Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
OP Offline
A
I was gifted a Christiansen Mesa chambered in 6.5 PRC for fathers day. I've been shooting the Hornady ELD-X bullets in their Precision Hunter line of ammo. I have this thing shooting sub-MOA and really like the way I am grouping with this setup. However, I have been shooting these bullets for obvious reasons....its literally the only factory hunting ammunition for this caliber. That being said, I am not so sure I'm sold on the construction of these bullets. They shoot well out of my gun but they seem awful soft and the jackets seem to separate from the core (based on buddies bullets they've recovered from animals they've killed and gel tests I have seen with this particular bullet). I have two elk tags for this coming fall and I don't really care to have a bad experience with hitting a shoulder and regretting my decision to go with the Precision Hunter ammo. Should I have someone reload some of this brass I have with a different bullet? Two that are particularly on my mind are the Barnes LRX 127 gr and the Nosler Partition 140 gr. Both of these bullets should bust through a heavy elk shoulder in the event that i send one into the shoulder this fall....not so sure that the ELD-X by Hornady will carry into the shoulder like the other two mentioned. Curious to get some feedback on first hand experience and wisdom from the more experienced elk hunters out there. This fall will be my first time elk hunting. Should I stick with whats grouping well or should I get some more solidly constructed bullets hand loaded? If I knew I could get the same accuracy out of the other two mentioned, I would surely make the switch.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd prefer a 142g Nosler Long Range AB or Swift 130g Scirocco II or Barnes 127g LRX or 140 Partition to the ELD-X.

Not a fan of cup/core bullets and high impact velocities for big game. Hoping Federal makes the 6.5mm Edge TLR available as a component before I get my 6.5 PRC built.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Definitely find you a good handloader ( it sounds like you do not handload) In the smaller caliber like 6.5/284 (which is comparable), I used 120/125 Noslers for deer/antelope like pure lightning bolts! While I would shoot and elk witht he 125 partition, I like the Monos or heavier Partitions on elk. The Barnes 127 LRX is one I personally would try first. Good luck to you and you must be "one wonderful Father" to get a Mesa for Fathers Day! smile

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
With the kind of speed that you are dealing with, I would go with the 127 LRX. I have not used it, as I do not need a super-tough bullet. If you do some searching, there have been quite a few accounts of how well they work and they will stay together at the higher speeds. Standard bullets work well at moderate velocities, but speed and copper go together.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
Definitely find you a good handloader ( it sounds like you do not handload) In the smaller caliber like 6.5/284 (which is comparable), I used 120/125 Noslers for deer/antelope like pure lightning bolts! While I would shoot and elk witht he 125 partition, I like the Monos or heavier Partitions on elk. The Barnes 127 LRX is one I personally would try first. Good luck to you and you must be "one wonderful Father" to get a Mesa for Fathers Day! smile

lol- I am blessed to have three awesome young kids and a fantastic wife. The oldest is 5, then 3 and 1. My wife asked the 5 and 3 year old what they should get me for fathers day. The 5 year old spoke up without any hesitation at all..."lets get him a gun!"

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by aeaston517

lol- I am blessed to have three awesome young kids and a fantastic wife. The oldest is 5, then 3 and 1. My wife asked the 5 and 3 year old what they should get me for fathers day. The 5 year old spoke up without any hesitation at all..."lets get him a gun!"

My dog got me a gun safe and a Nightforce for Dad’s Day. Twice daily runs with the dog paid dividends. Congrats on your new Stick.
😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Beaver10

My dog got me a gun safe and a Nightforce for Dad’s Day. Twice daily runs with the dog paid dividends. Congrats on your new Stick.
😎

There's a hundred different ways to code a purchase. That's funny right there smile

A
OP Offline
A
I'm pretty sure I'm going to have a local guy reload some ammo for me. I'm leaning hard toward the 127 LRX right now. I need to get dies for the 6.5 PRC as my guy doesn't have dies for the PRC yet. Any suggestions on good dies? I'm not a reloading guy obviously. I'll probably ask him what he prefers and go from there.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I'm pretty sure I'm going to have a local guy reload some ammo for me. I'm leaning hard toward the 127 LRX right now. I need to get dies for the 6.5 PRC as my guy doesn't have dies for the PRC yet. Any suggestions on good dies? I'm not a reloading guy obviously. I'll probably ask him what he prefers and go from there.

You need to become a reloader. You'll be glad you did.

FWIW, the 127 LRX wasn't as accurate as the 120 E-Tip and 120 TTSX in my 26 Nosler. But you don't know until you try it.

DF

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Hesp, where are you? Tell him what you do with the 120 TTSX in your 6.5/06? smile

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I like and use Hornady New Dimension dies. 6.5 PRC for a bit less than $40 at Midway USA. I learned how to use dies/press from a good friend myself. Before that, I was a self taught LEE Loader, you "hammered them in the die and hammered them out. Primed, charge, seat the bullet, hammer a crimp, good to go". ha I traded a rifle for an RCBS Rock Chucker Reloading Kit. I already had scales. I still use that same Rock Chucker from 1978! Get you a couple boxes of ammo, shoot them at the range, breaking in your rifle, getting your scope set. Take rifle, brass, dies, your bullet choice to your friend. Watch him close. Let him work up a good load. Then, you start learning from him how to load "that load" yourself, on his equipment. Then you will know what you need for your own set up when you are ready. Good luck to you pard!

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 07/07/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Family and friends took 11 big game animals last fall with my 6.5 PRC, four elk, three mule deer bucks, two whitetails, two antelope, all with 139gr scenars.

If that isn't a fair size test sample, I don't know what is......

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The 139 Scenar is never a bad choice. My Shilen barreled Swede does best with that bullet over MRP.

DF

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Family and friends took 11 big game animals last fall with my 6.5 PRC, four elk, three mule deer bucks, two whitetails, two antelope, all with 139gr scenars.

Pat what distances were these shot at? Does be scenar exit or does it act more like a berger?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pat,

Do you shoot a 6.5 Creedmoor? And if yes, what scenar and what load, if you can share?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by laker
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

Pat what distances were these shot at? Does be scenar exit or does it act more like a berger?

Lots of variables in whether any bullet is going to leave an exit or not..... I’ve had some Scenars exit, some not. Just like any other....

I’m sure Pat will agree that the Scenar is more robust than the Bergers,ELDs, AMaxes etc. I keep them in 123, 139, 150, 155, and 180s and they’ve pretty much replaced all others as my game bullet.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Pat,

Do you shoot a 6.5 Creedmoor? And if yes, what scenar and what load, if you can share?

Obviously not Pat, but I've seen reports of him using the CM. He's off and running with the PRC for now.

I've shot the 123 Scenar in my 6,5 CM with good results.

Here's my best load out of a light M-700 with Shilen barrel in McWoody Mtn Rifle stock.

As others have posted, Scenars are just so easy to load for, with good performance both at the range and on critters.

DF

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
David, My Tikka T3X Creed loves the 139 Scenar and Rl 26! This was 17 shots in a row starting with a cold clean bore. Will take it out to 600 soon as I can and see how they do!

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
[He's off and running with a 16" 22Creed now.

fixt it for ya, DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
[He's off and running with a 16" 22Creed now.

fixt it for ya, DF

grin

It's da boolit, not the headstamp...

RTSJ. What's you magic powder charge for that load?

May need to try it.

DF

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
411 members (1lesfox, 300jimmy, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 42 invisible), 2,089 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,021
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.