Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RecoilRob
Back a few posts, on 7/22, I remarked on only getting $1000 for a minty M64 Deluxe. When I had it, I sourced out an original sling & swivels for the gun. I thought I was crazy to pay $100 for it 20 years ago, it just sold on Ebay for $300.

$1000 for the gun, $300 for the sling w/swivels, the cash is in the details.

Yep. Old Winchester stuff used to be a sure bet as an investment for the future. Not so much anymore, as you have to be a lot more selective.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Nice snag. I don't buy guns any more as an investment, just to have/hunt with what I really want. Last 4 guns bought have been 3 pre 64s and one 33/40 project!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Well damn it, it happened again. Ive been in Reno for a few days and went to a nice little fun shop. This place was actually in sun valley. Anyway, im looking around the shop and saw so much brass and reloading supplies. Saw some 300WBY brass ad thought about the good ol days when i had one. I dont have a 300 wby anymore, but made a mental note of where that brass was hiding in one corner of the shop. The shop owner started taking rifles out of the safes and im thknking i might as well ask if he has any pre 64's. He said yes, i have 1. I asked whats it chambered in. He said 300 something and i asked H&H? He said no, i cant remember exactly what 300, so i asked Weatherby? He said, yeah i think thats what it is. I said, thats a shame. Im sure it used to be a 300H&H and he said, you might be right. He then asked if winchester ever made a pre 64 in that chambering. I said no. I then said well, when you get to it, id like to see it. When he pulled it out, he said i'll make you a hell of a deal on it, because ive had it for a long time. I looked it over and started to explain about how that used to be a popular conversion, but it greatly depreciates the value. He asked if ive seen very many of them and i said sure, on gunbroker. He asked how much they sell for and i said right around $750.00. He said ill sell it to you for "$499.00". I said, "Ill take it"!! Sold!! Ill get some pics when i get home..

I’ll give you 599 for it.... whistle

They make some great donors. My 375 Improved is one of the same such converted H&H’s.

I believe I’d do a 416 with the next one I find.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by beretzs; 08/30/19.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Well damn it, it happened again. Ive been in Reno for a few days and went to a nice little fun shop. This place was actually in sun valley. Anyway, im looking around the shop and saw so much brass and reloading supplies. Saw some 300WBY brass ad thought about the good ol days when i had one. I dont have a 300 wby anymore, but made a mental note of where that brass was hiding in one corner of the shop. The shop owner started taking rifles out of the safes and im thknking i might as well ask if he has any pre 64's. He said yes, i have 1. I asked whats it chambered in. He said 300 something and i asked H&H? He said no, i cant remember exactly what 300, so i asked Weatherby? He said, yeah i think thats what it is. I said, thats a shame. Im sure it used to be a 300H&H and he said, you might be right. He then asked if winchester ever made a pre 64 in that chambering. I said no. I then said well, when you get to it, id like to see it. When he pulled it out, he said i'll make you a hell of a deal on it, because ive had it for a long time. I looked it over and started to explain about how that used to be a popular conversion, but it greatly depreciates the value. He asked if ive seen very many of them and i said sure, on gunbroker. He asked how much they sell for and i said right around $750.00. He said ill sell it to you for "$499.00". I said, "Ill take it"!! Sold!! Ill get some pics when i get home..

They make some great donors. My 375 Improved is one of the same such converted H&H’s.

[Linked Image]

Awesome scotty. You should show a pic of your 300WBY

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

[Linked Image]

Awesome scotty. You should show a pic of your 300WBY

That is what used to be the 300 Wby. I tried everything to make it shoot but I couldn’t get anything with any combo under 2”. Sooooo it went off to JES on an experiment to keep the factory barrel and became a 375 Improved.

Semper Fi
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Oh, ok. Now we know the rest of the story. Damn smart move man. Trying to find an original 375 H&H barrel of the same year as the receiver is like winning the lottery. Finding a 300H&H barrel is a lot easier. Ive seen them for $300.00 on occasion. Im hoping my wby will be a sweet shooter. Fingers crossed.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Oh, ok. Now we know the rest of the story. Damn smart move man. Trying to find an original 375 H&H barrel of the same year as the receiver is like winning the lottery. Finding a 300H&H barrel is a lot easier. Ive seen them for $300.00 on occasion. Im hoping my wby will be a sweet shooter. Fingers crossed.

Same here, most of them have been easy with 7828 and a decent bullet. Probably one of the easiest big cartridges I have loaded for..

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Damn prices are low? All depends upon what kind of gun floats your boat.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Poconojack

That’s a fact....

laissez les bons temps rouler
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Well, now you got me curious, Jack. I suspect you are speaking of higher end guns, so prices are never truly "low." But it's a relative thing. Are there some guns where the current prices are relatively high for what they are?

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Sounds like you and your buddy battue need to step out of the box a little bit. Broaden your horizons. You sit at home all day long, you'll never find good gun deals. Its a fact that prices are damn low on the majority of firearms right now. Its a buyers market. Ive listed many examples of different rifles and shotguns, that ive either seen or bought for super cheap prices. Eventually prices will go up, as they always do. As for now, i buy the ones that are super cheap. The Beretta 303 trap gun i bought last month for $360.00 is a great example. You cant touch those anywhere for less than $700.00. The pre 64 30-06 featherweight i bought a day after i bought the Beretta is another prime example. Ive been offered almost twice what i paid for it. Prices arent cheap? When was the last time you priced out an H&H receiver? There are still guys out there that prefer that particular receiver for custom builds. Prices on those arent cheap, but every once in a while youll run across an old rifle with an H&H receiver at a low price and youll know you hit the jackpot. As s matter of fact, that reminds me of a 300 win mag built on an H&H. That rifle was only $400.00. Thats pretty damn cheap to me. Get out and look around, you might even find some good deals out there.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You are right. The good high end items are not getting any less expensive. The used Pre 64’s are getting cheaper only because the new kids don’t want them.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Good deals were always to be found. I recently got out and found a great deal on a Krieghoff. It was a deal and not the norm.

A great deal doesn’t mean prices are low when compared to buying between knowledgeable buyers.

Last edited by battue; 09/04/19.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
BSA has been on a real hot streak recently. I'm either going to have to start bird dogging him or convince him to adopt me. cool

For the new kids, even those looking for bolt guns as opposed to AR's, the accuracy/price/value of some of the new "stamped out" rifles will get your attention. For high volume shooting, I've been tempted myself.
But if you like to watch a rifle control feed, even if you don't need it to but you appreciate the design and history of the concept, and if you prefer a safety that takes control of the striker, the old designs . . . yes.
I wonder if some of the new kids will come around as their knowledge of some of the finer points increases?

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by battue
You are right. The good high end items are not getting any less expensive. The used Pre 64’s are getting cheaper only because the new kids don’t want them.

Yeah, that sucks too!! Dang kids.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
BSA has been on a real hot streak recently. I'm either going to have to start bird dogging him or convince him to adopt me. cool

For the new kids, even those looking for bolt guns as opposed to AR's, the accuracy/price/value of some of the new "stamped out" rifles will get your attention. For high volume shooting, I've been tempted myself.
But if you like to watch a rifle control feed, even if you don't need it to but you appreciate the design and history of the concept, and if you prefer a safety that takes control of the striker, the old designs . . . yes.
I wonder if some of the new kids will come around as their knowledge of some of the finer points increases?

I sure hope so buddy. I think a lot of us here have a great respect for the paul mauser design. When i was 12, my parents gave me my first centerfire rifle. It was a very nicely sporterized m1917 30-06. We could not afford pre 64 model 70's back then, so now when i find one for under $500.00 and its in great condition, im buying it!!!!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GunDoc7

Im going to start my 14 year old nephew out on a beautifully sporterized m98 8mm mauser. His dad gave it to my dad and then i refinished and re-blued and glass bedded it, then i found the proper mounts and scoped it. First 5 shot group (with my handloads) printed 3/4" at 100 yards. Some kids are started off right, so they too will have an appreciation for classic firearms.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Worked on the stock a little today. Got rid of the weird knob on the tip of the forend. I always heard a knob like that was made so your hand doesn't slip off. smirk Opened up the barrel channel too, so it is freefloating. When I get more time, I'll glass bed it, as I have to work tonight and didn't feel like exerting the energy.... Funny thing is it only takes me about 30 minutes to glass bed one of these things anymore... I glass bed 4 rifles the other day with no problem. To be honest, the rifle shot exactly how I was expecting. Having pressure on the tip of the barrel and hitting in other spots is always a recipe for disaster. POI of the first shot is usually always off by itself, while the other shots may or may not cluster well. Generally not in most cases. I may start another thread regarding the glass bedding and freefloating and how it affects accuracy..

You filed off a Schnabel forend tip? God forbid if you ever get your hands on a Featherweight Model 70.

Is your middle name Bubba?

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Sounds like you and your buddy battue need to step out of the box a little bit. Broaden your horizons. You sit at home all day long, you'll never find good gun deals. Its a fact that prices are damn low on the majority of firearms right now. Its a buyers market. Ive listed many examples of different rifles and shotguns, that ive either seen or bought for super cheap prices. Eventually prices will go up, as they always do. As for now, i buy the ones that are super cheap. The Beretta 303 trap gun i bought last month for $360.00 is a great example. You cant touch those anywhere for less than $700.00. The pre 64 30-06 featherweight i bought a day after i bought the Beretta is another prime example. Ive been offered almost twice what i paid for it. Prices arent cheap? When was the last time you priced out an H&H receiver? There are still guys out there that prefer that particular receiver for custom builds. Prices on those arent cheap, but every once in a while youll run across an old rifle with an H&H receiver at a low price and youll know you hit the jackpot. As s matter of fact, that reminds me of a 300 win mag built on an H&H. That rifle was only $400.00. Thats pretty damn cheap to me. Get out and look around, you might even find some good deals out there.

Clueless.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
This one was so cheap, they practically gave it away to me:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
375 winchester. Big bore 94, made in '79

Ok, here's the '59 300H&H, converted to WBY that I was telling you guys about. I started taking it apart and cleaning it up, but you get the idea. I took the rock hard white line pachmayr recoil pad off and will replace it with a red decelerator I have laying around. I'll probably end up doing that tomorrow:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The metal is in really good condition. It even has it's front hood!!!!!! I'm thinking it's a score for $499.00. Not truly collectible, but still a great find.

Here's some pics of the stock, after I wiped it down with some special stock sauce:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 163bc, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 54 invisible), 1,982 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,724
Posts18,457,333
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.