Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Was at a LGS yesterday and told them they need to raise their prices so I don't end up buying 3 rifles at a time again. This one store in particular had an XTR fwt chambered in 243 win and I damn near bought it for $399.99....!!!!! If I go back next weekend and its still there, it might just go home with me.. Of course I'll offer them $350.00. They don't know what they have... Rifle had a 153xxxx serial number. Off the top of my head, I was thinking it was made around '81... Damn, I should have bought it... sick

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Yep, you should've bought it.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Not good for our investments but good if you can shoot them all.

LOL
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Not good for our investments but good if you can shoot them all.

I agree man. I know you like old lever guns. They also had an 1894 with long octagon barrel for $499.99. That rifle was cool, but had very little original bluing left on it. It has tons of character.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The market for most guns is soft right now. Nobody is immediately worried about the Dems taking away our guns , although a lot of them running for office are promising too if elected.
And if you go into most guns shops you may see a couple old guys, like me, looking at old guns made of walnut and steel.
But for every one of us there are ten of the younger generation looking at either the inexpensive black plastic rifles that probably shoot better than what we are looking at, or another ten or twelve discussing the newest long range wonder cartridge or scope.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Good point(s) Phil,
I recently saw 2 different sales of decent pre 64 Model 70's where the winning bid was south of $700.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 458Win
The market for most guns is soft right now. Nobody is immediately worried about the Dems taking away our guns , although a lot of them running for office are promising too if elected.
And if you go into most guns shops you may see a couple old guys, like me, looking at old guns made of walnut and steel.
But for every one of us there are ten of the younger generation looking at either the inexpensive black plastic rifles that probably shoot better than what we are looking at, or another ten or twelve discussing the newest long range wonder cartridge or scope.

I'm not too picky Phil. I like them all... Ha ha.. I almost walked out of that gunshop with an armload of rifles and a couple shotguns the other day.... grin

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So where is this gun shop at?

I could run interference for ya and take that featherweight off their hands, so you won't feel so bad about it all...

I've got to make a trip up your way relatively soon...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Add another to the list. A nice pre 64 30-06 fwt. Only downfall is a "custom"/un original stock. Price:$475.00!

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Hopefully that one followed you home ...

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Hopefully that one followed you home ...

Maybe tomorrow. I walked out of there with a beretta 303 trap for $360.00. Shot a little trap tonight with it and it is a sweet shooting trap gun. That one is probably worth $850.00+

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Nice score.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Add another to the list. A nice pre 64 30-06 fwt. Only downfall is a "custom"/un original stock. Price:$475.00!

Damn, BSA, I think you're slipping to walk off from that. Just sayin'

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GunDoc7

You know id be slipping if i put weaver mounts on it. grin

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Only if you put the ring nuts on the wrong side of the action. grin

Seriously, if you are calling it "nice", it has to be pretty good . . . an original but cut stock is $200 - $300 . . . or a Mickey. $475 sounds like a price for an action alone, maybe with bottom metal, does it not? I'm not looking for another Pre '64, but I don't know if I could walk away. Prices really are low!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Only if you put the ring nuts on the wrong side of the action. grin

Seriously, if you are calling it "nice", it has to be pretty good . . . an original but cut stock is $200 - $300 . . . or a Mickey. $475 sounds like a price for an action alone, maybe with bottom metal, does it not? I'm not looking for another Pre '64, but I don't know if I could walk away. Prices really are low!

Yeah. The stock is not original. I wish it was. Here's a pic. I did buy it yesterday. Couldn't let it slip through my hands. Too good of a deal to pass up.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'm going to glass bed this one and work a little magic on her. Shot it today and I can see some potential. I did, however, see signs of pressure on the barrel. This one is not freefloated. I think that will help, as will some good old glass bedding. Trigger is already fine tuned and cleaned up a bit (did that last night). This one will be ready to hunt shortly...

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
hell of a deal if it shoots. Not a bad deal if it needs a barrel.
Except for the inlay, cleaning up the end of the pistol grip and handing it to someone handy with a checkering tool could result in a pretty nice stock. But the "except for the inlay" part is not trivial.
The metal I see looks nice. How is the bottom metal?
When was it made?

Wait for it . . .

Need me to send you some Weaver bases and rings? whistle

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Nice! I'd have jumped on that one too!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The barreled action is worth a heap more than what you paid.

If it was mine, I'd be looking at a McM Edge, Brown Precision, etc.

DF

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
BSA has a way of finding pretty good deals on Pre '64's. But that was a hellofva deal even for him.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yep, he done good...

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

Yeah, I'd love to run across a good deal on a hunters compact like what I've had in the past. One of my favorite set-ups was my 270 fwt in the mcmillan with red pachmayr. You guys remember that one:

[Linked Image]

I always said if I were a 270 fan, I would have kept that rifle, because it was one of the best 270's I've ever seen.. It was set up right. I will eventually do that with this 30-06 or just hunt the heck out of it in this stock, because it's not worth much as it is. I like gundoc's suggestions on reshaping things, especially the pistol grip, but don't want to put too much time into this stock. Down the road, if the right mcmillan comes along, I can probably sell this wood stock on ebay for $150.00..... Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm still a model 70 nut through and through, even though I've been playing around with my savage's and Tikka's and AR's....

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

Thanks DF. The only thing the barreled action needed was a front sight hood. Ordered a real nice all original one, so it will be complete. It's pretty common to find them around here without the front sight hood. I've bought many here (in OR) that were missing..

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Did people remove the hood? My 30-06 is apparently original, but is missing the hood.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AlleghenyMountain
Did people remove the hood? My 30-06 is apparently original, but is missing the hood.

Yeah, most take them off before a hunt in fear of losing them in the brush. Some get lost in the brush... I'll pull them now, as I lost one off of my 338 Alaskan one year when hunting in the thick stuff for elk... That's a $40.00 education..

[Linked Image]

I used to keep spare front hoods around, but guys here would pm me and ask if I had any extras and ended up selling them grin . Like my gunsmith friend always told me, it's a $40.00 bill

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
My .270 still has it's hood in place. Do they slide right off the front?

Last edited by AlleghenyMountain; 07/15/19. Reason: Misspelled word
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Split ring pliers with straight jaws are my tool of choice to remove or install a front sight hood.

Seems pretty hard to lose a front sight hood if it’s properly installed.

I have a never hunted brown McMillian Edge Fwt pattern stock with a 1” red pad that I plan on selling.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Split ring pliers my tool of choice to remove or install a front sight hood.

I have a never hunted brown McMillian Edge Fwt pattern stock with a 1” red pad that I plan on selling.

tag

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Split ring pliers with straight jaws are my tool of choice to remove or install a front sight hood.

You hunt hard enough and you will eventually lose one. Especially an old worn out one. The original I had on my 338 was not real tight. I"ve seen plenty of rifles with no hoods. I've asked guys what happened to them and the usual answer was "lost on a hunt". So, it does happen pocono. No matter how it was installed. They pretty much go on one way and sit in the recess intended for them, but that doesn't guarantee they won't come off. I use snap ring pliers to remove and install my hoods...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great snag BSA.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

BSA,

Well, old, worn out ones that aren’t real tight must be the operative words as the front sight hoods that I’ve messed around with were actually pretty difficult to get on and off. But, I do agree, it is possible for a sight hood to fall off and be lost.

It has always been my sense that rather than being ‘lost while hunting in the thick stuff’ the majority of missing front sight hoods were removed because they interfered with the scope’s sight picture, and were then placed in a drawer to be lost or forgotten. I feel that in my younger years I hunted very hard and can’t recall ever losing one.

It helps to wrap the jaws of the pliers with a little electrical tape to prevent marring the inside of the sight hood or ramp.

Hunter S. Thompson
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I usually just tap the hood on and off with a wood block or a soft faced hammer. I guess that is a bit harder on the gun, but I don't remove/install them often at all. In addition, all of mine are old enough to have forged front ramps, which I think may be a bit easier to install a hood, and maybe a bit tougher ramp to boot.

I don't own a Pre '64 FWT (no FWTs with forged ramps), although I would own one had I been standing behind BSA when he didn't buy that .30-06 the first time he saw it!

All my rifles are scoped, but I admit I fear losing a hood. But I tend to take the Pre '64 rifles on "easy" hunts, and use stainless Classics when hunting hard.

I wonder if some hoods got removed simply because it can be easier to see the front sight in poor light (for those that actually used the iron sights?)

Last edited by GunDoc7; 07/15/19.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My .270 still has it's hood in place. Do they slide right off the front?

Yes, but some are tighter than others.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

A M70 just does not look right without a sight hood.

There are repro sight hoods currently being marketed that are very difficult to distinguish from originals. The bluing seems a little off.

Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nice pick up! Those are the same kinda deals I watch for

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

There are repro sight hoods currently being marketed that are very difficult to distinguish from originals. The bluing seems a little off.

I absolutely agree. There are also the ones that are squared off on the back, not angled on both ends. Trust me, I'll pay $40.00 for an original in good condition, when I need to. I won't use a knockoff...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

BSA,

Well, old, worn out ones that aren’t real tight must be the operative words as the front sight hoods that I’ve messed around with were actually pretty difficult to get on and off. But, I do agree, it is possible for a sight hood to fall off and be lost.

It has always been my sense that rather than being ‘lost while hunting in the thick stuff’ the majority of missing front sight hoods were removed because they interfered with the scope’s sight picture, and were then placed in a drawer to be lost or forgotten. I feel that in my younger years I hunted very hard and can’t recall ever losing one.

It helps to wrap the jaws of the pliers with a little electrical tape to prevent marring the inside of the sight hood or ramp.

Good advice pocono..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I usually just tap the hood on and off with a wood block or a soft faced hammer. I guess that is a bit harder on the gun, but I don't remove/install them often at all. In addition, all of mine are old enough to have forged front ramps, which I think may be a bit easier to install a hood, and maybe a bit tougher ramp to boot.

I don't own a Pre '64 FWT (no FWTs with forged ramps), although I would own one had I been standing behind BSA when he didn't buy that .30-06 the first time he saw it!

All my rifles are scoped, but I admit I fear losing a hood. But I tend to take the Pre '64 rifles on "easy" hunts, and use stainless Classics when hunting hard.

I wonder if some hoods got removed simply because it can be easier to see the front sight in poor light (for those that actually used the iron sights?)

All good points Gundoc.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

I absolutely agree. There are also the ones that are squared off on the back, not angled on both ends. Trust me, I'll pay $40.00 for an original in good condition, when I need to. I won't use a knockoff...

No, these repros are angled on both ends and very difficult to distinguish from the originals. I’d be very suspect of any sight hood that has no wear.

Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Worked on the stock a little today. Got rid of the weird knob on the tip of the forend. I always heard a knob like that was made so your hand doesn't slip off. smirk Opened up the barrel channel too, so it is freefloating. When I get more time, I'll glass bed it, as I have to work tonight and didn't feel like exerting the energy.... Funny thing is it only takes me about 30 minutes to glass bed one of these things anymore... I glass bed 4 rifles the other day with no problem. To be honest, the rifle shot exactly how I was expecting. Having pressure on the tip of the barrel and hitting in other spots is always a recipe for disaster. POI of the first shot is usually always off by itself, while the other shots may or may not cluster well. Generally not in most cases. I may start another thread regarding the glass bedding and freefloating and how it affects accuracy..

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Thanks all for the sight hood info, didn't mean to hijack the thread. The one on the. 270 seems pretty tight but I think I'll take it off before hunting with it.

Last edited by AlleghenyMountain; 07/15/19. Reason: Misspelled word
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

No, these repros are angled on both ends and very difficult to distinguish from the originals. I’d be very suspect of any sight hood that has no wear.

I have seen some like you mention, but 9 times out of 10, the repros are only angled on one side. They have to do that so they are not infringing on the original patent. I'll post a link from ebay, so you can see what I'm talking about. Those are the ones you need to be aware of and stay away from, IF you are a collector and like keeping things all original. Now, I wouldn't put it past someone that knows how to grind that angle on the other side to try and pass it off as an "original". Like you said, pay close attention to the finish. It is more of a matte finish and not exactly like the originals.

"NEW" PRE 64 MODEL 70 FRONT SIGHT HOOD (UNORIGINAL)

Now, to some of the other guys that aren't into keeping things 100% original these front sight hoods are pretty good. They work and they are half the price of an original.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You're going to need a bigger safe Buddy! grin

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks all for the sight hood info, didn't mean to hijack the thread. The one on the. 270 seems pretty tight but I think I'll take it off before hunting with it.

I take mine off when I elk hunt. Especially when I know I'm going to be busting through a lot of manzanita that day..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
You're going to need a bigger safe Buddy! grin

I would have, if you hadn't have bought some of my collection... grin

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Glad to help buddy..

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Damnit! no wonder I had to buy another damn safe! cry laugh

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Yeah, me too. Come to think of it... sick

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

That's okay, it'll give our survivors plenty to remember us by after sifting through tons of steel and walnut when we punch that last hunting tag. cool

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

That's okay, it'll give our survivors plenty to remember us by after sifting through tons of steel and walnut when we punch that last hunting tag. cool

Yep, that's how I see it too!!! I just hope they know how much my NF scopes are worth!!!

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
We may need to leave a note with a list of destructions. grin

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
We may need to leave a note with a list of destructions. grin

Amen brother...

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

I wouldn’t take it off.

Shared this thread with a good friend who indicated that it just may be possible to lose a sight hood while hunting in the thick stuff if one is using the gun as a trekking pole.

Hunter S. Thompson
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Dang, BSA, I kinda liked that schnabel tip. There was an article in Rifle or Handloader a few years ago explaining its purpose. But of course it is your rifle, not mine.

If Poconojack says there are sight hoods out there that almost fool even him, I'd believe him.

I agree a Model 70 with sights looks "wrong" without a hood. That said, I've considered removing both the hood and front sight and replacing with a proper width filler blank. Blasphemous, I know, but as snagless as possible while still being reversible, and makes good sense if you cannot use irons worth a hoot and want to hunt a Pre '64 hard.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Dang, BSA, I kinda liked that schnabel tip. There was an article in Rifle or Handloader a few years ago explaining its purpose. But of course it is your rifle, not mine.

If Poconojack says there are sight hoods out there that almost fool even him, I'd believe him.

I agree a Model 70 with sights looks "wrong" without a hood. That said, I've considered removing both the hood and front sight and replacing with a proper width filler blank. Blasphemous, I know, but as snagless as possible while still being reversible, and makes good sense if you cannot use irons worth a hoot and want to hunt a Pre '64 hard.

Back in the day, many guys sweated the front sights off of their fwt rifles... Now that is what is "blasphemous"..

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Back in the day, many guys sweated the front sights off of their fwt rifles... Now that is what is "blasphemous"..

Yep, lots of stuff happened when they were great rifles, but not collector's items.
Removing that sight ramp is reversible, but it takes a skilled hand.

I'm still a bit envious of you for finding that rifle at such a great deal.
You never did answer my question about when it was made.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Yep, lots of stuff happened when they were great rifles, but not collector's items.
Removing that sight ramp is reversible, but it takes a skilled hand.

I'm still a bit envious of you for finding that rifle at such a great deal.
You never did answer my question about when it was made.

Oh sorry buddy. It was made in '58. I thought that was in the description. It may not have been though. Serial #440xxx . I believe it's a really late '58 model. November or something..

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Can't wait to hear how well it shoots. On the lookout for a similar rifle myself!

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
A 30-06 Featherweight serial number 440xxx just went unbid on on Gunbroker starting at 875. I've been thinking I'd like to try a Featherweight but I've already bought two Model 70s in the past year, and I would need a bigger safe!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
A 30-06 Featherweight serial number 440xxx just went unbid on on Gunbroker starting at 875. I've been thinking I'd like to try a Featherweight but I've already bought two Model 70s in the past year, and I would need a bigger safe!

In my opinion, the featherweights are the ones to get. You get the best of both worlds. Lightweight and still very accurate. They are a little more nimble with their 22" tubes as well. This one weighs 6.5 pounds and feels great in the hands.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yeah I have never understood the need for the featherweight. If they were going to make featherweights they should have made the 257 and the 220 swift in featherweights. A featherweight 270 or 30-06 is just unnecessary recoil.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There's a lot to like about a Sporter weight rifle. All my pre 64's are standard Sporters. But I also really...... really like my short action Classic Featherweights, both blued and stainless.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The difference in weight between fwt and sporter barrels that I have had has been right around 12 ounces, and fwt bottom metal is 3 ounces less than the steel factory (pre 64) bm. Stocks are another area where the fwt stock is less, by a few ounces.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by patbrennan
The difference in weight between fwt and sporter barrels that I have had has been right around 12 ounces, and fwt bottom metal is 3 ounces less than the steel factory (pre 64) bm. Stocks are another area where the fwt stock is less, by a few ounces.

Ive had fwts weigh in right at 6.5 pounds and some standards weigh in at 9 pounds. To me, thats a substantial difference. That doesnt include the 375H&H I had. It was a pig.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
For good reason I bet!!

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I could see hunting a std rifle in something like a 300 or 338, otherwise fwts for me when I am covering some ground!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by patbrennan
I could see hunting a std rifle in something like a 300 or 338, otherwise fwts for me when I am covering some ground!

I always thought that as well, until I got my brown precision poundR on my 338WM. That rifle weighs 7 pounds on the nose and it's a joy to carry and not really that bad to shoot either. Ergonomics plays a big role in how they mitigate recoil. As far as featherweight recoil, the 308's, 270's and 30-06s have been puzzy cats to shoot. Even the ones with the original aluminum butt plate.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Stock is under slight modification right now, but got in the excellent condition sight hood. Even pocono wouldn't complain about this one!!!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here's the barreled action out of the stock:
[Linked Image]

Hey gundoc, it isn't wearing weavers. Ha ha...

Side note: Have an all original fwt stock coming to my addy as we speak... wink cool

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Side note: Have an all original fwt stock coming to my addy as we speak... wink cool

Weaver mounts are good enough for Phil Shoemaker and they were good enough for Finn Aagaard. I figure they're good enough for me. cool
First thing I said when I saw the pic was "Yep, Leupold DD's. No surprise." wink
Seriously, I think Leupold DD's and QR's are some of the prettiest mounts you can get for reasonable money. But there are reasons each don't suit me as much as others. Different people have different priorities, and there ain't a thing wrong with that. Why I like what I like is at least a page or two.
Lately, I am warming up to Burris Signature Zees as well. Let's just say I haven't had your luck with M70's, old or new, aligning rings or aligning with where the barrel is pointed.

Did the incoming stock come from the 'bay?
I don't know if you remember, but a few years ago I scored what I believe is a Fwt. stock, cut for a pad, for stupid cheap because it was not identified and marketed correctly. We had some PM's about it. I'm hanging onto it in hopes that someday I'll stumble onto a deal like the one you just did. That would have been the perfect deal for me, a good rifle in a "wrong" stock, for too cheap. And my first two choices would be .30-06 or .270, either one.
You still suck for finding that! mad Just kidding, of course.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Weaver mounts are good enough for Phil Shoemaker and they were good enough for Finn Aagaard. I figure they're good enough for me. cool
First thing I said when I saw the pic was "Yep, Leupold DD's. No surprise." wink
Seriously, I think Leupold DD's and QR's are some of the prettiest mounts you can get for reasonable money. But there are reasons each don't suit me as much as others. Different people have different priorities, and there ain't a thing wrong with that. Why I like what I like is at least a page or two.
Lately, I am warming up to Burris Signature Zees as well. Let's just say I haven't had your luck with M70's, old or new, aligning rings or aligning with where the barrel is pointed.

Did the incoming stock come from the 'bay?
I don't know if you remember, but a few years ago I scored what I believe is a Fwt. stock, cut for a pad, for stupid cheap because it was not identified and marketed correctly. We had some PM's about it. I'm hanging onto it in hopes that someday I'll stumble onto a deal like the one you just did. That would have been the perfect deal for me, a good rifle in a "wrong" stock, for too cheap. And my first two choices would be .30-06 or .270, either one.
You still suck for finding that! mad Just kidding, of course.

Ha ha. Its all good my friend. I like weaver mounts on my savage rifles. The DD's have always lined up very well. I always say they are a snap to install, but then when i install a set i am reminded that they need to be aligned perfectly and that takes a few more steps than the weavers. I actually like weaver mounts and the myriad of ring styles you can use with them. I just like giving you a hard time about using them. Im actually waiting for 2 sets of weaver style rings to show up, so i can put a new nightforce on a sako.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Due to their design, DD's can easily be aligned in the horizontal plane. But if they are off in the vertical plane, you either live with it, or figure out how to fix it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Due to their design, DD's can easily be aligned in the horizontal plane. But if they are off in the vertical plane, you either live with it, or figure out how to fix it.

I've never had a problem with the DD's on pre 64's in that regard. The classics are a different story. I am just lucky I guess. However I have been quite impressed with how well the DD's line up. I know I've posted pics of the alignment bars I use and how perfectly the DD's line up on my pre 64's. I'm always baffled when someone says their DD's don't line up on a pre 64. They/pre 64's are machined very well and didn't come out of the factory with problems, like many of the new rifles you see these days.. Now, really old sporters sometimes show poor alignment and that's when I glass bed under the mounts. Here's one I did about 6 months ago on a BSA model E I recently bought. Yes, I'm using weaver mounts on this one. She's a great rifle:
[Linked Image]
You can see a slight line of bedding material under the bases. Rifle shoots great, as everything has been gone through, to make it shoot good/great. Those improvements include bedding scope mounts, glass bedding, new Timney trigger and a few other trick moves...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

She's being turned into a 308 Norma as we speak.....

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I know you all are mostly talking about Pre 64 Winchesters, but talk about prices being low. A Classic Sporter in 270 Weatherby Magnum just went on gunbroker for $505.00. Somebody got them a good deal.

Last edited by Rugerfan4374; 07/21/19.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Rugerfan4374
I know you all are mostly talking about Pre 64 Winchesters, but talk about prices being low. A Classic Sporter in 270 Weatherby Magnum just went on gunbroker for $505.00. Somebody got them a good deal.

Holy chit, that's what im talking about

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
If the .270 is gay, is the .270 WM extra gay, out of the closet gay, transgender, what?

Sorry, I just couldn't help it. I'm actually a big fan of the .270.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

I thought you hated .300 Magnums. But the .308 Norma is OK?
See what picking on me about Weavers gets you? whistle

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

The 308 Norma magnum is what the 300wm should have been.. Winchester had their head so far up their azzes back then. Oh well that's another thread subject...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If the .270 is gay, is the .270 WM extra gay, out of the closet gay, transgender, what?

That reads, you are gay.. Doesn't it.. grin whistle I guess that kind of chit is normal now.. Carry on... eek

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

The 308 Norma magnum is what the 300wm should have been.. Winchester had their head so far up their azzes back then. Oh well that's another thread subject...

Cartridge design discussion can wait for another day. We once had a fairly long discussion wherein you said you didn't like .300 Magnums for the recoil. Which never did make sense to me, since you seem to like the .338 WM.

I think part of the issue was you did some shooting with a friend's "tanger" Ruger 77. Some say that stock is a kicker. Looking at the specs., it is hard to say why, but that stigma is out there.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

That reads, you are gay.. Doesn't it.. grin whistle I guess that kind of chit is normal now.. Carry on... eek

BSA, I'm crushed! Words matter, my friend. frown cry

Actually, I said IF the .270 was gay. Which of course it is not. It is a refined and wonderful cartridge appreciated by the cognoscenti, and the best sort of people. But you knew that. cool

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Gay or not, the Classic Sporter in a not so popular harder to find caliber going for just over 500 dollars, kind of floored me. If I didn't already have a classic sporter , and an XTR Sporter , and a Weatherby Vanguard and a Weatherby Mark V, I would have been all.over that. ( hangs my head, yes all in 270 Weatherby Magnum) So I will just continue to hold out for the ever elusive Classic Stainless 270 Weatherby Magnum.

Call it gay all you want, but the 130 Grain Bullets screaming out of the barrel at 3400 feet per second really interests me.

Last edited by Rugerfan4374; 07/22/19.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This auction of mine ended last night. 1954 M64 Deluxe in .32 Win. I got one bid for $999.99, really thought for the condition there would be more interest. That's $200 less than the current made in Turkey 94's...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xq9u05zrye0pl2m/AABYHAWu5xR3sGRYl_tZgstNa?dl=0

"My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RecoilRob
This auction of mine ended last night. 1954 M64 Deluxe in .32 Win. I got one bid for $999.99, really thought for the condition there would be more interest. That's $200 less than the current made in Turkey 94's...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xq9u05zrye0pl2m/AABYHAWu5xR3sGRYl_tZgstNa?dl=0

Damn.

Been looking all over for that gun

I'd have gave 1000 for it...

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That truly sucks. Now is not the time to be selling guns

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Oh, the old 30-06 in it's new/old stock... This one is in great condition, but someone sanded on the toe of the stock. I know what they did, they dropped the rifle on the toe and busted it and broke the plastic plate. It probably wouldn't have done that if it were the aluminum one. Another winchester screw up. Anyhow, since the profile was skewed, it was the perfect candidate for a red recoil pad:

[Linked Image]

Now after wiping it down with some old English and installing the red pad:
[Linked Image]

$150.00 stock and $30.00 pad makes a big difference. Now I need to sell the custom stock... Maybe.. confused Might recoup most of my money I spent on this stock... grin

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
BSA, YOU SUCK!!!

Seriously, nice rifle. I think maybe the only better deal I ever heard about was that .338 from Cabela's for stupid cheap.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
BSA, YOU SUCK!!!

Seriously, nice rifle. I think maybe the only better deal I ever heard about was that .338 from Cabela's for stupid cheap.

Yeah, that 338 was damn cheap. That guy stole that thing!! I seriously think some cabelas stores are good places to look. I actually saw a standard wt 270 at my nearest cabelas for $750.00 the other day. Serial number indicated it was made in 58. It had a scope on it, but was in about 80% condition

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
BSA, YOU SUCK!!!

I wish the stock wouldn't have been re-contoured at the toe. I would have left it all original. That is the correct era stock fot that rifle.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
^^^^^^^
I won't cut an uncut Pre '64 stock, but I do like a pad. Even if the rifle is not a hard kicker, with a pad it stands in a corner better, you don't worry about busting the toe (as on your recent stock), and I think they overall handle better. So I like to find stocks that someone has already cut. Takes the "guilt" out for me, and lowers the price a good bit!

You did a nice job on that pad install. You need to get that rifle shooting good, then sell it to me at a "brother-in-law" price cool

I promise not to put Weaver rings on it . . .

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
^^^^^^^
I won't cut an uncut Pre '64 stock, but I do like a pad. Even if the rifle is not a hard kicker, with a pad it stands in a corner better, you don't worry about busting the toe (as on your recent stock), and I think they overall handle better. So I like to find stocks that someone has already cut. Takes the "guilt" out for me, and lowers the price a good bit!

You did a nice job on that pad install. You need to get that rifle shooting good, then sell it to me at a "brother-in-law" price cool

I promise not to put Weaver rings on it . . .

HA HA.. you are funny. I like that though.. Check out the stock before I cut it. I agree, if it had not been "repaired" at the toe, I would have left it all original:
[Linked Image]

You can see where the angle is different than the rest of the stock near the butt. At that point, it turns into a "shooter" stock and game for glass bedding too!!! grin cool:grin I'll do my typical glass bedding and float the barrel. I don't know if it will shoot as good as my '56:
[Linked Image]

Its a sleeper:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

It shoots powerpoints and partitions well enough for me anyway...

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have noticed there is less demand for classic rifles...I have decided to start moving some that I bought for investments while there are still some buyers alive...the younger generation is so programmed to price it's pathetic...I set up at a small local gunshow last winter, and very few people ever looked at my winchesters. Only old guys....I did sell the 1895 30-03 take down..I did sell a whole lot of plane junk that was headed for the garbage...junk scopes from old rifles were a hot item...20-35 dollars...sold every one...the leupold and Burris scopes were priced well and they didn't move...

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Buddy of mine and I set up at a small local flea market/gun show, cheap scopes $20-$35.00 Tasco, Bushnell, no name whatever sell like nobody's business. We sell 10 el cheapo's to every Leupold to the point we don't even look for quality scopes anymore. I put my collectible Winchesters, Springfields, etc. back in the vault there's so little interest, won't sell them to the bottom feeders.

Last edited by gunswizard; 08/13/19.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Im hanging on to mine.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Have to wonder a bit, the new FN M70s are pretty expensive, I don’t see many in the gun stores. Seems like a lot of today’s buyers either want cheap or expensive tactical/sniper rifles. In this environment are the production days numbered once again?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well damn it, it happened again. Ive been in Reno for a few days and went to a nice little fun shop. This place was actually in sun valley. Anyway, im looking around the shop and saw so much brass and reloading supplies. Saw some 300WBY brass ad thought about the good ol days when i had one. I dont have a 300 wby anymore, but made a mental note of where that brass was hiding in one corner of the shop. The shop owner started taking rifles out of the safes and im thknking i might as well ask if he has any pre 64's. He said yes, i have 1. I asked whats it chambered in. He said 300 something and i asked H&H? He said no, i cant remember exactly what 300, so i asked Weatherby? He said, yeah i think thats what it is. I said, thats a shame. Im sure it used to be a 300H&H and he said, you might be right. He then asked if winchester ever made a pre 64 in that chambering. I said no. I then said well, when you get to it, id like to see it. When he pulled it out, he said i'll make you a hell of a deal on it, because ive had it for a long time. I looked it over and started to explain about how that used to be a popular conversion, but it greatly depreciates the value. He asked if ive seen very many of them and i said sure, on gunbroker. He asked how much they sell for and i said right around $750.00. He said ill sell it to you for "$499.00". I said, "Ill take it"!! Sold!! Ill get some pics when i get home..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Well damn it, it happened again. Ive been in Reno for a few days and went to a nice little fun shop. This place was actually in sun valley. Anyway, im looking around the shop and saw so much brass and reloading supplies. Saw some 300WBY brass ad thought about the good ol days when i had one. I dont have a 300 wby anymore, but made a mental note of where that brass was hiding in one corner of the shop. The shop owner started taking rifles out of the safes and im thknking i might as well ask if he has any pre 64's. He said yes, i have 1. I asked whats it chambered in. He said 300 something and i asked H&H? He said no, i cant remember exactly what 300, so i asked Weatherby? He said, yeah i think thats what it is. I said, thats a shame. Im sure it used to be a 300H&H and he said, you might be right. He then asked if winchester ever made a pre 64 in that chambering. I said no. I then said well, when you get to it, id like to see it. When he pulled it out, he said i'll make you a hell of a deal on it, because ive had it for a long time. I looked it over and started to explain about how that used to be a popular conversion, but it greatly depreciates the value. He asked if ive seen very many of them and i said sure, on gunbroker. He asked how much they sell for and i said right around $750.00. He said ill sell it to you for "$499.00". I said, "Ill take it"!! Sold!! Ill get some pics when i get home..

Gun whore ^^^^^^^^^ laugh

LOL
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Thank God it wasn't one of those hard kicking .300 Win. Mags! cool
hell, a Magnum action is prolly worth $500. What does the stock look like?
Does your wife know you're a thief?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Ha ha!!!! Ive seen just the H&H receiver/action with bolt and floor plate sell for $1,000.00, so i think i did alright. The stock doesnt look bad, but its had a recoil pad installed. It also still has its original sights and front hood!!!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Im not a huge fan of the short necked 300 winny. Had one, tried it for years. Always liked the weatherby better. Still have a good die set for the wby and im going to put it to good use. Ive actually been eyeballing beretzs 300wby for quite a while now. Now i have one of my own. I may look for a McMillan for it here shortly.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Back a few posts, on 7/22, I remarked on only getting $1000 for a minty M64 Deluxe. When I had it, I sourced out an original sling & swivels for the gun. I thought I was crazy to pay $100 for it 20 years ago, it just sold on Ebay for $300.

$1000 for the gun, $300 for the sling w/swivels, the cash is in the details.

"My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income."

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RecoilRob
Back a few posts, on 7/22, I remarked on only getting $1000 for a minty M64 Deluxe. When I had it, I sourced out an original sling & swivels for the gun. I thought I was crazy to pay $100 for it 20 years ago, it just sold on Ebay for $300.

$1000 for the gun, $300 for the sling w/swivels, the cash is in the details.

Yep. Old Winchester stuff used to be a sure bet as an investment for the future. Not so much anymore, as you have to be a lot more selective.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Nice snag. I don't buy guns any more as an investment, just to have/hunt with what I really want. Last 4 guns bought have been 3 pre 64s and one 33/40 project!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I’ll give you 599 for it.... whistle

They make some great donors. My 375 Improved is one of the same such converted H&H’s.

I believe I’d do a 416 with the next one I find.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by beretzs; 08/30/19.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

They make some great donors. My 375 Improved is one of the same such converted H&H’s.

[Linked Image]

Awesome scotty. You should show a pic of your 300WBY

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

[Linked Image]

Awesome scotty. You should show a pic of your 300WBY

That is what used to be the 300 Wby. I tried everything to make it shoot but I couldn’t get anything with any combo under 2”. Sooooo it went off to JES on an experiment to keep the factory barrel and became a 375 Improved.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Oh, ok. Now we know the rest of the story. Damn smart move man. Trying to find an original 375 H&H barrel of the same year as the receiver is like winning the lottery. Finding a 300H&H barrel is a lot easier. Ive seen them for $300.00 on occasion. Im hoping my wby will be a sweet shooter. Fingers crossed.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Oh, ok. Now we know the rest of the story. Damn smart move man. Trying to find an original 375 H&H barrel of the same year as the receiver is like winning the lottery. Finding a 300H&H barrel is a lot easier. Ive seen them for $300.00 on occasion. Im hoping my wby will be a sweet shooter. Fingers crossed.

Same here, most of them have been easy with 7828 and a decent bullet. Probably one of the easiest big cartridges I have loaded for..

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Damn prices are low? All depends upon what kind of gun floats your boat.

Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

That’s a fact....

laissez les bons temps rouler
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Well, now you got me curious, Jack. I suspect you are speaking of higher end guns, so prices are never truly "low." But it's a relative thing. Are there some guns where the current prices are relatively high for what they are?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Sounds like you and your buddy battue need to step out of the box a little bit. Broaden your horizons. You sit at home all day long, you'll never find good gun deals. Its a fact that prices are damn low on the majority of firearms right now. Its a buyers market. Ive listed many examples of different rifles and shotguns, that ive either seen or bought for super cheap prices. Eventually prices will go up, as they always do. As for now, i buy the ones that are super cheap. The Beretta 303 trap gun i bought last month for $360.00 is a great example. You cant touch those anywhere for less than $700.00. The pre 64 30-06 featherweight i bought a day after i bought the Beretta is another prime example. Ive been offered almost twice what i paid for it. Prices arent cheap? When was the last time you priced out an H&H receiver? There are still guys out there that prefer that particular receiver for custom builds. Prices on those arent cheap, but every once in a while youll run across an old rifle with an H&H receiver at a low price and youll know you hit the jackpot. As s matter of fact, that reminds me of a 300 win mag built on an H&H. That rifle was only $400.00. Thats pretty damn cheap to me. Get out and look around, you might even find some good deals out there.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You are right. The good high end items are not getting any less expensive. The used Pre 64’s are getting cheaper only because the new kids don’t want them.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Good deals were always to be found. I recently got out and found a great deal on a Krieghoff. It was a deal and not the norm.

A great deal doesn’t mean prices are low when compared to buying between knowledgeable buyers.

Last edited by battue; 09/04/19.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
BSA has been on a real hot streak recently. I'm either going to have to start bird dogging him or convince him to adopt me. cool

For the new kids, even those looking for bolt guns as opposed to AR's, the accuracy/price/value of some of the new "stamped out" rifles will get your attention. For high volume shooting, I've been tempted myself.
But if you like to watch a rifle control feed, even if you don't need it to but you appreciate the design and history of the concept, and if you prefer a safety that takes control of the striker, the old designs . . . yes.
I wonder if some of the new kids will come around as their knowledge of some of the finer points increases?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by battue
You are right. The good high end items are not getting any less expensive. The used Pre 64’s are getting cheaper only because the new kids don’t want them.

Yeah, that sucks too!! Dang kids.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
BSA has been on a real hot streak recently. I'm either going to have to start bird dogging him or convince him to adopt me. cool

For the new kids, even those looking for bolt guns as opposed to AR's, the accuracy/price/value of some of the new "stamped out" rifles will get your attention. For high volume shooting, I've been tempted myself.
But if you like to watch a rifle control feed, even if you don't need it to but you appreciate the design and history of the concept, and if you prefer a safety that takes control of the striker, the old designs . . . yes.
I wonder if some of the new kids will come around as their knowledge of some of the finer points increases?

I sure hope so buddy. I think a lot of us here have a great respect for the paul mauser design. When i was 12, my parents gave me my first centerfire rifle. It was a very nicely sporterized m1917 30-06. We could not afford pre 64 model 70's back then, so now when i find one for under $500.00 and its in great condition, im buying it!!!!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Im going to start my 14 year old nephew out on a beautifully sporterized m98 8mm mauser. His dad gave it to my dad and then i refinished and re-blued and glass bedded it, then i found the proper mounts and scoped it. First 5 shot group (with my handloads) printed 3/4" at 100 yards. Some kids are started off right, so they too will have an appreciation for classic firearms.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Worked on the stock a little today. Got rid of the weird knob on the tip of the forend. I always heard a knob like that was made so your hand doesn't slip off. smirk Opened up the barrel channel too, so it is freefloating. When I get more time, I'll glass bed it, as I have to work tonight and didn't feel like exerting the energy.... Funny thing is it only takes me about 30 minutes to glass bed one of these things anymore... I glass bed 4 rifles the other day with no problem. To be honest, the rifle shot exactly how I was expecting. Having pressure on the tip of the barrel and hitting in other spots is always a recipe for disaster. POI of the first shot is usually always off by itself, while the other shots may or may not cluster well. Generally not in most cases. I may start another thread regarding the glass bedding and freefloating and how it affects accuracy..

You filed off a Schnabel forend tip? God forbid if you ever get your hands on a Featherweight Model 70.

Is your middle name Bubba?

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Sounds like you and your buddy battue need to step out of the box a little bit. Broaden your horizons. You sit at home all day long, you'll never find good gun deals. Its a fact that prices are damn low on the majority of firearms right now. Its a buyers market. Ive listed many examples of different rifles and shotguns, that ive either seen or bought for super cheap prices. Eventually prices will go up, as they always do. As for now, i buy the ones that are super cheap. The Beretta 303 trap gun i bought last month for $360.00 is a great example. You cant touch those anywhere for less than $700.00. The pre 64 30-06 featherweight i bought a day after i bought the Beretta is another prime example. Ive been offered almost twice what i paid for it. Prices arent cheap? When was the last time you priced out an H&H receiver? There are still guys out there that prefer that particular receiver for custom builds. Prices on those arent cheap, but every once in a while youll run across an old rifle with an H&H receiver at a low price and youll know you hit the jackpot. As s matter of fact, that reminds me of a 300 win mag built on an H&H. That rifle was only $400.00. Thats pretty damn cheap to me. Get out and look around, you might even find some good deals out there.

Clueless.

Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
This one was so cheap, they practically gave it away to me:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
375 winchester. Big bore 94, made in '79

Ok, here's the '59 300H&H, converted to WBY that I was telling you guys about. I started taking it apart and cleaning it up, but you get the idea. I took the rock hard white line pachmayr recoil pad off and will replace it with a red decelerator I have laying around. I'll probably end up doing that tomorrow:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The metal is in really good condition. It even has it's front hood!!!!!! I'm thinking it's a score for $499.00. Not truly collectible, but still a great find.

Here's some pics of the stock, after I wiped it down with some special stock sauce:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That 300 looks great. Can’t wait till you get that one up and running. I’d absolutely say you scored for 500 bucks BSA.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks Scotty! I will install the red pachmayr today. That will spruce it up a bit and help with absorbing recoil. Now I have 2 pre 64's to glass bed. Oh well, might as well start lining them up. I glass bed 4 rifles at the same time last month.... Oh, by the way, I'm surprised this one is crack free. Kind of odd for a heavy kicker. I'm thinking it didn't get shot much, as an H&H or a WBY.. Rifling still looks very sharp. Got my fingers crossed that it's going to be a good shooter... I may just run 180gr partitions in this one. Those are a digging bastid in these 300WBY's.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 3584ELK

You filed off a Schnabel forend tip? God forbid if you ever get your hands on a Featherweight Model 70.

Is your middle name Bubba?

That stock didn't cost a damn thing and is an easy sell on ebay for $150.00. After selling the stock, it pays for the one that is on it now. As for the schnabel, it was hideous. It looks better now. And yes, if you want to call me Bubba, you can, but keep in mind, I fix these rifles up and they shoot far better than any other model 70 you can find. They function 100% and hunt very well... I'll never grind a bolt handle though, like some guys will, never drill an extra hole in the receiver or take away value from a pre 64 barreled action. I also love throwing them in mcmillans and shooting them. There are some of us here that grew up on these model 70's and some that hunt the heck out of them, some shoot the heck out of them, some keep them in a glass case just so them can look at them from time to time. This forum isn't all about collector grade winchesters and this has been brought up a few times in the past. Please share something positive to this forum, if you can.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
bsa,
Re: The 300 H&H/Weatherby, I'll ask one more time.
Does your wife know you're a thief?!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bsa,
Re: The 300 H&H/Weatherby, I'll ask one more time.
Does your wife know you're a thief?!

Ha ha... I'm glad you like that one buddy... It will be a while before I shoot it. I still have a die set and plenty of brass, just short on time. I plan on shooting my new SKS today and working on my AR's... I know, why those instead of this beauty? Well, I'll get the red pachmayr installed, but that's about it for this old girl today. Next weekend I plan on doing some glass bedding.... Got the fwt to glass bed too:

[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've a cheap SKS that has become a money pit extraordinaire. It is not that it all that much money, but the initial cost / extra $ spent / results ratio (however one figures it), is all eff'd up.
Maybe better a PM than to further sully the Winchester Collector's forum with SKS, but I'd be interested in the particulars of yours, how it shoots, and with what ammo.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've a cheap SKS that has become a money pit extraordinaire. It is not that it all that much money, but the initial cost / extra $ spent / results ratio (however one figures it), is all eff'd up.
Maybe better a PM than to further sully the Winchester Collector's forum with SKS, but I'd be interested in the particulars of yours, how it shoots, and with what ammo.

This one shoots great. See pic below:
[Linked Image]

My dad bought this one back in the 90's. It was unfired/new. Its a Yugoslavian model with the grenade launcher. It was a blast to shoot today. Heres how it groups with wolf 122gr hollow point ammo:

[Linked Image]
This is just steel cased el cheapo ammo. My dad had thousands of rounds for the sks. I'm going to be working on breaking in this brand new barrel.... grin it might take me a while...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well, I finally put that recoil pad on my newly acquired 300wby. Here's how she looks now. I'll probably glass bed the featherweight and this one this weekend:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I think it looks a lot better now. I also put the original sling swivels back on it. Take a gander at this bottom metal. The metal on this one is in pretty good condition:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The front action screw is a little buggered up. I'll put a new one in it eventually...

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Well done bsa. That looks really nice with that pad addition. 👍

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Yep looks great, a red pad sure dresses up a pre 64 M70 nicely

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That’s real nice BSA. You did real good with that one.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
That's a nice rifle. Hard to sell .300Weatherby to anyone when .338 WinMag is readily available.
I looked over real nice .300 Weatherby rifle on FN Supreme action with German made Weatherby scope. Why didn't I buy it in spite of very enticing price? With scope mounted 1.5" above bore rifle sighted at 200 yards 180gr bullet from .30-06 drops only about 8 inches more at 400 yards then the .300 Weatherby, useless.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
It's a soft market for sure.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm halfheartedly trying to buy an 1897 Winchester. Halfheartedly because I already bought enough guns this year and I'm trying to push it off for the new year. But my word, I recently bid $200 for an 1897 on GB and it sold for $205! They're so cheap right now even with me fooling around I'm almost bringing them home.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by moosemike
I'm halfheartedly trying to buy an 1897 Winchester. Halfheartedly because I already bought enough guns this year and I'm trying to push it off for the new year. But my word, I recently bid $200 for an 1897 on GB and it sold for $205! They're so cheap right now even with me fooling around I'm almost bringing them home.

The 1897 should be more valuable than common as dirt Model 12 field grade shotgun. Fewer were made and they see use in SASS. These is really kool shotguns especially if of "ball n shot type" ie long barrel 1/4 choke. These should be more valuable as "two ball shot" loads are now available.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Prices can come and go, and to hell with a hard or soft market, that will be my survivors problem after the backhoe bucket is dirtied and the flowers are dead! smile I aint selling sheet ; ]

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Slavek
Originally Posted by moosemike

The 1897 should be more valuable than common as dirt Model 12 field grade shotgun. Fewer were made and they see use in SASS. These is really kool shotguns especially if of "ball n shot type" ie long barrel 1/4 choke. These should be more valuable as "two ball shot" loads are now available.

You can't hardly give pump shotguns away to the younger generation of today, especially one with a hammer. Most are more interested in buying semis or some cheap Turkish O/U.

As far as 97's go, dimensions are far from modern and almost all have so much drop you have to shoot them off your chin, along with balance being sup-par. Many early Model 12’s have the same stock dimension issues. Not so much with later examples.

Last edited by battue; 10/01/19.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 56 invisible), 2,090 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,078
Posts18,463,841
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.