
My .270 still has it's hood in place. Do they slide right off the front?

Yes, but some are tighter than others.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

A M70 just does not look right without a sight hood.

There are repro sight hoods currently being marketed that are very difficult to distinguish from originals. The bluing seems a little off.

Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nice pick up! Those are the same kinda deals I watch for

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

There are repro sight hoods currently being marketed that are very difficult to distinguish from originals. The bluing seems a little off.

I absolutely agree. There are also the ones that are squared off on the back, not angled on both ends. Trust me, I'll pay $40.00 for an original in good condition, when I need to. I won't use a knockoff...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

BSA,

Well, old, worn out ones that aren’t real tight must be the operative words as the front sight hoods that I’ve messed around with were actually pretty difficult to get on and off. But, I do agree, it is possible for a sight hood to fall off and be lost.

It has always been my sense that rather than being ‘lost while hunting in the thick stuff’ the majority of missing front sight hoods were removed because they interfered with the scope’s sight picture, and were then placed in a drawer to be lost or forgotten. I feel that in my younger years I hunted very hard and can’t recall ever losing one.

It helps to wrap the jaws of the pliers with a little electrical tape to prevent marring the inside of the sight hood or ramp.

Good advice pocono..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
I usually just tap the hood on and off with a wood block or a soft faced hammer. I guess that is a bit harder on the gun, but I don't remove/install them often at all. In addition, all of mine are old enough to have forged front ramps, which I think may be a bit easier to install a hood, and maybe a bit tougher ramp to boot.

I don't own a Pre '64 FWT (no FWTs with forged ramps), although I would own one had I been standing behind BSA when he didn't buy that .30-06 the first time he saw it!

All my rifles are scoped, but I admit I fear losing a hood. But I tend to take the Pre '64 rifles on "easy" hunts, and use stainless Classics when hunting hard.

I wonder if some hoods got removed simply because it can be easier to see the front sight in poor light (for those that actually used the iron sights?)

All good points Gundoc.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I absolutely agree. There are also the ones that are squared off on the back, not angled on both ends. Trust me, I'll pay $40.00 for an original in good condition, when I need to. I won't use a knockoff...

No, these repros are angled on both ends and very difficult to distinguish from the originals. I’d be very suspect of any sight hood that has no wear.

Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Worked on the stock a little today. Got rid of the weird knob on the tip of the forend. I always heard a knob like that was made so your hand doesn't slip off. smirk Opened up the barrel channel too, so it is freefloating. When I get more time, I'll glass bed it, as I have to work tonight and didn't feel like exerting the energy.... Funny thing is it only takes me about 30 minutes to glass bed one of these things anymore... I glass bed 4 rifles the other day with no problem. To be honest, the rifle shot exactly how I was expecting. Having pressure on the tip of the barrel and hitting in other spots is always a recipe for disaster. POI of the first shot is usually always off by itself, while the other shots may or may not cluster well. Generally not in most cases. I may start another thread regarding the glass bedding and freefloating and how it affects accuracy..

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
94 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 257_X_50, 14 invisible), 1,693 guests, and 687 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,724
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.